Download Maps

Timex2

Hi there, my name is Greg and my callsign is Timex2. I'm a new user of Steel Beasts Pro Pe 4.1. I would like to download some maps! I attempted to download a couple of maps with not any luck! The maps I attempted to download appear to be zip files? Once I download a map it goes into my downloads folder. When I copy and paste the map file it won't work! I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong! Anyones help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi and welcome.

Firstly you need to unzip or otherwise decompress / expand the map file.

Then depending on the map type (file extension) it goes in a different place.

In addition depending on the age of the map you are trying to download it may not work with 4.167 (or later).

If you can provide a bit more detail I maybe able to help.

Edited by Gibsonm

Hi, and thank you for your help. I downloaded two Map file from SB website. The files were downloaded but when I tried to open the Map file but it wouldn't allow me. I don't have a unzip program on my computer. Could you kindly suggest a good zip / unzip program that I can download? From what I understand is I'm to open two windows windows on my computer screen. I'm to drag the Map files and place it in SB Map folder. That's all I know for now!! 

Wow, I see your a Senior Member and you have a tone of awards!! Do you have a rank in SB Pro Pe 4.1? I wish I would of bought the Military version so I could create my own Maps!! I really have no complaints!! SB Pro Pe 4.1 is absolutely amazing!! I love amour warfare and I own a number of Tank simulators, but none of them come even close to SB pro Pe 4.1. I love how realistic SB is! I've talked with Nils, aka Ssnake. I must of sent him 15 or more emails asking questions. I thought Nils was a Tech, it turns out that Nils is the Director of ESims. He was very helpful!! He suggested I join this group if I'm looking for some help! 

I hope that I gave you enough info? If not please just ask,

Timex2  

Welcome mate!

Here's what you need to know:

Steel Beasts had basically 3 different map eras. The 1st, a long time ago, was a raw image format, .raw, 8 and then 16bits. Then they changed it to .hgt, still a .raw image format but also compatible with jpg2000. Then, not so long ago, everything changed to the current packages maps. Before the packages format, a map was made of basically two files, a .hgt for the heightmap and a .ter, for the terrain map. The terrain map is where the roads, objects and terrain tiles are located. Steel Beasts is a retro compatible software, which means that it accepts all its legacy formats, so nothing is lost. But sometimes, you need to do some tweaking to get it to work. With that in mind, here are your options:

1- The map you're looking for was already converted to the new packaged format and is in the converted maps package found at esimgames download page.

2- The map you downloaded is in .hgt format. Iit probably also has its respective .ter file included. Extract the zip, and place them, respectively at: Local Drive:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\

The .hgt goes to \height

The .ter goes to \terrain

Start Steel Beasts program and go to Map Editor. Click on "Open Default Map". Then once it opens, go to file, import from .Ter and locate the .ter file that you downloaded, extracted and copied/moved to the terrain folder. Steel Beasts will then convert the map to the new format.

3- The map is in .raw format. Most likely, the map is very old and it's either not worth it or it was already converted. If you still want to go on with it, just rename it to .hgt and place it in the height folder, and the ter file, in the terrain folder. Follow the same procedure above and you are good to go.

4- Your map is already in packages format. You need to find its map ID, then go to map downloads tool and query and download it there.

Hope this help, any question, just shoot and I'm more than happy to help.

Cheers

Thank you so much for your help, its greatly appreciated!! It all sounds very complicated but I'll do my best and figure it out! Are you from Australia? I'm from Canada. Just to give you some knowledge, Canada has been using the Leopard 2A6M and the Leopard 2A4M Main Battle Tanks!! Its a great simulator, its just going to take a while to figure it all out. Thanks again for your help,

Timex2

That would be great, but I'm just heading out here shortly. I'm home all day tomorrow if there's a good time for you. Just let me know what time and I'll make sure I'm available! Bye the way, what is TS? I have never used this TS! Thanks for all your help, its appreciated!!

Timex2 

Step one - get a utility to UnZip the file (without that you can't go further and you can't determine if its a RAW, TER, HGT or whatever file).

There are numerous "freeware" applications that can help with this.

Step two - grab a copy of Teamspeak (its effectively the default comms package for voice).

If you get a chance have a look here (includes a link to get Teamspeak): https://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Starter_Pack

Hi there, my apologies for my late reply!! Iève been away from my computer doing some running around!! I would like to chat, but I have no idea what TS is, or how it works!! I have a question, if you donèt mind! In the mission editor I have made a number of different missions! One thing I notice is when Ièm in the thick of things I noticed that all my units ignored enemy troops and sometime my tank platoons will ignore enemy targets! I don't know what I'm doing wrong! Also in the mission editor how do you properly create an objective. I have been creating my own objectives by clicking on the top menu and clicking on new graphic, rectangle, then I just type objective and that's it!! I'm pretty sure im not doing it correctly!! Thanks again for all your help!!

Timex2

21 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Step one - get a utility to UnZip the file (without that you can't go further and you can't determine if its a RAW, TER, HGT or whatever file).

There are numerous "freeware" applications that can help with this.

Step two - grab a copy of Teamspeak (its effectively the default comms package for voice).

If you get a chance have a look here (includes a link to get Teamspeak): https://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Starter_Pack

Thank You very much. I downloaded Cam Unzip 5, have you heard of this program, it was recommended. I will give it a try and see what happens!! 

12 minutes ago, Timex2 said:

Hi there, my apologies for my late reply!! Iève been away from my computer doing some running around!! I would like to chat, but I have no idea what TS is, or how it works!! I have a question, if you donèt mind! In the mission editor I have made a number of different missions! One thing I notice is when Ièm in the thick of things I noticed that all my units ignored enemy troops and sometime my tank platoons will ignore enemy targets! I don't know what I'm doing wrong! Also in the mission editor how do you properly create an objective. I have been creating my own objectives by clicking on the top menu and clicking on new graphic, rectangle, then I just type objective and that's it!! I'm pretty sure im not doing it correctly!! Thanks again for all your help!!

Timex2

When you say "enemy" you do have them as Red units?

If the "enemy" are Blue units too then the Friendly forces wont engage because they are both on the same side.

Again I refer you to the Starter Pack where there are a series of videos from Toyguy which will lead you through the fundamentals.

1 hour ago, Timex2 said:

The the units are red and I set the Red side to computer controlled. Do you have the link to Toyguy. Thanks again for your help!!

Re the link just click on the Start Pack wiki link that I posted in the 8th post in this thread:

https://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/14557-download-maps/?do=findComment&comment=210369

• 2 weeks later...