Getting paid to play SB

RedWardancer

4 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Yeah, the individual tank isn't that hard to learn (well, there's always the CV90/35 for you...). But it's the multitude of different systems that, eventually, gets the better of you. Not that they couldn't be learned and mastered. After all, each fire control system has to solve more or less the same problem, getting a ballistic round from a moving platform to another moving platform. But each system has it's own way of doing so, reflecting the different ways that people think about the problem and come to different conclusions. But I don't think that there's anyone who is equally proficient of every single weapon system that is being modelled in SB Pro. You have to make your selection, ideally across time so you can play online in a wide spectrum of games.

comeon the cv9035 is not that hard to learn... it is very simple to use...  :D

58 minutes ago, Koen said:

Great pics

and lot’s of foxes where you live ?

(and interesting comments all, thx)

52 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Wow. Those are awesome. 

Cheers!

Pretty average Red Fox population for North America, I imagine. I've mostly been focusing on finding owls though so haven't seen one in about 2 years.

I just watched a multiplayer match on YouTube... looks awesome. I need to get into MP when I have more time, it's bringing back good memories from my DOD:S days. The sim aspect brings another element I haven't experienced yet. Lifelong simmer, but only singleplayer.

11 hours ago, SippyCup said:

I'm also a firm believer in not making the thing you truly love your primary income even if it's a success unless you can handle it changing, because it will. It adds many other factors (too obvious to state) and I can think of at least a dozen YouTubers I've been subscribed to who have suffered burnout from this over the years.

I have to disagree with you here.  Even if you don´t do what you like for a living changes are going to summon on you anyway no matter what, that´s part of the substances of life. We overcome, we procced, we change, although we try to change the least to maintain purity, self respect and discipline. At least some of us do.

Working and getting paid for what you love/like is the best thing one can do IMO. I personally consider people who love, and enjoy there job very fortunate. But in doing so, that doesn't mean it´s going to be easy, or not have any issues!  Even a farmer who loves his land is going to have unfortunate problems that he/she will have to overcome.  We regards to burning out, well life will burn you out one way or the other on multiple occasions without warning, that´s just how it goes.  As they say, "when the going gets tough, the tough get going".

As for YT, you have to be very constant, 2 or 3 videos a week, have charisma and try to be a bit different then the rest, be educated and polite with no preferences or dislikes on others opinions, and be able to choose your topics very wisely.  Seem that you are enjoying what your doing, and know what your doing, specially if your doing tutorials.  Positive attitude, and try to be your best, at least on the surface!  Not that this is a formula, but just how I see it from alot of videos I watch.

Sure something can break your heart, but the more they break your heart, the better you get at it, We are meant to survive!

7 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I think it's fair to say that you have missed out the best part of the Steel Beasts Experience.

Definitely. Still having fun with SP though. I had a 3-server clan from 2008-2011 and sank way too many hours into gaming (have some great memories though) so switched to singleplayer in moderation. SB would definitely be more manageable in every aspect.

5 hours ago, Red2112 said:

I have to disagree with you here.  Even if you don´t do what you like for a living changes are going to summon on you anyway no matter what, that´s part of the substances of life.

Understood. I chose a versatile career that I enjoy and constantly take on side-projects. Life is always evolving. Photography (the whole experience, lots of hiking and camping) is the one thing I take personally. It's fundamentally about solitude, and making it a primary income would be too transformative. Completely doable (I did venture down that route and realized where it led) but not what I want in the slightest.

^

I also do alot of hiking, and nature (+ solitude) is what soothes my soul, I add some bushcarft and I feel great out there. So yes, I understand what you mean because I have been doing this since I was a teen, and no, I would not go that route either, although I admire mountain guides, I rather preserve my nature experiences for myself. I also got into photography this year. Bought myself a Rebel T7i and a Sony RX100 III this year. A side from nature photography, I will also try astrophotography with the Rebel with a small Meade 80mm f/5 refractor scope I have, but that´s more into the future.

Awesome, I have done astro for a few years too. I like Meade and f/5 is good and fast for exposures. I use Celestron. My current setup is an equatorial (CGEM 1100)

Was at a lake in the forests of Nova Scotia a few years ago looking for wildlife when a Sea King dropped by to do exercises. They eventually noticed me and waved, then came over to my end so I could get better shots. Was great. Lots of low, fast passes, water landings, and a thumbs up as they left. This is the aircraft that prince William flew when he was here. Too bad I'll never randomly stumble across any armored vehicles.

7mHIhxj.jpg

9qDzy9L.jpg

Edited by SippyCup

Great pics! I bet that was a surprise indeed! I am sure the wildlife wasn't to happy about it though 😃  I want to update my Meade to the recently new Explorer Scientific ED80 (80mm f/6 APO) when I get the money together for it.

https://explorescientificusa.com/products/ed80-essential-series-air-spaced-triplet-refractor

A short review:

https://astrobackyard.com/refractor-telescope/

Sorry for the off topic folks!

On 12/16/2020 at 12:28 PM, Apocalypse 31 said:

This.

1. The OPFOR is there to assist the training audience meet their Training Objectives. OPFOR is never there to play to win, nor would I ever imagine any military organization being comfortable with allowing a bunch of civilians to fight against a military unit. In most of the exercises that I've run, you will have a single person running the OPFOR cell, with several 'pucksters' (people who just move units when told to do so) controlling the fight and closely tied into the Exercise Control Group (ECG) to ensure that the training audience is meeting their training objectives. For larger scenarios (multi-day/week), daily synchronization is required and the OPFOR will tailor its plan to ensure that the exercise training objectives are being met. 

2. Simulations. VBS is the more popular simulation platform where I work, and VBS-4 is the way of the future: a 'one-sized-fits-all' platform that can be used to meet Platoon training objectives all the way through Corps training objectives. If we were to use SB as our platform then we would have an even smaller market to sell our 'OPFOR Group' to.

And for shits and giggles:

My most popular Youtube Video has 26,463 views, and its a freaking video of DCS tank combat (and I really dislike this video)

Valid points all

To add my 50 cents, then I have been doing OPFOR for Kanium for years. I do not consider my job to win.

But rather to emulate real combat within the limitations of my limited skillset and knowledge as well as the software.

So IMHO you got to leave your ego at the door. Because you have to keep +20 guys entertained, and hopefully challenged. So more a teacher/trainer role to add depth and unpredictability to the simulation.

But perhaps more relevantly, then I consider my task to be to give the players a challenge as well as a fun experience. We play in this context to have fun in our sparetime.

Money ... ?

Well ...

Me and a few other guys have also been presenting the software at Copenhagen Games, but not for money. But rather because it was fun, but having said that then again IMHO if your goal is to make mney, then make it happen. 

Find your way whether its streaming or tying it in with other activities. And just do it. Fail or no then try doing it with 100% effort.

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2021 at 2:20 PM, Nike-Ajax said:

Valid points all

To add my 50 cents, then I have been doing OPFOR for Kanium for years. I do not consider my job to win.

But rather to emulate real combat within the limitations of my limited skillset and knowledge as well as the software.

So IMHO you got to leave your ego at the door. Because you have to keep +20 guys entertained, and hopefully challenged. So more a teacher/trainer role to add depth and unpredictability to the simulation.

But perhaps more relevantly, then I consider my task to be to give the players a challenge as well as a fun experience. We play in this context to have fun in our sparetime.

Money ... ?

Well ...

Me and a few other guys have also been presenting the software at Copenhagen Games, but not for money. But rather because it was fun, but having said that then again IMHO if your goal is to make mney, then make it happen. 

Find your way whether its streaming or tying it in with other activities. And just do it. Fail or no then try doing it with 100% effort.

Well said sir.

Most missions i participate in lead to mutual destruction if the opfor has equipment of similar quality.

• 2 months later...

I agree that it's impossible to boost popularity on YouTube and Twitch on SB. Those platforms have a vested interest in getting a wide audience engaged. You'd better stream mostly popular games, like Minecraft, if you want to stream. Like the Jackbox series, you can set up Minecraft so that viewers can join the game and go on fun adventures together on minecraft survival servers. It's also a relatively relaxing game, and you can focus most of your mental faculties on interacting with the audience.

Edited by gabiereholl

• 5 months later...

I'm afraid I have to disagree with the statement that the game's popularity affects earnings. The Internet is saturated with gaming content. People play games, watch streams, and have access to any information. Viewers have long been interested in a charismatic presentation, not interesting gameplay.  However, I cannot deny that a channel where there will be videos only about SB will most likely not be popular. The content should be diverse. The best option is to start your creativity with Minecraft. Videos about the best Minecraft skyblock servers are gaining a huge number of views because they are interesting to many.  Good luck! I am sure that you will succeed.

Edited by Johnaprov

11 minutes ago, Johnaprov said:

I'm afraid I have to disagree with the statement that the game's popularity affects earnings. The Internet is saturated with gaming content. People play games, watch streams, and have access to any information. Viewers have long been interested in a charismatic presentation, not interesting gameplay.

There's an algorithm that factors a few critical things:

-The person who posts the video (# of subs/popularity of the poster)

-the game tag

-the title

-the popularity of the video

Posting a video on YT and tagging it as a Steel Beasts video won't get you much - but - tag the game with DCS or even World of Tanks and I'm sure you'd slightly influence that algorithm to get your video to appear on someone's feed. 

36 minutes ago, Johnaprov said:

Viewers have long been interested in a charismatic presentation, not interesting gameplay.

I'd argue that users are interested in both. 

Anyway, I've gotten more traffic for literally anything non-Steel Beasts that I post on my channel than Steel Beasts related content. And my primary video focus on YT is Steel Beasts. 

• Members

Steel Beasts is a training application, after all. While it's a reasonably safe bet that people frequenting this forum prefer realism over entertainment, most people interested in computer games aren't wired like this. And there's nothing wrong with that. But it does limit the potential of people who might be watching a Steel Beasts video.

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Steel Beasts is a training application, after all. While it's a reasonably safe bet that people frequenting this forum prefer realism over entertainment, most people interested in computer games aren't wired like this. And there's nothing wrong with that. But it does limit the potential of people who might be watching a Steel Beasts video.

Ironically my Steel Beasts video with the most views by far is talking about pricing, how to download and install, and the in-game menu.

16,000 people watched that. 

I then make a video of a battle and I get about 1,000 views. 

YT is weird. 

• Members
6 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

People would rather watch a video on how to do something rather than read up on how to do something.

Well, judging from one year of tutorial video production ...

- Creating a concise and accurate tutorial is (really) hard work

- We manage to create about two per month

- It's a full-time job for Valleyboy, who gets paid more per year than we make in PE sales

- Most of the time is spent researching the topic, writing the script, and checking it for errors

- There's always the danger that a video will become obsolete with a change in the software

- people are four times more likely to watch superficial videos about a new tank than important but unexciting topics

I would posit that it's not so much the question whether people are willing to read - but the topic itself. Whether you write a chapter in the user's manual or you make a really good video about, say, the command line options or how pathfinding works in Steel Beasts, it is evident that the important stuff gets skipped by many as long as it doesn't promise entertainment value. People read, or watch the important things only if they have to. It's part of human nature, I guess.

Fortunately our Youtube channel doesn't depend on high viewer numbers. We'll keep building up a library of useful reference videos rather than chase high view numbers. The goal isn't popularity, but a useful go-to place if you need how-to instructions.

• 5 months later...

Hey. Came across this and just wanted to share my 2 cents. Streaming on Twitch and making money from fan donations is becoming more common these days, but it's not easy to get into. I haven't personally formed a group for this, but I know it's possible if you're dedicated enough. As for military training, that's a whole different ball game. It might not be the brightest idea, and it's definitely not for everyone. But if you're into that kind of thing and have the skills, it could be a potential money maker. And speaking of making money, have you checked out some of the best money making apps out there? I found this list on Joywallet that might be worth checking out https://joywallet.com/article/best-money-making-apps/. How do you actually make money nowadays?

Edited by RomeoLawrence