Steel Beasts Pro Pe 4.1 Rank Structure, Medals, Awards!

Timex2

9 minutes ago, Timex2 said:

HI all, Im new to Steel Beasts Pro Pe 4.1. My question is, is there a rant structure in SB and do you get rewards or medals. 

Thanks,

Timex2

Well, the reward you get is some entertainment.

There is not rank/medal or experience system what so ever in Steelbeasts...just pure "tankering"

• Members

1) No.

2) You don't.

I understand why some people might want them or expect them, but Steel Beasts isn't that kind of game.

OK... here's the thing. I think that Steam's mechanism of "achievements" might have some merit in motivating people to explore a story-driven game more. But when there's achievements purely in the quantitative domain, it's a mechanism to reward grind, and Steel Beasts never was about grinding nor will it ever be as long as I have a hand in game design. I f'in' hate "grind". There's nothing positive about it. So the way how Steam achievements are used in practice is, unfortunately, a step in the wrong direction.

If we're looking at the godfather of all tank simulations, "M1 Tank Platoon", I think they were after the right thing in that you had a mechanism to "level" your crew by assigning promotions and medals to them. But for one, once that you get to make an international tank simulation you'd have to reflect all the different nations' rank and medal systems. Some nations have much fewer medals than others, different ranks. Making all that compatible is like hammering the round peg into the square hole. What's worse, it inverts causality. Promotions and medals make crew members more competent in M1 Tank Platoon, rather than reward them for competence.

We looked at all these aspects and decided that it wouldn't be worth the trouble. Rather, we created the Tank Range to directly reward the player with more competent crews if he performed better on the range (IOW, if you invest time to train yourself, it directly rewards you with more competent crews). The current implementation was never intended to be the end point of it all, rather, we got side tracked in the last 20 years. I'm all for creating more tests for the user than static gunnery to measure the player's competence in multiple dimensions, and then to adjust AI competence along similar lines.

40 minutes ago, Timex2 said:

HI all, Im new to Steel Beasts Pro Pe 4.1. My question is, is there a rant structure in SB and do you get rewards or medals. 

Thanks,

Timex2

1. There is no inherent rank structure within Steel Beasts. I also don't know of any Virtual Units that use this. Kanium doesn't. 

2. "Medals" are just for fun. They are awarded sometimes by Virtual Units for participating in certain scenarios, such as the ones that I have in my signature block. They don't mean anything other than "I showed up."