• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Rhyfel said:

Any other thoughts on this topic? 

Not really.

When I get home / have extended access to my machine (post deployment) - I'll send you the example scenario.

But as Rotar has already said it should work if the crossing point is suitable.

Suggest you select the crossing point and try to launch the bridge manually.

If you span the gap, then you should be able to script it.

Edited by Gibsonm

• 4 weeks later...

I've noticed in 4.250 that if you are trying to cross a river that is "too wide" (even though if a human is crewing the vehicle it can achieve the crossing) that the breach route does not actually cross the water but goes around it.

Refer Waypoints 6 and 7 in the attached.

Anyway in terms of the scripting, I've done it using an AT ditch.

The good news is the Biber lays the bridge.

The bad news is nothing uses the bridge. :(

Even though it works here:

Off to the Support page with my first bug for 4.250.

Scripted Bridging 4_250.sce 1526840718_ScriptedBridging4_250_20156_012421MARKS-PC-2011719.aar

• Members

You have to enable the off-road navmesh usage in your routes. If everybody disables them for reasons that escape me, it's no wonder that you're not seeing the improvements made there. You may want to reconsider your preferences with respect to route plotting. By default, nav mesh usage should be "on"; holding Shift while plotting would keep using the road network as you're already doing it, and holding the Alt key would disable the navmesh usage for route plotting.

Most seem to have that inverted, as a result from version 3.0 navmesh inadequacies.

30 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

You have to enable the off-road navmesh usage in your routes. If everybody disables them for reasons that escape me, it's no wonder that you're not seeing the improvements made there. You may want to reconsider your preferences with respect to route plotting. By default, nav mesh usage should be "on"; holding Shift while plotting would keep using the road network as you're already doing it, and holding the Alt key would disable the navmesh usage for route plotting.

Most seem to have that inverted, as a result from version 3.0 navmesh inadequacies.

Does this mean this sentence is now incorrect:

"When a scenario without an embedded navmesh is loaded , the navmesh will be generated automatically as part of the loading process" Page 67.

I've just re-read pages 67 - 68 and I see no mention of a way to change the default in the Mission Editor to have Navmesh on - only the part about pressing ALT if you want it activated per individual route:

79524593_AltforNavmesh.thumb.png.44b0a4a9b4b855701866f257c0da0f73.png

If you have to remember to press ALT every time, I'm not surprised its not used too often.

Edited by Gibsonm

Right so I held down the ALT key ....

1. ALT + Breach route = The AVLB in the North now lays its bridge (the route no longer goes around the river).

2. ALT + Breach route = The South lays its bridge (no change). 1 x LeoScripted Bridging 4_250 - Nav Mesh.sce crosses the bridge. 3 x Leo wander off.

SS_22_19_56.thumb.jpg.38483a9574989a70c784e54dbda83022.jpg

1993236449_ScriptedBridging4_250-NavMesh_20180_012421MARKS-PC-2012216.aar

Happy to have Navmesh routes on all the time if that's the best option (the jury seemed out for a while) but ...

1. I'd like to know how to have them "on" by default, not have to press "ALT" every time. I couldn't find it in the Manual, nor in the Options menu.

2. We seem to now have a plethora of options Navmesh on / off per route plus some four options for Route path finding?! By my maths that 8 possible combinations before you worry about tactics, formations, speed, spacing ...

Edited by Gibsonm

6 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

1 x LeoScripted Bridging 4_250 - Nav Mesh.sce crosses the bridge. 3 x Leo wander off.

This particular part of your problem, I'm pretty sure, can be fixed by moving Waypoint 2 away from the obstacle and/or changing the tanks' route from it to COLUMN rather than WEDGE.

As it is, the lead tank is sending a "Wedge" formation order to its wingmen before they even reach the bridge.

• Members
8 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Happy to have Navmesh routes on all the time if that's the best option (the jury seemed out for a while)

I thought we had that made a configurable option but apparently not so (this is now bug 9492). I agree, you shouldn't have to hold down Alt all the time.

2 hours ago, Splash said:

This particular part of your problem, I'm pretty sure, can be fixed by moving Waypoint 2 away from the obstacle and/or changing the tanks' route from it to COLUMN rather than WEDGE.

As it is, the lead tank is sending a "Wedge" formation order to its wingmen before they even reach the bridge.

They should be in column for the last two waypoints prior to the crossing, to avoid that but I'll re-check, again.

Perhaps holding down "ALT" messes with that too.

The issue still remains that simple demo scenario that used to be 15 mins work has now consumed almost a day. :( :(

13 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

I thought we had that made a configurable option but apparently not so. I agree, you shouldn't have to hold down Alt all the time.

Can we also put something in the manual along the lines of:

"Always press the ALT key when creating a Breach route" which I gather is the outcome?

or perhaps integrate it into the software so selecting a Breach route (or any other route that needs it - its still not black and white clear to me) is automatically created as if the ALT key was pressed?

Yeah, this is getting pretty confusing. But in testing your scenario and one I made myself, it was my experience that the key to getting a Breach route to work is to have it set for "No auto-pathfinding".
Seems counter to what Ssnake was saying.

9 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Note that (only) navmesh-enabled routes will dynamically update where passages through obstacles are being created; whether that's knocking down a wall segment, or creating a mine breach lane, or bridging an obstacle.

Perhaps that is true of follow-on routes other than breach routes?  But for the initial breach, a Navmesh-enabled route seems to make the vehicle want to avoid the obstacle rather than breach it.

How you go about getting "no auto-pathfinding" on the route gets confusing regarding whether one has the "Hold Alt key to plot Navmesh routes" option ticked or not.

• Members

Breach routes are best made without pathfinding because that's the point of them - connecting navigable areas with a passage through or over an obstacle that is otherwise forcing a detour (because that's the point of obstacles).

Once that the breach is complete - whether that's an assault bridge or a lane through a minefield - using routes with navmesh support will recognize the new passage, and take advantage of it (if it shortens their travel route).

23 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Breach routes are best made without pathfinding because that's the point of them - connecting navigable areas with a passage through or over an obstacle that is otherwise forcing a detour (because that's the point of obstacles).

Once that the breach is complete - whether that's an assault bridge or a lane through a minefield - using routes with navmesh support will recognize the new passage, and take advantage of it (if it shortens their travel route).

Hang on - so you are now saying I need two routes for the one breach?

One with Navmesh on to follow the breach and one with it off.

I'm now required to create two superimposed routes between the same waypoints with some sort of "embark if its the AVLB" and the other with "embark if its not the AVLB"?

Edited by Gibsonm