Jump to content

Script Bridging


Recommended Posts

Now I did notice that if you plot a direct route from the bridge layer across the river using Navmesh rather than a discreet route then it also seeks to avoid the river. A case could be made (as an extended feature or an enhancement) that a bridge layer given a direct breach route which crosses a river might have a special rule. This would require a fair amount of thought though:-

  1. Does the bridge layer have a bridge on board
  2. is the bridge long enough to cross the water body
  3. is there only one feature to cross.

Currently it is using the "one size fits all" system.

 

A discreet route of course could not know this as you could be sending anything into it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

So, navmesh supported route plotting can only take into account the state of the world prior to mission start.

 

Well maybe use a different approach - I'm just the customer, not the coder. :)

 

How about if waypoint 2 is on the near bank and the start of the breach and waypoint 3 is on the far bank, then use a non navmesh route if a vehicle type = AVLB has reached waypoint 3 (i.e. the bridge has been laid).

 

And something similar for a minefield?

 

All I know is that the product is going away from being the "low overhead" constructive sim that its has been for some time.

 

"low overhead" isn't just required IT resources, its complexity, training time, map management, ....

 

The User's Manual is more of a Technical Manual (hence the recent idea to create a YouTube based User's Manual) and a lot of "stuff" seems to be in the collective conciousness of the designers, not (or at least not clearly documented from a User's perspective) documented.

 

Edited by Gibsonm
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

How about if waypoint 2 is on the near bank and the start of the breach and waypoint 3 is on the far bank, then use a non navmesh route if a vehicle type = AVLB has reached waypoint 3 (i.e. the bridge has been laid).

Since the route is being calculated whenever you use the mouse pointer, the solution is rather than pouring countless engineer hours in development to simply hold the Alt key when you want a straight line across a river. This isn't so hard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Since the route is being calculated whenever you use the mouse pointer, the solution is rather than pouring countless engineer hours in development to simply hold the Alt key when you want a straight line across a river. This isn't so hard.

 

Except its not that "simple" as the last few pages attest.

 

Have you turned the option "on" or "off"?

Have you held the ALT key or not?

Is it the first / breaching vehicle or a follow up vehicle?

 

Even if that check list made it somewhere into pages 67 - 68 (or maybe into the Routes and Waypoints area) that would be a huge (IMHO) improvement over what we currently have.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the thread is about AI scripting of breaches, I have a related question:

 

Why don't AI report (and mark on map) encountered obstacles like tank ditches and abatis? Like they do for minefields.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Splash said:

Since the thread is about AI scripting of breaches, I have a related question:

 

Why don't AI report (and mark on map) encountered obstacles like tank ditches and abatis? Like they do for minefields.

 

 

I haven't tried yet myself (something else kept me busy for the last 2 days :) ) but have you tried using a scout command?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. An AI Humvee with scout tactics will see and mark a minefield with no human intervention. It will also report dragons teeth and steel beams. But not an abatis or the new tank ditch.  Just wondering why. Maybe should be reported as a bug ... but maybe a feature.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...