[Website Recommendation] 4.1 Scenarios and Downloads Section

Apocalypse 31

Issue:

1. 4.1 Changed how scenarios handle embedded custom maps.

2. When searching thru the downloads section for scenarios, many of the posted scenarios are unable to be played due to the designer using a custom map.

3. Players cannot filter searches by game version (this is a requirement to upload something - so why not a filter-able search?)

Recommendation:

1. Modify the Scenarios Download section.

2. Approach this in a similar fashion to SB Gold- Create a pre-4.1 (Legacy Scenarios) section for scenarios that are no longer supported -

3. The other solution (less recommended) is allow players to filter their search results by version #.

On 1/14/2021 at 11:25 PM, Sean said:

I'll work on getting them organized.  It does not let you search by the pro pe version yet.

Thanks for the change-

More recommendations:

1. Fragmentation: Merge the categories of 'easy' and 'difficult' and title it 'Single/COOP' and 'Head to Head'. These categories fragment the scenario searching and make it harder to find what you're looking for. #2....

2. Classification: "Easy" vs "Difficult" - There is no standardization for what is considered an 'easy' or 'difficult' scenario. That idea is totally abstract, based on what the scenario designer thinks, and seeing many of the current scenarios - I can confirm that, that idea is MUCH different by player. OR #3....

3. I'd rather see scenarios classified by SIZE:  - "Platoon" / "Company" / "Battalion" / "Brigade". Or "Small", "Large", "Massive". That is REALLY what I think players are looking for when they search. 

Edited by Apocalypse 31

• Members

Maybe we should let users vote on tactical level / complexity / difficulty. Not every scenario may be categorized for this and the original authors may no longer be around, so I guess the next best thing is to give people who know the scenario (because they tried it out) some input as to where they see it.

I also agree scenario size is a more useful filter than complexity.

The other main thing I look for in choosing mission downloads is the featured vehicles. I like that some makers include tags with that information, or it can be deduced from the description or screenshots (if any). But many force you to download and open before you find out it features vehicle(s) you aren't interested in or don't care to learn.

Yeah, the mission editor allows changing vehicles, but only if the file is not password-protected ... and then you run the risk of ruining playability. Grouping missions by vehicle set is an option, but too complicated probably ... but I would really like to see a requirement or searchable fields in the upload process that includes that info.

And I like Ssnake's thought about user votes on complexity ... maybe encourage players to include that assessment in their star rating.

Edited by Splash
Added thought.

23 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Maybe we should let users vote on tactical level / complexity / difficulty. Not every scenario may be categorized for this and the original authors may no longer be around, so I guess the next best thing is to give people who know the scenario (because they tried it out) some input as to where they see it.

I think it is an interesting approach-

But what happens when 10 people download it and 5 say it is easy, because they have been playing SB for years, and 5 say it is complex (because they just bought the game a few weeks ago)?

What would the 11th downloader think?

5 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

But what happens when 10 people download it and 5 say it is easy, because they have been playing SB for years, and 5 say it is complex (because they just bought the game a few weeks ago)?

As you and others noted, difficulty is totally subjective/abstract. I would view a complexity rating by a user with the same eye as a product review on the interwebs. Something to aid in my decision whether to try it out ... and maybe as a field to narrow my search. 

I do think a "why" comment with any complexity/difficulty rating should be required.

Just now, Splash said:

As you and others noted, difficulty is totally subjective/abstract. I would view a complexity rating by a user with the same eye as a product review on the interwebs. Something to aid in my decision whether to try it out ... and maybe as a field to narrow my search. 

I do think a "why" comment with any complexity/difficulty rating should be required.

I think its a good idea.

But hardly anyone now leaves ANY feedback. Would this make them less inclined to leave feedback?

• Administrators

I removed all the categories from the single player missions.  It's ultimately up to the scenario developer to explain what their scenario is about and to give downloaders some idea of what they are getting.  Forcing the submitter to fill out extra fields and doing categorizing by mission size was tried in the past and it did not work out.

I think the best bet at this point is to use the tag system along with the description to let folks know what they are getting.  I added tag suggestions to the single player category for single_tank, platoon, company, battalion, and brigade.

Lack of reviews is a at least 20 year old problem.  No ideas on how to solve that.  Everyone seems to want to read the reviews, but only a select few take the time to write them.

The big issue across all niche game sites is that few want to criticize scenario makers.  You hate to criticize someone's hard work.  You also expose yourself to pushback that you aren't grateful for the effort it took to build scenarios.  Its easier to just not say anything. 

39 minutes ago, Sean said:

I removed all the categories from the single player missions.  It's ultimately up to the scenario developer to explain what their scenario is about and to give downloaders some idea of what they are getting.  Forcing the submitter to fill out extra fields and doing categorizing by mission size was tried in the past and it did not work out.

I think the best bet at this point is to use the tag system along with the description to let folks know what they are getting.  I added tag suggestions to the single player category for single_tank, platoon, company, battalion, and brigade.

Lack of reviews is a at least 20 year old problem.  No ideas on how to solve that.  Everyone seems to want to read the reviews, but only a select few take the time to write them.

Perfect, thanks!