Campaign / missions?

Nats

Hi I like the look of this sim, but wondering how much of a game is in the sim? I presume there is no campaign to play through? But can you create your own missions by adding AI tanks and do they act intelligently after that or do they just follow set waypoints? Are there precreated missions or scenarios to play?

Hi there and velcome

Its a sim not a game pr see , there are a lot of already made scenarios maps etc... from other players and the ai act semi intelligently aka it does stupid stuff once in a while but compared to bots in arma fx it way better then those but the ai needs to be told where to go but act auto... if shot at etc...

You can use it for a lot of things as it has a multitude of stuff that it can be use for like a shooting trainer, coordination trainer between crews, and then there are the best part the tactical and all of those can be done either as a single or multiplayer but this really shines in multi player but everything can be played both as a single player and multi

It has a map editor so you import and mod maps (both a bit of complicated process) and then you have the scenario designer which is where you make the scenarios.

There are a few Multi player groups or VUs (Virtual Units that play regularly and they all have different styles. 

BGanzac plays historically or educationally scen every thursday

TGIF plays PVP very late friday or early saturday

Kanium play every sunday 2000 cet either with AI or Opfor oppenent

Then there are some small adhoc game groups, There is the adhoc thread on SB forum, Tank sim, 1st canadian armd div , some russians and prolly more i dont know

MD

Edited by Major duck

10 hours ago, Nats said:

Hi I like the look of this sim, but wondering how much of a game is in the sim? I presume there is no campaign to play through? But can you create your own missions by adding AI tanks and do they act intelligently after that or do they just follow set waypoints? Are there precreated missions or scenarios to play?

The included campaign is set on the Sinai, though it isn't going to be using modern armored vehicles (Sho't Kals and AMX-13s). 

The AI during created scenarios do have to be scripted with waypoints, events, etc. This isn't like Arma 3 where you can just load up a "Dynamic Recon" scenario and play a full procedurally generated mission. With that being said, the mission editor is VERY powerful, and you can make some very impressive missions with lots of replayability. See stuff by @Apocalypse 31@Panzer_Leader, and @ben

There are dozens of scenarios included with the base game that you don't have to download from the forums. I particularly like the Platoon Recon scenario, and honestly I think it is a great beginner scenario to start with. 

I'm currently making a Steel Beasts Beginner's Guide mini-series on YT, so I'll show some of this stuff in the second video when I release it later this week. 

Edit: corrected to "Sinai" and not "Golan Heights."

Edited by Mirzayev

• Members

Steel Beasts PRO is first and foremost designed for training and educational  purposes. Where entertsinment doesn't stand in the way, we put it in - within the limits of our budget, manpower, and contractual obligations.

SB Pro PE comes with the aforementioned "Golan Heights" (linear) operation. We hoped to add a second one, but the project stalled a while ago unfortunately. Then there's about 60 single player missions, many designed for multiple playthroughs, and what you can download here.

It's certainly slower paced and more cerebral and oriented towards technical and tactical accuracy than popular tank games (didn't expect to write that phrase in my lifetime, LOL), but I think it still qualifies as a good game, if you have the time to spare learning it.

5 hours ago, Nats said:

you may tend to get replies in this community that steel beasts is intended as a simulation of the subject matter, which can be used as entertainment value- as such, it can function like a game. for what it's worth, you can look at anything which has competing interests as a game: real life is a game in that sense, but with real consequences for playing, that is, real consequences for winning and losing. sure. this is the crux of game theory (a classic study is the prisoner's dilemma, which doesn't imply any entertainment running the game at all- though i suppose there are some type of people who enjoy that sort of thing). a simulation can be a game, or not- evidently there are some personal computer building simulators, other simulators where players clean the rust of off tank parts and putting them together to form a tank or whatnot, while technically a game, without adverse factors hindering the player, they're probably not really much of a game even if they are enjoyed in someone's leisure time as if they were games- like simulated golf or simulated volleyball, i tend to think those are boring games. you might have a dry physics demonstrator depicting vehicle suspension over various terrain types, but not much to hinder a participant running the simulator, no adverse opponents and so on. so i take a game to mean something that opposes your efforts so that it is not simply pushing buttons and operating the simulated equipment: can you play steel beasts as if it were a game? absolutely. it generally doesn't ship with much other than tutorials and some pre-made scenarios, but besides those it includes a powerful sandbox editor which allows the player to create and edit maps, and create and share scenarios with this community. i prefer this approach more than the dynamic campaigns approach as much more detailed and more fun; if you like boom-boom and pshew-pshew-pshew, you can set up a scenario to do all that with randomized behaviors to play somewhat differently every time the scenario is run; if you like more of the planning and management side, there is certainly that as well. the weapons and explosion effects are well done at this point in the product lifespan so that you will get satisfaction there, which appeals to the primal, mammalian hunter brain, evolved to throw spears and shoot arrows; it done scratches that itch.

• 11 months later...