Tank reloading

RedWardancer

Has anyone found a video on how a loader transfers main gun rounds from one storage to "ready" storage?  Let's use the M1A2 as the example.  It has 11 rounds of APDFS and 7 rounds of HEAT in the ready bin.  The other 17 AP and 10 HEAT are stored elsewhere.  Just for the heck of it, someone tell me where the other rounds are at and how are they transferred?  Unless there is a video...

On the M1, the door for the majority of the stored ammo is behind the commander under a curtain, 6 more are stored in the hull in two 3 round magazines next to each other. As far as I understand it, the commander cranks the stored ammo door open sideways (which blocks the ready ammo door,) pulls a round out and hands it to the loader, shuts the door, and then finally the loader opens the ready ammo door and stores the round. For the hull ammo you put the turret to the left so the loader can access the hull ammo magazines.

For the Leopards all the stored ammo is in the hull to the left of the driver. The turret is turned to the left so the loader can reach the rounds.

I'm not sure where the ammo is "stored" in the Challenger 2, as even the ready ammo (which is two part, with propellant and projectile being separate) is seemingly randomly scattered about the turret and hull (I think someone must have spiked the tea when that thing was being designed.)

Edited by Rotareneg

• Members

In the Leopard 2, the turret is rotated to the five o'clock position. That way the turret ammo bustle is right above the hull stowage next to the driver. The loader simply moves the curved safety railing to the side, then pulls out a round from the hull stowage and lifts it into the turret bustle, rinse & repeat. There really isn't more to it.

14 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

On the M1, the door for the majority of the stored ammo is behind the commander under a curtain, 6 more are stored in the hull in two 3 round magazines next to each other. As far as I understand it, the commander cranks the stored ammo door open sideways (which blocks the ready ammo door,) pulls a round out and hands it to the loader, shuts the door, and then finally the loader opens the ready ammo door and stores the round. For the hull ammo you put the turret to the left so the loader can access the hull ammo magazines.

For the Leopards all the stored ammo is in the hull to the left of the driver. The turret is turned to the left so the loader can reach the rounds.

I'm not sure where the ammo is "stored" in the Challenger 2, as even the ready ammo (which is two part, with propellant and projectile being separate) is seemingly randomly scattered about the turret and hull (I think someone must have spiked the tea when that thing was being designed.)

on the challenger 2, the propellant is stored below the turret ring, and scattered across the hull in protective water bins, while the APFSDS projectiles are stored above ring.