Steel Beasts Beginner's Guide - Discussion Thread

Ssnake

• Members

It puts the unit location and identification (yeah, it's all lumped into one thing ... I know...) into your party's "hive mind", assuming that you have a working radio. Otherwise just Steel Beasts knows that you know where a unit is (still counts as far as "known enemy in region X" is concerned, or "unit X spotted enemy AFVs in Region Y > n".

Which might play a role in the user/mission score of a scouting-oriented scenario where you might be tasked to reconnoiter enemy presence in a number of places, to identify which kind of enemy that might be, and in what strength.

• Members
Just now, Gibsonm said:

From memory, this option is only available at the lower end of the realism / difficulty settings (off hand I don't recall which).

The function is available in ALL realism settings. Whether you will get to see a result depends on whether map updates have been activated or not.

If you don't lase a unit but a spot in the terrain, a red star would appear in the map view in low and medium realism levels.

Just now, Ssnake said:

The function is available in ALL realism settings. Whether you will get to see a result depends on whether map updates have been activated or not.

If you don't lase a unit but a spot in the terrain, a red star would appear in the map view in low and medium realism levels.

Ah thanks. :)

People always complain about "how stupid the AI is" when it is usually user error. I put in the "hold shift and right click" segment specifically to address the frustration that some users feel by not having the AI identify a target that they can physically see. I use it all the time, and it works quite well. Your wingmen are pretty effective if they have a general idea of where the enemy is located. 

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Good ideas.

This may actually be less of a topic for eSim Games specifically - not that I'm looking for an easy cop-out - since 30% of it seem to deal with established customs and practices of the community.

Maybe you disagree, but I see our role more in "how-to" and "why" type of videos dealing with the simulation as a tool, less in "what to do with it".

I guess, it's my long-winded approach to hint as politely and respectfully at that I wouldn't mind at all if someone would preempt us.

17 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Good ideas.

This may actually be less of a topic for eSim Games specifically - not that I'm looking for an easy cop-out - since 30% of it seem to deal with established customs and practices of the community.

Maybe you disagree, but I see our role more in "how-to" and "why" type of videos dealing with the simulation as a tool, less in "what to do with it".

I guess, it's my long-winded approach to hint as politely and respectfully at that I wouldn't mind at all if someone would preempt us.

Not to make a discussion of this  as this is not the place .... maybe delete it later (this) But yes this could be a Kanium or other group multiplayer  thread for beginners and those who never knew or bothered to learn.
This is a great sim but where it is at it's best and really meant for is multiplayer. As once a noob (no comment needed to be added here ) multiplayer can be intimidating at the beginning.
I didn't know where to post this btw

7 hours ago, Zaphod said:

Not to make a discussion of this  as this is not the place .... maybe delete it later (this) But yes this could be a Kanium or other group multiplayer  thread for beginners and those who never knew or bothered to learn.
This is a great sim but where it is at it's best and really meant for is multiplayer. As once a noob (no comment needed to be added here ) multiplayer can be intimidating at the beginning.
I didn't know where to post this btw

Why don't you make it?

• 4 weeks later...

Good video.  

On an older version (can't remember which) tanks towing tanks would have to get closer than ARVs but now have they have to be practically rubbing ends together.  If it were done this way in real life there would be no room for anyone to get in between the tanks to attach the cables up.  I would think half of the towing distance would be an acceptable distance to hook up cables.

45 minutes ago, TSe419E said:

Good video.  

On an older version (can't remember which) tanks towing tanks would have to get closer than ARVs but now have they have to be practically rubbing ends together.  If it were done this way in real life there would be no room for anyone to get in between the tanks to attach the cables up.  I would think half of the towing distance would be an acceptable distance to hook up cables.

I think its to reflect the say 3m cable (usually attached at an angle - on the left side of tow er and right side of towee and reversed for the other vehicle's cable) or the use of an A Frame. As opposed to the 80 - 100m of cable from a Wisent, M88, etc.

This sort of thing:

Header-Picture-900x442.jpg.88268e3a4152185ad3256f2d28d1393e.jpg

and (disregarding the time frame):

05xz5this0a51.jpg.71c815ce64414e0454d9bf05f8a114bc.jpg

I'm pretty comfortable with the distances as currently modelled, but that's just one opinion.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

The problem is that the code measures distances from the center of the vehicle, not their edges, so it's harder to judge which distance is acceptable for hook-up. With sufficient tweaking I suppose it could be made visually more convincing, but what we really need is an improved way to calculate those distances from edge to edge, not center to center.

• 3 weeks later...

SB Pro Tutorial on the Generic RWS.

Two points if I may.

1. The ASLAV-PC does not have the Generic RWS as an option:

SS_09_05_23.thumb.jpg.30c79c1482f584a7602b2453756602e8.jpg

2. Whilst the RWSs are modelled they are in the wrong spot.

The current location prevents the Crew Commander from standing up (i.e. Q twice) refer attached example:

210910 ASLAV PC RWS.sce

As opposed to the real life location on the vehicle (note the Commander's hatch is open and their head is up):

The Australian light armoured vehicle of the Al Muthanna Task Group.

• Members

The video's thumbnail says "4.1"; since 4.2 (your screenshot) the Generic Weapon Station is actually no longer with us. It was the first video that was made in the new tutorial series, last November, and was overtaken by events. Nevertheless, for people running earlier versions of SB Pro it might still be useful so we decided not to throw it away. 

16 hours ago, Ssnake said:

The video's thumbnail says "4.1"; since 4.2 (your screenshot) the Generic Weapon Station is actually no longer with us. It was the first video that was made in the new tutorial series, last November, and was overtaken by events. Nevertheless, for people running earlier versions of SB Pro it might still be useful so we decided not to throw it away. 

Ah I made an ASSumption with the predictable outcome. Sorry.

However the location on the model still remains an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

So on nevest video about "Fun with Command promp" https://youtu.be/37RrEgFqqRo 

My steelbeast is installed on C drive  and adresses on icon settings are same. I cannot figure what I am doing wrong.  

image.png.35904ddf245300c73d7a3c4f0256fb53.png

However, when I do it trough icon, it works.

But how do I get this to work from command prompt?  What am I doing wrong?   

Edited by Lumituisku

2 hours ago, Lumituisku said:

So on nevest video about "Fun with Command promp" https://youtu.be/37RrEgFqqRo 

My steelbeast is installed on C drive  and adresses on icon settings are same. I cannot figure what I am doing wrong.  

image.png.35904ddf245300c73d7a3c4f0256fb53.png

However, when I do it trough icon, it works.

But how do I get this to work from command prompt?  What am I doing wrong?   

C:\Program Files ... is not in the same sub directory as C:\users\lumi

It can change to that directory because you have fully specified the path.

You need to type "cd c:\Program Files ...." (i.e. insert the c:\ in to the line in the DOS prompt screenshot) so it knows where to look.

Edited by Gibsonm