SB Pro PE 4.250 Posted

Sean

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I didn't understand regarding the new patch's installation is the new Map package. Do I need to download and install it or is it the same thing as of 4.167?

Edit: To answer my own question:

SB Pro PE 4.250 (Web Installer)Version History and Release Notes This is a full installer for SB Pro PE which requires the uninstallation of prior versions; the Map Packages can remain untouched!

Edited by stormrider_sp

3 minutes ago, BadgerDog said:

I'm a little confused about one thing, but I'm old .. so forgive me... 😁

When I select uninstall, I'm not going to lose all the custom missions, operations and maps I currently under 4.167 ... correct?

I have the same doubt, but just in case, I'm backing up everything.

9 minutes ago, BadgerDog said:

When I select uninstall, I'm not going to lose all the custom missions, operations and maps I currently under 4.167 ... correct?

Simple Answer: No

In depth answer:

All user created content is stored in a seperate location to the Program data

it is in "Your Documents folder"

All proprietary Program data (that Nils & team keep under lock and key*) is stored in the Program Files folder on your Windows OS drive (Normally "C:")

(A: & B: were normally floppy drives)

Further reading:

However if you have anything stored in "Blah Blah Blah/Program files/eSim Games" (That isn't in the SP Pro folder) it will be deleted.

I used to store mods etc in an "SB related" folder in the eSim games

I.E. it looked like this :

eSim Games

Sb Pro

Actors

Release etc

SB Mods

Everything under eSim Games is wiped.

*They are technically the property of eSim Games and you purchase a license/permission to use them

Edited by Hedgehog

If you are uninstalling only  a SB Pro PE and a Map Package Transfer Tools, then your custom content should stay intact, unless it was placed  for some reason to installation folder.

It is strongly advised not to store  your custom content in [Drive Name]:\Program Files\eSim Games\SB Pro PE

6 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Okay, looks like there's at least one thing that slipped through. The Piranha V mortar carrier (AAMS) can be equipped with an ammo type called STRIX. The round DOESN'T WORK. So, don't use it.

It was included in the beta for testing purposes and wasn't supposed to make it into the final release. Apologies, all.

Ha! That was the first one I used 🙂 I figured something was off. Thanks for the update guys, love it!

2 hours ago, BadgerDog said:

You should not, to be safe copy them to a folder elsewhere till you confirm the install is complete....as a rule backup everything you need , just to be safe.:)

safety first, not really...coffee first, then safety")

Edited by 12Alfa

• Administrators

Hi All,

A new bundle installer and pro pe installer have been built and uploaded.  If you downloaded yesterday through today at 15:45 GMT, then uninstall pro pe, delete the old bundle installer, then download the new bundle installer and leave Pro PE 4.250 checked to download and install the new one.

To answer some questions here:

1.  The maps package has not changed, legacy maps have not changed.  If you leave them checked, the bundle installer will look at the version installed and see it, and ignore your request to download and install it.  It should note it in the window.

2.  The codemeter check has been removed, it was in there because a few months ago there were security issues with an old version of codemeter runtime and I wanted to make sure it was patched.  The Pro PE installer has a newer version of runtime so this is not needed.

3.  If you choose to save the downloaded files, it will take HD space, but its also useful if one of the downloads fails during the download process.  If you have to restart the bundle installer because of a failure it will check the files to see if they are good so you do not have to download them all over again.

OK, why?

And what happens if I don't?

Sorry, your post isn't clear on what the changes are.

If it is just the installer bundle

Why do i need to redownload an installer if I already have SB installed?

Hasn't the Installer done it's job by that point?

It just seems like a waste of time, unless there's something else going on?

Again sorry, I just curious as to why I need to reinstall an installer.

39 minutes ago, Hedgehog said:

OK, why?

Sorry, your post isn't clear on what the changes are.

If it is just the installer bundle

Why do i need to redownload an installer if I already have SB installed?

Hasn't the Installer done it's job by that point?

It just seems like a waste of time, unless there's something else going on?

Again sorry, I just curious as to why I need to reinstall an installer.

This I think 

So even if we've already installed, we have to download and install again?  Because of one round inadvertently making it in.  I mean...we have a lot of bugs we grin and bear it on with no thought that any patch will be forthcoming for months and possibly years.  But this one round will require a redownload and reinstall?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding and my righteous indignation is misplaced.

29 minutes ago, CriticalMass said:

This I think

I doubt it.

The new installer wont fix an issue with a model / ammunition type / bug. That would need 4.251 or similar.

The new installer just ensures you get 4.250 (it wont change what's in the code for 4.250).

Edited by Gibsonm

9 minutes ago, thewood said:

So even if we've already installed, we have to download and install again?  Because of one round inadvertently making it in.  I mean...we have a lot of bugs we grin and bear it on with no thought that any patch will be forthcoming for months and possibly years.  But this one round will require a redownload and reinstall?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding and my righteous indignation is misplaced.

No, the patch will probably be out in a month or two. (Long enough to catch 90% of the bugs eSim missed, but didn't fundamentally break the program, things like carrying over default ammo values, and the: "Ok, that's weird, why is the sky purple?!" kind of bugs. )

We're in a kind of unofficial Gamma/Open Beta Testing phase at the moment.

• Members
2 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

OK, why?

It contains at least two bug fixes and, I think, also removes a language-specific error that could occur with some languages. At to what would happen if you don't, we don't know for certain. It might be that "bad stuff" during network sessions happened which may or may not materialize with a warning, early on or late in a game, and/or maybe not every game session.

Of course you can take your chances until the next regular patch comes out.

It it installed just fine for you and if you don't participate in network games, I suppose the urgency is not so high. But there's always the danger that you forget about this snag and then Steel Beasts might behave oddly and it might be hard to track it down. So, please be so kind.

If you except the error of a completely new piece of software this has already simplified the process immensely its made so almost everybody with a screed of knowledge can use it the only little thing i would suggest is a strong emphasis on running the installer with admin rights as all users in windows are not running with admin rights pr default you have to specifically make them do or use the administrator account which is also pr definition wrong.
Also make sure that windows defender and firewall are off beside the antivirus if the first install dossent work as it have shot me down 2 times today

But this program have already saved me 2-3 hours of work today so yes they are straight forward at the very least compared to what we had so thumps up to Nils and the boys thank you very much.

MD

👍

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, ashdivay said:

why are these upgrades never straightforward. Thanks to all for providing "How to info"

Thanks for clearing up your pro-nouns. All these years and I thought you used different ones, whoops. 😱

Well, the upgrade is not straightforward because we tried to make the installer easier (one unified link, to install everything), and look what happened. 

But that is the nature of software development; you try different methods that look fine for the testing base, but then when it gets 'into the wild' it turns out there are other issues.  What matters, I think, is that we try to fix those issues, and don't just go dark. But at least we are using a free update to learn here for next time... 😉

39 minutes ago, Volcano said:

Thanks for clearing up your pro-nouns. All these years and I thought you used different ones, whoops. 😱

Well, the upgrade is not straightforward because we tried to make the installer easier (one unified link, to install everything), and look what happened. 

But that is the nature of software development; you try different methods that look fine for the testing base, but then when it gets 'into the wild' it turns out there are other issues.  What matters, I think, is that we try to fix those issues, and don't just go dark. But at least we are using a free update to learn here for next time... 😉

I know; that's why I wanted to clarify my pro-nouns just for your benefit. 

As for my previous comment of the upgrades not being straightforward, this is my fault I did not take the time to read anything and assumed that this upgrade would continue the past trend of being overly complicated. I admit (after reading a few notes) I was wrong. 

Truly credit is due for you and your team for your hard work, after all these years its finally simple to use.

Thank you