Photo sjop Question

-=2RTR=-SOMNUS

Hey lads...

Just wondering if any of you knew how to convert say the 512 to 1024 textures... I know obviously about the image size-ing thing... But I was wondering if there was a way to turn the image quality up to 1024 or do I have to start from scratch (there should be a question mark but my keyboards acting up)...

Cheers lads!!!

I'm only running CS2... I've been trying to find ways to enlarge and keep clarity... But I might have to just start from scratch when I get bluetooth for my tablet again... I'm working on a nice Iraqi/Afghanistan map on the side... Nice built up areas mixed with open and oasis type terrain... It just takes so long... But nonetheless... Well cheers lads...

• Members

I'm mentioning this only because Hollywood (and especially the CSI series) suggest that you can somehow "sharpen" blurred digital images with sufficient computer wizardry. Let me state here once and for all that it is mathematically impossible to reconstruct a higher resolution of a single image other than by inventing information (which Take this, CSI! hardly meets the requirements for forensic evidence). So, all filter algorithms aside - they may make the image look better, but they cannot reach the same quality as a texture created from scratch that uses a high resolution right from the start. It may however be that Deja works with higher resolution textures internally before rendering them into a 512 resolution texture to meet our harsh requirements for texture space conservation.

Interestingly however it is possible to calculate higher resolutions from multiple captures of the same scene that were made with a lower resolution camera. NASA demonstrated this a few years ago with a Mars probe.

It may however be that Deja works with higher resolution textures internally before rendering them into a 512 resolution texture to meet our harsh requirements for texture space conservation.

@Ssanke - a bit off-topic but I wanted to ask why you don't include the higher res textures with the Sim, and let the user later decide wheter they want to use low-rez or high resolution textures in the Sim? Nowadays computers (at least mine ;) ) can be far beyond the needs of SB (fortunately) - so why not have this option available? Skins are already done in high rez as well (if I understood it correctly) - so why not make them public/part of the Sim?

• Members

For training purposes the textures are good enough. Spending additional time to make high resolution skins that don't add to the overall training value would be a waste in this context. High res textures are a game feature, so it's something that we would definitely add for SB2.

Also, keep in mind the intended commonality between SB Pro and SB Pro PE; for SB Pro much larger maps can be defined in the mission editor which can easily require 100, 240, 480, or even 1500 MBytes of texture memory, depending on the map dimensions. In these cases you'd be dangerously close to typical memory limits beyond which graphics cards will need to swap textures (with the associated massive performance breakdown).

It certainly is nothing that couldn't be handeled in principle, but even small changes do require some time for implementation (and then a lot of time for testing) so that we are hesitant to add features which are not directly related to training value.

There's an old trick in PhotoShop to maintain the sharpness when enlarging. Do it in increments smaller than 10% rather than going straight from 512 to 1024. Evidently PhotoShop uses a different sampling logic when making small changes. For example:

1093 then back to

I created an Action script that enlarges the image 110% that I can activate with an F-Key, and just hit it until I'm slightly over the size I need. I then downsize to the exact dimension I'm after.

Downsizing doesn't have the same limitations so you can go in as big a jump as you want going that direction.

Ah... The incremental solution will be tried... Thanks for the idea... hopefully it'll work a little bit... but I'm more then likely gonna have to dust the tablet off and get to it...

Hey Ssnake long time... looks like you guys are cleaning house... As you should this "training aid" is awesome... Had some of the lads at reg. using it... Just like the old TGT... Now for CR2!!!

Kisses to all!