Manual Traverse Poll - User Interest In Control Scheme Change

Mirzayev

Manual Traverse Poll - User Interest In Change  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Should the current method of using manual traverse by pressing the arrow keys multiple times be changed to using the mouse?

• Yes
    • No

As the title states, and as a continuation from this thread. 

"Yes" indicates that you would like the see the control scheme change to controlling a turret in manual mode (or a vehicle with a non-powered turret, such as the Scimitar) using the mouse. 

"No" indicates that you do not want to see a change from the current control scheme, which is tapping the arrow keys to manually traverse. 

If it's a hand on a crank that turns the whole thing, why can't it be a continous motion like some suggested? One that accelerates and deaccelerates slowly, with slow hand adjustments done turning a wheel I can't imagine it being less realistic than, say, button mashing where each tap to the arrow key sends tanker's arm into sudden milimeter long spasm for fraction of a second, done hundred times in a row. You should have seen my grandma work that crank at the well. Compared to SB Scimitar crews she'd turn that little box with a turret into a helicopter.

20 minutes ago, ryan101 said:

Just add a function, click the arrow, and the turret will turn.  Long press the arrow, the handwheel will continue to rotate until the button is released.

I think that tends to convey the idea of a "powered" traverse as opposed to the effort / frustration (as in why is it taking so long) involved in the real thing.

2 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

I'm not in control of what you want to read into my words. 45 votes in total, no matter which direction, aren't a strong mandate.

I could claim to speak for the silent majority 😉

...no seriously: VOTE people

Edited by Grenny

12 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

I'm not in control of what you want to read into my words. 45 votes in total, no matter which direction, aren't a strong mandate.

Oooops, forgot the smiley, it was posted as a wit/jk/funny.....:)

:)

And the #45......now you can read my mind, such as it is.....JK, and a :)

more quantifiable data is needed for sure .

I will be happy with what ever methods comes about for the record,

On 1/24/2021 at 7:46 AM, ben said:

My idea is to add mouse control.. and keep the arrow key control working as it does for those users who prefer it, what do you think?

I'd rather have it as a clickable option. I like the panic aspect of smashing the buttons repeatedly, but sometimes it's just unnecessary.

I'm not going to vote because, well I work here.   

But I can see both sides of this, and wish there was a simple solution.  One idea that crossed my mind was to have the ability to just hold the key down, and have it crank at whatever was considered the best possible speed.   Whatever the top speed was, so at least you didn't have to beat on your keyboard so much.  And then tap the key to fine tune.   

The bottom line though is that this is a core UI element.  Been this way since the beginning.   And those things seem to be a PIA to change or modify.  There is always something in the code that means changing it will cause some other issue.   I don't know that this is the case here, but it so often its worth saying.   So even if Ssnake wants to change it, well.. it may be a can of worms.