4.250 - Fennek OHWS thermal imager noise [SOLVED]

Rotareneg

7 minutes ago, Rotareneg said:

The thermal imager on the Fennek's OHWS is extremely noisy, as if it's not being cooled or otherwise working correctly.

Thats because it is an uncooled TIS.

The quality is basicly as it is IRL.

In short: not a bug, but a "feature"

• Jartsev changed the title to 4.250 - Fennek OHWS thermal imager noise [SOLVED]
5 minutes ago, Rotareneg said:

I originally had typed "unless this is really how it is IRL, in which case, wow..." at the end of my first post but removed it as I assumed they wouldn't have bought their thermal imagers at a Dollar Tree. :D

Well, these are from 15 years ago basicly.

Yeah, they're outdated (still better then having none at all)

We should definitely keep adding stuff in game that is really awful to use in real life! GOOD idea, right!?

Like....make things as PAINFUL as possible for players to use, right!?

I mean, we wouldn't want to be UNREALISTIC would we? THE HORROR!!! Neckbeards of the world would call Steel Beasts UNREALISTIC, and that would be BAD. 

Sarcasm complete.

------------------------------

Really though, would it have been SO bad to make the in-game thermals JUST a little better on the Fennek? The current thermals are so bad, that they're not worth using. You cannot see anything. Do we think anyone would have said 'I'm not plalying the Fennek because its not realistic" versus now....where the Fennek is a lesson in frustration when you play it. Between the manual-hand-crank traverse that is modeled in game, and worthless thermals. I have no reason to ever use this vehicle, and I KNOW a lot of development time went into making this vehicle playaable. 

I really wish the developers would reconsider their ULTRA-realistic approach to building this game. 

This is a game. It's supposed to be fun. 

Real life isn't fun. It's full of monetary constraints that prevent us from having nice thermal imagers.

2 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

We should definitely keep adding stuff in game that is really awful to use in real life! GOOD idea, right!?

I mean, we wouldn't want to be UNREALISTIC would we? THE HORROR!!! Neckbeards of the world would call Steel Beasts UNREALISTIC, and that would be BAD. 

Sarcasm complete.

Really though, would it have been SO bad to make the in-game thermals JUST a little better on the Fennek? The current thermals are so bad, that they're not worth using. You cannot see anything. Do we think anyone would have said 'I'm not plalying the Fennek because its not realistic" versus now....where the Fennek is a lesson in frustration when you play it. Between the manual-hand-crank traverse that is modeled in game, and worthless thermals. I have no reason to ever use this vehicle, and I KNOW a lot of development time went into making this vehicle playaable. 

I really wish the developers would reconsider their ULTRA-realistic approach to building this game. 

Real life isn't fun. It's full of monetary constraints that prevent us from having nice thermal imagers.

Hey, wait 2 years. then there will be better TIS on the FENNEK IRL

15 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

I'm reasonably sure that this was added to Pro for people who are expected to use it in real life to train with, as with most things that we get in Pro PE.

1 hour ago, TankHunter said:

I'm reasonably sure that this was added to Pro for people who are expected to use it in real life to train with, as with most things that we get in Pro PE.

Esigma Systems makes the Fennek trainer

https://www.esigma-systems.com/

image.png.357cb20858c002b259ce59e53dc5d8f3.png

I'm reasonably sure that KMW handles the training & simulation aspects of the vehicle. 

https://www.kmweg.com/systems-products/training-simulation/

Edited by Apocalypse 31

On 1/24/2021 at 4:31 PM, Apocalypse 31 said:

Sarcasm complete.

realism isn't fun for everyone, but then again steel beasts isn't for everyone, it's for a niche. 

if we dumbed down SB, we'd essentially turn SB into war thunder, but uglier, which would more or less give SB zero competitive edge. 

for this reason, the thermal on the fennek is garbage, the T-72 reverse gear is non-existent, and it's IR night sight is a joke. 

IRL, the T-72 IR night sight is even worse, since you have to spend time unscrewing 4 bolts of a plate in front of the IR night sight, since bright lights might actually damage the sensor.