Choppy image, not smooth, while aiming with Leo2A5

Pteradon

I noticed a choppy image ( not going smooth) while aiming with the gunsight of the Leo2A5.

Is this normal behavior within Steel Beast, or is it my pc not working as it should?

Because a picture says more than words, i presume a video says more than a picture.

https://youtu.be/k5eP8uNAyB4

Running V4.250

Edited by Pteradon

• Members

Hard to say. Could be the video capturing writing data to disk (but then again, I presume you wouldn't have reported this when it happens only when you capture it). We delibartely eliminated the micro stutters that happened from AAR writing data to disk, which would otherwise have been my next best guess. Could be some background software activity. Could be your graphics settings and graphics card capabilities.

Would be interesting to know what your framerate is (Alt+F12) in situations like these. Also, your "Details" settings (Alt+D).

I have a framerate around 65 fps. (Single mission: Platoon Recon)

The settings which i use ingame, are the default settings of SB.

Display

Z-buffer Size: 24 Bit

Refresh on Vsync: off

Mode: Full screen

3440x1440x32

Graphics

Post processing effects: 1

Anti aliassing: 4

Non-Maskable Anti Aliassing: 0

Depth of field quality: 1

Shadow mapping: 3

Road rendering detail: 3

Star gamma: 2:00

Minium star size in pixels: 3.53

Enable high detail tracks: on

High detail tracks threshold: 15

Terrain detail distance

General: 50.0

Ground: 50.0

Terrain object detail: 50.0

Forest distance: 50.0

Ground cover: 20.0

Dynamic Cache Size: 50

PC specs

Fresh install W10 Home x64 (up to date)

Mainboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Hero (latest bios 2402)

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700K  @ 5.1 Ghz (watercooled)

Ram: 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M2B3200C16  (32Gb) @ 1600Mhz   16-18-18-36

Hd: M.2 Samsung SSD 960 Pro 1 TB (714GB free space)

GPU: Asus ROG STRIX GTX1080ti 11GB OC @ default speed / Driver version 461.40

I have no complains about Steel Beast and it's running fine on my computer.

But i noticed this choppy movement of the images in the gunsight and was wandering.

I dont have many games anymore on my pc, but it runs MSFS2020 and IL2 BOS without any problems.

Cyberpunk 2077, well that could be better, but my pc handle it without any hicups. But that's a different story.

SB1.jpg

sb2settings.jpg

• Members

Good point. Otherwise I don't see anything sticking out. I suppose you could increase your shadow mapping setting without much framerate loss (but better quality shadows), and I think you can put the dynamic cache slider to 100 since your card has a LOT of VRAM ... but none of that is addressing the issue that you describe.

With the high resolution, I suppose reducing the antialiasing won't hurt much.

Conversely I suppose you could try and reduce the resolution of SB Pro PE and see if that makes a difference in the panning jitter that you observe (I don't think so, but it may be worth a try).

Thanks Ssnake.

I've just tried it out with lowering the resolution and also putting the usb-connector of my stick into another usb-port.

Both didn't solve the jitters in SB.

I noticed that the jitters is not only in the gunsight view, but also in the external view.

I remember something about, that you can give applications a "prio" (not sure if this the correct term) in taskmanager,

so Windows know which application should get the most attention.

I can also try to turn off some of the basic applications running on the background, like anti-virus program ect.

• Members

In rare cases, raising the task priority of applications can help, but I really don't know enough about it to say whether it could help in your case. I suspect that it won't. USUALLY Windows knows best. Also, with enough CPU cores a higher task priority won't really help with a largely single threaded application.