UK Multi-Coloured Camouflage Scheme

Galileo

The Multi-Coloured Camouflage Scheme (MCDCS) project was launched as a result of our troops’ experience in Estonia, lessons gleaned from the Royal Tank Regiment’s ‘Streetfighter’ experiment, and a long-recognised need to hide, deceive, and survive on the modern battlefield. We know from operational analysis that, in combat, tanks are destroyed from surprisingly short range and that the preservation of our battle-winning capabilities is vital to success.  

MCDCS is the product of a joint project involving the Dorset-based ATDU, the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (DSTL), and the Tank Museum. The project was devised to create a camouflage scheme which would decrease detection, both by the human eye and artificial intelligence-enabled targeting tools, with a goal of tricking the enemy and creating an advantage for the camouflaged vehicle.  

more :

https://www.army.mod.uk/news-and-events/news/2021/01/future-armoured-camouflage/?fbclid=IwAR0hCrVkv76A4d5CWu8YW7E1rrk1d3tWJlVMeiwwJhdBEKgsljDdsgMC9JU

apohq-official-20201120-003-120637-2.jpg

• Members
16 hours ago, Galileo said:

"We know from operational analysis that, in combat, tanks are destroyed from surprisingly short range"

Sheesh.

If you're fighting nothing but derka derka insurgents whose idea of sophistication is an RPG-7, of course all of your tanks that do get destroyed are getting destroyed from short distance; they must go in close because they have nothing else to attack you with.

I hope this is just sloppy reporting and the actual analysis goes a bit deeper.

• Members
3 hours ago, ssidiver said:

... I can't see how it would be any better in the bush.

I suppose it just doesn't have to be worse, as long as it offers advantages somewhere else. And it doesn't seem to make such a big difference at range if your blobs of olive, brown and black are rounded or composed of smaller pixel clusters.

• 2 months later...
On 1/29/2021 at 9:30 AM, Ssnake said:

Sheesh.

If you're fighting nothing but derka derka insurgents whose idea of sophistication is an RPG-7, of course all of your tanks that do get destroyed are getting destroyed from short distance; they must go in close because they have nothing else to attack you with.

I hope this is just sloppy reporting and the actual analysis goes a bit deeper.

Turkey would beg to differ.