Question about map quality

Count Sessine

• Members

Depends of course how you define "quality". I think that Hannover-Weserbergland or even more so the new Bergen-Soltau-Fallingbostel maps are "very high quality" in that they offer a lot of detail, variety, and good topographical fidelity (that is, if you look at a real map, you'll find a lot of the features you'd expect in the right locations). But, they are not of the highest possible resolution if that's what you mean.

There is a "Paderborn" map with rather fugly looking houses, but it's based on LIDAR scans, so there you can get an idea of the practical difference between a 10m grid and a 1m grid. I still wouldn't say that it's the prettiest or most interesting map, but it's high-res, if that's what you're after.

I expect to see more high-res maps coming in the next years. I don't expect us to include a vast number of them, simply because the disk space (and the associated web traffic costs when downloading) are hideous. But we're just at the start, in that respect. We had to develop the technological foundation first.

On 2/2/2021 at 1:27 AM, Ssnake said:

Depends of course how you define "quality". I think that Hannover-Weserbergland or even more so the new Bergen-Soltau-Fallingbostel maps are "very high quality" in that they offer a lot of detail, variety, and good topographical fidelity (that is, if you look at a real map, you'll find a lot of the features you'd expect in the right locations). But, they are not of the highest possible resolution if that's what you mean.

There is a "Paderborn" map with rather fugly looking houses, but it's based on LIDAR scans, so there you can get an idea of the practical difference between a 10m grid and a 1m grid. I still wouldn't say that it's the prettiest or most interesting map, but it's high-res, if that's what you're after.

I expect to see more high-res maps coming in the next years. I don't expect us to include a vast number of them, simply because the disk space (and the associated web traffic costs when downloading) are hideous. But we're just at the start, in that respect. We had to develop the technological foundation first.

Question: During the period that spanned from 8bit .raw to .hgt (jp2), resolution was fixed to 12.5m/px*. If I am to provide data for import to a top tier costumer with latest version map engine, is the import resolution still fixed to 12.5 or is there an option dialog during import to define input resolution for finer sources (1-2m/px)? Is it still limited to importing dted or does it accepts other formats like .asc or even .tif?

*1024x1024=12.8km

2048x2048=25.6km

Edited by stormrider_sp

• Members

The classroom version would accept ASCII grid data (.asc) from LIDAR scans, and import it at effectively .78125m resolution (the uder's manual has a section about this).

If you imported DTED files you'd be limited to supported DTED resolutions, of course.

1 hour ago, Count Sessine said:

Thank you :) Is there a link to the Bergen-Soltau-Fallingbostel map? I can't see it in the downloads section.

It should be in the default set of maps.

It would be nice if the map list and the map names were sorted in the way users could understand the location and type of the map. Despite that some have modest discriptions, now its a mess and a real pain to chose.