bug 9537; M-47 Dragon - Missile just disappears [FIXED]

Lumituisku

Have any of you guys have has anything like this happen before?

I was playing with friends, as me being a host  on mission I made, and at first Dragon missiles worked just fine but at the end of mission,  those suddenly started to disappear from user, and observer still would see missile to shoot out and fly but not explode.  But user would just fire it and not even see missile.

image.thumb.png.e5319715c399710138119daf2fc96b1f.png

There is not much of value in AAR...   We did fire over water, so maybe that has something to do with it?  And in proximity of trees? 

On couple occasions there is visible puff of smoke on AAR after fire, but then nothing as if Missile just vanished.  

Also as said, I was host, so somehow I would expect that I would not have issue of firing missile on mission i made and hosted.  And yet on video, same thing happened to me too. 

Odd part is. User didn't see it fly but others did. Though I didn't see it explode because of trees. But my friend did see mine hit the ground. So.... I suppose if this happens just keep crosshair on target and hope for the best? And maybe we will get some better data from AAR if macig Dragon actually hits something after all. Though problem is when this happened we forgot to keep aim on target. Because we got the reload sounds as if missile had already hit something. 

I have not yet been able to re-produse this bug either. :(

will keep trying on my slow space as I have lack of time to devote to bug hunting. 

Edited by Lumituisku

• Members

I don't want to speculate about the nature of the bug. Does it reliably happen in network sessions (but not in single player)?

This is important information for replicating the problem in the debugger. The more we know, the faster we get to find and fix it.

Networksessions as far as I am aware.   

My friend with whom problem first occurred has untrusty network with Steelbeast most of the time but like only with Steelbeast.  And it doesn't seem to affect router as network of others of his household doesn't suffer when his session on SB crash. Odd part is, that the day of this "magic dragon" there was no problems with his network stability, he was able to stay whole session, with total 4 of us, and even some multicrew afterwards.  So I dunno.  With him, it is easy to think that it would be somehow network related... but then again there was no problems at all on entire day. But maybe this was the problem, and perhaps I could re-produce this again with him.  Though it would likely take to next weekend before I get to play with him again. 

Edited by Lumituisku

Oh...I just remembered a possibly crucially important detail that could prove helpful.  When this started to happen, my other two friends had just lost units, and I cave them two of my  M113s  that had dragon teams. And they, as unfamiliar with infantry cave those to my friend.   Who then, had these vanishing missile problems with those teams afterwards.    

So perhaps it has to do with ownership change of vehicles and then ownership change of squads aligned to that vehicle?   

Edited by Lumituisku

Here is unfinished test scenario we played where the problem occurred. + AAR and report.

Problem occurred at the very end where we basically stopped playing, and did some testing and took those videos and then rushed in with M60 tanks and cave it up.  

Basically, problem started to occur after last visible Dragon hit to BMP on AAR, so after +01.06.52  time stamb

Timeframe.thumb.jpg.92eaa194cdd2a019942e97dd7d4d5103.jpg

1807172884_Timeframe2.thumb.jpg.d29113fed5520b702eb8e0b0c5a35205.jpg

70s capture Troy.sce 1679409853_70scaptureTroy_16004_020621TUULI2132.aar 70s capture Troy.sce_16_02-06-21_21_32_14.htm

Edited by Lumituisku

• Lumituisku changed the title to bug 9537; M-47 Dragon - Missile just disappears
  • 1 month later...

I saw that someone else had problems with Dragon missiles and remembered this. So I went to do some testing. At first it seemed that I was able to reproduce this right away as missile just disappeared.  But I think that wasn't the case.. I think missile simply hit tree... +  at the time I didn't have another instance running to see it. 

But bit later after switching units, and getting some casualties from enemies..     it happened.  Dragon missile wasn't there when I fired, and started to reload instantly, while on other session I saw missile launch and fly towards targed trees...  but I didn't see explosion.    Will upload video later...  just got phone call to hurry to work.     

Edit:  I was using same mission as above.   

Edited by Lumituisku

I will go to work for couple of hours... But will leave pc and session open. As i seem to be able to reproduce this now. Thought I don't know why.

So in few hours if there is interest need. Those who work on this can join on my session + i will upload video. 

This seems to be either or combination of unit swapping, terrain (namely trees / bushes) casualties. 

Sooo...  I was able to re-procuse this effect, but only until I ran dry on missiles.   Parent vehicle was dead and wasn't able to re-supply.  

I tested that on another missile team too.  I destroed parent vehicle of team but wasn't able to produce effect.  It could be that I missed a step. maybe I forgot to change ownership?  Or maybe AI needs to do something first? 

here is video I spoke earlier.  

Oookay.  Found how to repeat this bug and when this happens. 

This bug:  Missile is not visible for user but others can see it fly when fired, happens when squad leader  (unit that player can occupy)  is killed.

I was also able to produce this without changing ownership of units.   It seems that it is enough if Dragon missileteams squad leader is killed for this bug to occur. 

Edited by Lumituisku

Also..  when squad leader is killed.  Dragon team no longer picks up suplies from M113A            not sure if that is a bug too or feature?  I think it would be logical for team to continue fight and to be able to pick more missiles from parent AFV even after squad leader was killed.  

Also  if by some freak change as what I just witnessed, squadleader was necromanced alive by buddy aid afterwards / just when team mounts into parent vehicle.  The mounting process of missile team stays on and whole process is jammed.  Squad B, without their leader will sit tight on parent vehicle, as if they weren't there anymore at all.  And  squadleader even if ownership changes refuses to mount because there is already remains of his squad in there (with new secondary squad leader?)  however player is only granted controls of original reviwed one...  and can move it around but not mount on main vehicle

...   only way I was able to solve problem was to kill him again. >.<  

Edited by Lumituisku

Ooookay...  important turn on this bug.    ->  we may need to rename this bug

I was testing and about to report another bug  about squaleader being killed affecting reloading.  But it seems that  squadleaders death is cause a lot of things and not only on dragon missile, but other missiles too.

->  If squadleader dies,  squad weapon will seem to fire but missile just disappears and wont actually strike anything, as if...  the weapong would be damaged and malfunctioning.  What makes this weird is that results of what can be seen to happen are different for user  /  watcher'

->  Squad can no longer resuply ammunition to squad weapon,  missiles and light machinegun is tested.        

Disappearing missile happens on following at very least    

• Dragon
  • Gill / spike Mr
  • TOW
  • Milan
  • AT14

Likely all missiles >.<   they fire, and are seen to fire but they just go Poof after a moment  as if  missiles are aborted in midflight?   or that they hit but without warhead being armed. 

Missile and machinegun, AGL teams can no longer resuply from mounting vehicle,  I suspect same is true for all other teams.  

Also when squad leader is dead -  resuplying in mission editor  "hitting resuply"  does nothing.     Normally it does.  

I found an exeption to this. On riffle squads it seems that only regular smoke grenades do resuply, anything else doesn't.

Edited by Lumituisku

• Volcano changed the title to bug 9537; M-47 Dragon - Missile just disappears [FIXED]