4.250, Framerate drop?

Captain_Colossus

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/1/2021 at 12:54 AM, stormrider_sp said:

Yes, I noticed some loss of fluidity, but along with that a new level of quality in the graphics. I cant explain exactly, but something has changed and it looks quite better.

Perhaps you need to tweak your graphics settings now.

"...along with that a new level of quality in the graphics."

There's a new graphics quality?  Hmmm .. I haven't noticed that. Where is set if it's an option?

Thanks ....

54 minutes ago, BadgerDog said:

"...along with that a new level of quality in the graphics."

There's a new graphics quality?  Hmmm .. I haven't noticed that. Where is set if it's an option?

Thanks ....

I think he is referring to things like railway embankments, etc. and other new items which the map creator needs to use when building the map / scenario.

These newer items are not automatically applied retrospectively to existing maps / scenarios.

3 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

I think he is referring to things like railway embankments, etc. and other new items which the map creator needs to use when building the map / scenario.

These newer items are not automatically applied retrospectively to existing maps / scenarios.

Thanks Mark .... thought I had missed something. 🤣

3 hours ago, Captain_Colossus said:

to add another issue: i experience frequent freezes or lockups with the update; when this happens, simply closing steel beasts doesn't work, it usually requires a system reboot to break the freeze.

I had one yesterday just like that after clicking on "Print Map". Couldn't get no matter what, to task manager to force close Steel Beasts. Had to force reboot.

• 2 weeks later...

Just adding my 2 cents. I'm running RTX 2080Ti, not the fastest one on the block anymore but not the slowest one either. I used to get completely playable FPS with everything cranked up but now it drops me well below 20s. By fiddling with terrain detail distance slider I seem to get the best results, but I guess this is already common knowledge. 

I'm not sure why others are having such FPS problems.

I have a 4 year old MacBook Pro 15” 2017 (Model A1707) Intel Core i7 3.1 GHz machine with an internal Radeon 560 dGPU, which is my primary computer for business and general use.  Obviously with the internal dGPU on the Mac, I was struggling in the last year had to run SB with much lower screen resolutions and reduced settings just to get FPS in the 19's and 20's range to make it playable at all.

Then my wife (God bless her) noticed how much time I spent in SB and she bought me a Sapphire AMD 5700XT graphics card mounted in an external chassis (Razer X Chroma) which plugs into the TB3 port on my Mac.  I'm running updated and current Windows 10 under Apple's Bootcamp, booting from a standalone "external" Samsung T7 SSD, which works great by the way. I have a Dell 27" 144 Hz Gaming Monitor plugged into the back of the 5700XT via a the Razer X Chroma Displayport connection. 

I've been running 21.2.3 AMD current drivers successfully on Windows 10 and I set SB to the MAXIMUM screen resolution it allows and crank up the graphics settings.

I get 57 FPS to 60 FPS all the time regardless of screen activity with SB 4.250.  It hardly varies and I suspect it could go even higher, but must be limited in the SB code to 60 FPS?

So, why am I having such success with FPS with this configuration while others with even more powerful graphics cards in actual native Windows PC's are struggling?

What am I not understanding?

Edited by BadgerDog

5 hours ago, BadgerDog said:

I'm not sure why others are having such FPS problems.

I have a 4 year old MacBook Pro 15” 2017 (Model A1707) Intel Core i7 3.1 GHz machine with an internal Radeon 560 dGPU, which is my primary computer for business and general use.  Obviously with the internal dGPU on the Mac, I was struggling in the last year had to run SB with much lower screen resolutions and reduced settings just to get FPS in the 19's and 20's range to make it playable at all.

Then my wife (God bless her) noticed how much time I spent in SB and she bought me a Sapphire AMD 5700XT graphics card mounted in an external chassis (Razer X Chroma) which plugs into the TB3 port on my Mac.  I'm running updated and current Windows 10 under Apple's Bootcamp, booting from a standalone "external" Samsung T7 SSD, which works great by the way. I have a Dell 27" 144 Hz Gaming Monitor plugged into the back of the 5700XT via a the Razer X Chroma Displayport connection. 

I've been running 21.2.3 AMD current drivers successfully on Windows 10 and I set SB to the MAXIMUM screen resolution it allows and crank up the graphics settings.

I get 57 FPS to 60 FPS all the time regardless of screen activity with SB 4.250.  It hardly varies and I suspect it could go even higher, but must be limited in the SB code to 60 FPS?

So, why am I having such success with FPS with this configuration while others with even more powerful graphics cards in actual native Windows PC's are struggling?

What am I not understanding?

These things can vary from system to system. There are an enormous amount of variables beyond hardware models and drivers versions.