A question regarding CodeMeter stick

happycat

Hello everyone. I am a new user of Steel Beasts and just purchased my license with CodeMeter stick. I just have a question regarding the CodeMeter stick. I guess as all electronic devices, someday the CodeMeter stick may get hardware failure and stop working. In that case, is there a cheaper way for me to just replace the CodeMeter stick without to buy a new licese?

Thank you.

Edited by happycat

Firstly welcome!

In case of failure, the usual route is to contact eSim and they will make a determination about a swap / replacement.

The USB stick (or similar device) appears to be a key requirement of the Codemeter system and the firm itself doesn't appear to be looking at alternatives.

There are various ways to reduce risk (in terms of using ports at the rear of the PC or sharing the license from a different PC [a license server if you like] to the box being used to run the software, etc.) but all are based on the USB stick being plugged in "somewhere".

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

Short answer: Yes.

Slightly longer answer: Yes, but depending on whether it's a device failure or an external damage, eSim would replace the stick for free, or for a $35.- fee covering the material costs plus shipping & handling. In both cases we would restore your licenses, to the extent that we can identify which licenses you had on the CM stick. We cannot replace licenses from other software vendors, obviously.

Note that the one-year license is $39.50, so maybe that's actually a pretty sweet deal after all as it involves no CM stick shipment. On the other hand, if you reinstall Windows often or work with virtual machines, the CM stick would be the better option.

Worth mentioning is that the failure reates of CodeMeter sticks is pretty low. Irrespective of reason, we had less than a dozen replacements last year (going by memory here), and most of them were of the "free of charge" kind. Where we can't offer replacement is in cases of loss, theft, or complete, traceless destruction. We need you to be able to mail in the old CM stick (or what's left of it, even if your dog ate it (yes, we had one such case)). If, another real-life case, your house burned completely to the ground we'd kindly ask you to take your case to the insurance company - likewise, if an airline lost your luggage with the CM stick in it. That airlines can be highly reluctant to fulfill their IATA obligations with respect to checked luggage is something that we regret as much as the guy next door, but we can't cover for the failings of third parties.

Thank you, both Ssnake and Gibsonm. I asked the question because one of my normal USB drives stopped work for no obvious reason. And Ssnake gives me peace of mind. My friends did suggest me to buy time based license to try first, but from the posts in this forum, I conclude it must be the right choice (and I like the word "iternal"), so why waste an extra $9.5 :) .     

P.S. It is surprise for me to know the dog story is real, I thought people just made that up for fun.   

Edited by happycat

• 2 years later...
  • Members

We can't transfer the licenses. The CmStick/C - ask me how I know - still has the potential to ruin a USB plug if the notebook falls down on the little protrusion, and due to its small size it's even easier to lose.

Yes, I have a couple of them lying around, and if someone insists on it, we can arrange that I send out a CmStick/C instead of a regular stick being sent (when buying a new classic license). But if you're afraid of physical abuse, I would either recommend a "USB A male-to-female" extension cable (about as short as you can get them, USB 2.0 rating is sufficient), or switching over to time-based licenses.

If the physical abuse is sufficient to damage your computer, consider our time-based licenses rather than the classical. The loss of a time-based license is probably the least dramatic part of having your whole computer crunched, and it's always possible to install a new time-based license on a new computer.

I use a lot of low profile sticks for various reasons.  I have never dropped a PC as to damage it through that stick.  Its usually wrecked for other more sever reasons in the fall.  I have twice in the last three years wrecked USB ports on a laptop by forgetting about them and trying to put them in a travel bag.  I have wrecked a laptop once by catching the long stick on me as I walked by and it hung out a little over a table.  

As to the timed license; I change laptops every 6-12 months.  I read that the licenses weren't transferable.  I also play on two different laptops.  Is there away to accommodate that?  One is for home use and one my travel laptop.