New at uploading maps and completely lost.

Michael Ramsey

What I am attempting to do, is provide a customized map on my pc for a military unit to use.  They are purchasing SB (Out of their own pocket) and wish to display my map on a tactical map floor trainer (ARES).  I am on the West Coast and they are on the East.  Once they have their SB fired up, I would like to make the map accessible.  From what I understand they will be hooking up multiple pc's in the hope of a shareware server.  My question is: If I conduct a session giving them the IP, will they see the map, and if so, can they download it for posterity. 

• Administrators

The easy way is to post the map to the downloads area here: https://www.steelbeasts.com/files/category/137-map-packages-41/

Then the map will get posted to the map server.  Your friends will get prompted to download the map if they have the map package manager installed when they open the scenario.  

1 hour ago, Sean said:

The easy way is to post the map to the downloads area here: https://www.steelbeasts.com/files/category/137-map-packages-41/

Then the map will get posted to the map server.  Your friends will get prompted to download the map if they have the map package manager installed when they open the scenario.  

Yes but then its shared with everyone (not just his unit), which may or may not be an issue.

@Michael Ramsey Happy to talk you through how to share it via a file share service so only those who need to get it, can.

If its "open to all" then sure follow Sean's guidance.

1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

Yes but then its shared with everyone (not just his unit), which may or may not be an issue.

@Michael Ramsey Happy to talk you through how to share it via a file share service so only those who need to get it, can.

No, unless you choose to download it yourself. It won't be automatically part of the map packages.

3 minutes ago, stormrider_sp said:

No, unless you choose to download it yourself. It won't be automatically part of the map packages.

Yes I know but there is no way to stop someone, if they know the reference code (or get the scenario from someone who wasn't supposed to give it to them).

Edited by Gibsonm

Just now, Gibsonm said:

Yes I know but there is no way to stop someone, if they know the reference code (or get the scenario from someone who wasn't supposed to give it to them).

Sorry, I misread that, you're right. But in that case I wonder why would someone want that? Unless it's a restricted military to military product, I see no reason for restricting access.

Let me list them for you:

1. Someone's Copyright / Intellectual Property - not free to all to use.

2. If you do "share" you need two maps (since you can no longer limit where you share of a given map, whereas before you could just embed a specific section):

• The full map (including the area you don't want to share).
  • A "public" version where the "private" part needs to be removed (buildings, range complexes, etc.).
  • Then you need to maintain both copies, with version control issues.

3. A few other points.

In part this is why I can no longer share Australian Defence Training Areas / Australian terrain, since they are all "Crown Copyright" and why Rolling Thunders are now Europe based only.

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members
8 hours ago, Michael Ramsey said:

I have created a map from scratch and wish to share with some friends.  I have combed through an old SB manual with no luck.  The map is published, but how do I get it on the server to share?

Among the "SB Map Package Transfer Tools" is the Map Package Deployment Tool. This you use to compress all necessary files (automatically) into one, effectively, zip file with its Map UID for searchj and identification on map servers. That file you would then upload to a location where your friends can access it.

That could be SteelBeasts.com in the Download section, your own map package server (via the SB Map Package Transfer Manager).

Version 4.250 contains also a separate user manual for the Steel Beasts Map Package Transfer Tools (which you don't have, because, 4.167), see attachment, with illustrations. I hope it helps.

MapPackageTransfer.pdf

8 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Great point about the sharing, the map is of the JBMDL (Joint Base McGuire Dix Lakehurst) in New Jersey (USA).  I was able to build it from an old range control map for eight digit grids and google satellite for longitude/latitude reference. I do not see a distribution restriction on the map.  The concept is simple, train troops through mission rehearsal on a simulator.  The commander of the Battle Simulations Group seen a stupid little vid I posted on Facebook and was amazed, he then asked if Fort Dix was in the sim.  I told him it didn't, he was disappointed in a map representation provided by a system called ARES, a tactical digital floor display.  After thinking about it, I combed through the maps to find grids that lined up with Fort Dix with relatively flat terrain, and I found it.  4 months later its done, now a troop can practice with a sand table, then on to the sim, then boots on the ground in the exact same place he was at in the sim.  The buildings might look different but they are there, just like on his/her map.  Amazing! then I blew his mind with the AAR.  He also has a need to train Observer Controllers (OC), I have included a little demo I showed him, grids are correct and he is located in TAC 7A.  Just a note: The good COL. and myself have footed the bill so far, SB is not recognized as an approved trainer.  We are using the concept of "You can add to training, after you teach the approved courseware".  

2 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

I've spent some time in the JBMDL training areas.

Terrain is not as flat as one might imagine.

Regardless, it's good to see a JBMDL map. Any chance you would be willing to share it? I might still have some MDL MGRS maps in my closet.

This is the bowling alley at Dix, that water hole is on the JBMDL Map.

120101269_129804115498763_710041685531725663_n.jpg

99660382_2021-02-0413-28-16.mkv

Just now, Michael Ramsey said:

This is the bowling alley at Dix, that water hole is on the JBMDL Map.

120101269_129804115498763_710041685531725663_n.jpg

99660382_2021-02-0413-28-16.mkv 216.57 MB · 0 downloads

Below is the floor demo for the Battle Simulations group, You may notice that McQuire AFB and Ft Dix cantonment is missing. This is at the request of the BSG as it serves no purpose (Non-Maneuver Area).  This Map is called the JBMDL (Ukraine), I also build a second map JBMDL (Syria).  As soon as I finish a few small details I will get it out.

8 hours ago, Michael Ramsey said:

4 months later its done, now a troop can practice with a sand table, then on to the sim, then boots on the ground in the exact same place he was at in the sim.  The buildings might look different but they are there, just like on his/her map.  Amazing! then I blew his mind with the AAR.  He also has a need to train Observer Controllers (OC), I have included a little demo I showed him, grids are correct and he is located in TAC 7A.  Just a note: The good COL. and myself have footed the bill so far, SB is not recognized as an approved trainer.  We are using the concept of "You can add to training, after you teach the approved courseware". 

@Michael Ramsey Happy to talk to you about this off line.

We use it extensively and if you need suggestions on how to conduct and activity, or other issues, just let me know.

This very much in the realm of what I do.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/243694440283940, this is a place were we discuss through pm the map build, I have grid checkers that keep me on track.  If you look at the you tube channel you may find reference to ATTN: BSG.  This means that it is a vid for the Battle Simulations Group 254th Regiment.  It normally covers an issue brought up with a solution.  Its easier to show it than explain it  The group is a closed group to military and veterans only, but I am willing to make some exceptions, feel free to contact me. Cheers

8 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

From memory- there were two large battle lanes that we conducted, both on the far east side of the training area. 

Lane 1: Clearance through complex / wooded terrain

image.png.d9d2302bcd96eacd9840851596acd49e.png

Lane 2: Urban attacks (enemy fights a delay)

image.png.0a007e0f4508a2e29290061009b26feb.png

This is the Sandpiper or Range 80 directly across from Range 85.  The gray area on the first attachment is the Combined Logistics Training Site.  What are these photos? I do not recognize the icons.  I should note that the Sandpiper (Range 80) is a collection of old shipping containers with holes cut in them for windows.  I replaced them with structures, the BSG agreed with the move.   This was what COL Melendez (BSG Commander) originally wanted, however he requested that I expand the area to facilitate BN and BDE operations, thus the JBMDL Map, great stuff.

Screenshot (883).png

Screenshot (884).png

1 hour ago, Gibsonm said:

Sorry no Facebook for me:

1. I'm not allowed (against Defence policy).

2. I think its a waste of time so perfectly happy not to have it (or Twitter or the multitude of other social media time leeches out there).

How do want to communicate?

2 minutes ago, Michael Ramsey said:

This is the Sandpiper or Range 80 directly across from Range 85.  The gray area on the first attachment is the Combined Logistics Training Site.  What are these photos? I do not recognize the icons.  I should note that the Sandpiper (Range 80) is a collection of old shipping containers with holes cut in them for windows.  I replaced them with structures, the BSG agreed with the move.   This was what COL Melendez (BSG Commander) originally wanted, however he requested that I expand the area to facilitate BN and BDE operations, thus the JBMDL Map, great stuff.

Screenshot (883).png

Screenshot (884).png

These shots are not of the complete map.