infantry death animation delay (intermittent)

Captain_Colossus

there is some kind of intermittent bug which occurs every so often re: delayed infantry death animation; i have noticed this when using coaxial machine guns scoring hits on prone infantry which don't appear to die, although they are killed as far as the program is concerned, but the animation which shows them dying appears to be delayed. this is difficult to capture in a screenshot.

it looks like this: a group of infantry lying prone. spray the entire group with machine gun fire one by one, the blood spatters, the infantry are still lying prone. at some point, the program decides to flip them all into their death states at the same time, and this can occur several seconds after they are 'killed'; this is not infantry surviving hits with body armor, they are being killed as they are hit, they just don't look dead until some delayed reaction depicting them dead until some time later

it is single player, and it does look like something you would see with multiplayer lag.

however,  i suspect the issue is with a particular scenario that i see it happening: the infantry squads are scripted to retreat or surrender  after a specified number of casualties + random variable- either that is somehow messing with something or maybe there is some kind of memory issue due to the large number of infantry units in the scenario. i'll test more later.

Edited by Captain_Colossus

• 4 months later...

i have seen this delayed death happen repeatedly, but i cannot predict when it happens or demonstrate it. my guess is that infantry heavy scenarios seem more likely to demonstrate what is going on - either the large presence of infantry is the trigger, or there is something going on where the chances of it occurring are increased because there are large numbers of infantry; in either case, it seems impossible for a user to predict and simply create a test scenario to demonstrate it or else one of your programmers may need to actually stumble onto it. however, i just downloaded several user submitted scenarios in order to rule out what might be going on, and it seems more likely to occur with one of apocalypse 31's afghanistan missions due to the large enemy infantry groups. out of six times running this scenario, i observed the effect twice while killing enemy infantry teams north of the airfield; with high zoom piranha crows 50 cal. sights shooting them, there is no mistaking when it happens

Edited by Captain_Colossus