Help with updating an old map (trees sunk into ground)

Sgt_Anzac

I'm currently updating some old maps I made a long time ago and remaking some old scenarios.
A lot of things have happened in the map editor since I last used it. 
I have found and odd problem that i can't really find a solution to.
I searched the forums but have been unable to find any topics covering it.

Trees in a woodland tile are sunk into the ground about 2 meters, and the trunk of the trees can not be seen , only the branches are above ground.
Single trees placed however are normal. in the attached picture the trees are all of the same type, the one on the right is the single tree.  
Is there a way to fix this?

screenshot.png

When it comes to woods,  trees at their edges are scaled down  and  sunk into ground intentionally, but, guess, this is not quite right for some types of trees and needs some investigation. But at this point,  if  woodland tile was utilized  to replicate group if individual trees, it could be better to replace it with individual trees...

52 minutes ago, Jartsev said:

When it comes to woods,  trees at their edges are scaled down  and  sunk into ground intentionally, but, guess, this this is not quite right for some types of trees and needs some investigation. But at this point,  if  woodland tile was utilized  to replicate group if individual trees, it could be better to replace it with individual trees...

Ahh yes, that was the problem, looking further into larger areas of woods they are not sunk into the ground a few tiles in.
Thanks!
Now I only need to find a fitting tree that does not become a huge buch that covers any sight into the wooded areas.  

• Moderators

This is not a bug, but I can help explain so that hopefully it makes more sense.

So basically, the way it works is - some trees sink and some  do not, this is by design. However, they only sink if used as a forest tile (not when placed as individual trees). Then, within that, if the sinking trees occur only on the edge of forests. So, if you have painted a single pixel of forest in this case, then it is treating it as the "edge", and so they sink. If you paint a larger forest, then the sinking would only be on the edge.

Now whether they should be sinking in some of these cases is another matter, but its subjective (not everyone will agree).

In the mean time, try panting larger forests or use the single "Tree" object rather than a pixel of forest tile.

Hope that helps.

My main problem was the sinking trees at the edges of woods, it caused some issues with infantry and LOS in a mission.  I fixed it by changing the type of tree to one that has a bit more trunk to it. 
Thanks for all the help!