Poll - How do you spend your SB Pro PE time?

ReplDepot

How do you spend most of your SB Pro PE time?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Please choose from the list below the things you do the most with SB Pro PE

• Playing Single Player Scenarios vs the AI
    • Playing Co-op Scenarios vs the AI with one or more people (doesn’t include events hosted by a VU)
    • Playing 1 human vs 1 human (doesn’t include events hosted by a Virtual Unit)
    • Any kind of Multiplayer online that is hosted by a Virtual Unit
    • Sandboxing for your own purposes, not shared beyond your own desktop/laptop
    • Creating scenarios of any type, to share online with others
    • Creating maps, to share online with others (include modding themes here)
    • Creating mods of any type, to share online with others (includes templates for call signs, formations, etc)
    • Professional development (your own, or assisting others in theirs)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/06/2021 at 07:00 AM

Playing online in a VU setting where you have 20+ people regularly is where Steel Beasts shines, in my humble opinion. It is one thing to come up with a good plan and "telepathically" transmit that to an AI that will do exactly what you tell them to do. It is another entirely to have to communicate said plan to a group of players in a manner that they understand, and to consider the personalities of your subordinates and how they will perform. Many games try to simulate this, but nothing comes close to actually having to deal with real people. 

22 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Especially up-to-date multi-core CPUs will speed up load times considerably. SSDs also help, but probably not as much as many cores. What CPU do you have?

Admittedly my PC is getting long in the tooth. Its an older i7 920 processor, RX 580 GPU, 12 Gig Ram, plenty of space on HDD (not SSD).

Map and scenario editors generally are stable and have reasonable load times, but any sort of height operation on a map (raising/levelling roads namely) will cause extremely unstable and lengthy load and save times, often crashing or hard-locking/freezing my computer.

• Members

Needless to say, we'd be interested in the crashdump files. Slow, even intolerably slow operations are something we might have to live with, given that the amount of data is seriously going up as soon as high resolution operations are involved (such as road and building leveling, building ramps). But Steel Beasts should never crash.

The only way to find out what component was responsible for the crash is to look at the crashdump files. Here we have a thread dedicated to this specific problem:

A few years ago I would've voted "Creating maps...".   It's a meticulous job, so to break up the monotony I would make quick scenarios on areas of a map I've just worked on. Sadly, map-editing has fallen by the wayside due to time constraints. However, I find myself more and more firing up those quick scenarios to study and admire my map work and to polish up on my scenario creation. Thus I voted "Sandboxing".

Having the TC order the gunner to fire at a target thru buildings and missing EVERY time, wasting precious ammo..Idiotic fixation of tankers for grunts and refusing to engage the bigger threat just ahead..Tanker refusing to advance into impact area's when the artillery has stopped firing..Sounds of explosions sounding like REAL explosions, in stead of the "punt punta" sounds we have now...

11 hours ago, delta6 said:

Having the TC order the gunner to fire at a target thru buildings and missing EVERY time, wasting precious ammo..Idiotic fixation of tankers for grunts and refusing to engage the bigger threat just ahead..Tanker refusing to advance into impact area's when the artillery has stopped firing..Sounds of explosions sounding like REAL explosions, in stead of the "punt punta" sounds we have now...

Seems like you're wasting your time....

Btw:

"Having the TC order the gunner to fire at a target thru buildings and missing EVERY time"...

Haven't seen that

"Tanker refusing to advance into impact area's when the artillery has stopped firing"

Haven't seen that

"Sounds of explosions sounding like REAL explosions, in stead of the "punt punta" sounds we have now."

...possible as soon a speakers able to produce shockwaves are developed...

8 hours ago, Grenny said:

Seems like you're wasting your time....

Btw:

"Having the TC order the gunner to fire at a target thru buildings and missing EVERY time"...

Haven't seen that

"Tanker refusing to advance into impact area's when the artillery has stopped firing"

Haven't seen that

"Sounds of explosions sounding like REAL explosions, in stead of the "punt punta" sounds we have now."

...possible as soon a speakers able to produce shockwaves are developed...

Getting those things corrected does seem like a waste of my time, seeing as NOTHING will be done to correct it...If i could get a full refund i would sent the sim back to esim..

33 minutes ago, delta6 said:

Getting those things corrected does seem like a waste of my time, seeing as NOTHING will be done to correct it...If i could get a full refund i would sent the sim back to esim..

Thats what this whole subfourm is about:

https://www.steelbeasts.com/forum/15-support/

Didn't find any useful/verfiable report from you there....

How do you spend your SB Pro PE time?

1) Dying.

2) Trying to avoid the creepy gaze of the loader guy, or whoever it is that sits to the left of the TC (Leopard 2)

3) Admiring the technology on a modern tank - lasing and dynamic lead seems like cheating.

4) See no 1. 

• Members

If you spend time as a hopeful movie director, and if you haven't tried this out yet: Pause a game in an (external) 3D view while testing a scenario, and hit Alt+Space to bring up the Camera Animation window, so you can control camera movement and zoom.

certainly will try it. watching steel beasts mature over the years, in my opinion the graphics detail is worth watching passively in order to admire the work put into it that playing doesn't wouldn't allow players appreciate in the same way when concentrating on their objectives- the particle and tracer effects, for example, and the other day i noticed the spiraling flight path of a helicopter launched atgm outbound tracking a target. the effect was really well done just to watch and admire.