How do you order a gunner to keep still?

Bloke

3 hours ago, Bloke said:

Interesting replies, many thanks.

I was basically wondering if a TC on an M1A2 had something like a pair of goggles connected to the tank's electronics, so that an override would point the barrel exactly where the TC is looking. Maybe that's something for future generations of tanks - the technology is certainly there. Or maybe the idea of sticking your head outside of a tank is outdated given the amount of data from all the sensors. Then again, maybe the entire concept of having any humans inside the tank at all won't last long...

No with the FLEX 50 in front,  The commander can use Bino's as well as see over the Weapon assembly. With the CROWS system in front of the Commander you really don't need Binos as the Commander can just use its optics to scan with. The CROWS does not override the Turret either even though its integrated into the CDU. The CITV's can override the Turret Gun LOS as it's part of the integrated FCS.

On 4/2/2021 at 2:54 PM, TSe419E said:

In my experience as an M60A1 gunner laying the gun on target while the TC has his head outside the hatch is an acquired skill.  I remember seeing most TCs practicing at least a little when in the field and a lot when on the range.  I had a couple of TCs the were good and a couple of TCs that were excellent.

This was a requirement for Tank Commander School both 60,s and Abrams.

The flexibility of the TC override in the Abrams is enough to make me switch from the Leopard 2, whether or not it reflects a real-world difference. I'm still learning the game though, and I'm sure I will find a reason to switch back. 🙂

All I want now is for the override to toggle...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

Many thanks for all the replies to my previous questions. 👍

I have one more. I'm having fun setting up scenarios and playing them single-player. It seems a good way to learn. But the ONLY thing I can do better than the AI is drive, especially through forests or towns. Other than that, the AI can spot and accurately engage targets very quickly and over huge distances. After setting up routes, I feel like a spectator (as long as the routes dont go near forests or towns).

So, how can you feel part of the action from within a tank? 

1 hour ago, Bloke said:

So, how can you feel part of the action from within a tank? 

I'd suggest doing the Tutorials on whichever vehicle you are using and then occupying the relevant positions:

F9 - Driver

F6 - Gunner

F7 - Crew Commander

Then you can do a whole range of actions related to each position.

I'm assuming you are currently using the F8 - Observer position?

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members

Well, one of the main development goals for Steel Beasts was to make the commander's position a really useful and interactive one (which at the time was, I felt, severely neglected. The platoon leader is probably the busiest person on the battlefield - manage the crew, manage communications within the own tank via intercom, with the own platoon via radio, and maintaining communication with higher ups. He still needs to maintain situational awareness, define platoon formations, set the bounds during cautious advance, manage the ammunition usage and supply situation, etc.

So, that's where I think you should start, once that you're familiar with the other positions (gunner, driver, external observer). Eventually you may want to "level up" to control multiple units by teleporting between them, and here probably mostly from the external observer's position. But if you want to feel immersed and challenged with a wide variety of tasks while at the same time maintaining the best overview about "what's going on", the commander's place is where you want to be.

I move between all the F-keys, and F7 definitely makes you feel like you are in a tank. But F5 is where you make actual decisions. After that, I find myself watching via F8, especially if I enable the overhead view. From the TC position it is hard to add much. 

The only exception is driving. I can drive through a forest or town, the AI can't. 

• Members

A fair number of commands - to members of your own platoon - can be given through the command interface in the bottom right area of the screen; I don't know if you're aware of that. The map screen becomes essential only once that you control multiple platoons, and for general orientation purposes of course.

Yes, ultimately the map screen is a command interface, but once that you're in the position of a company/task force commander you would spend most of your time in the map screen anyway. To that extent the Steel Beasts experience is realistic (acknowledging that a lot of the things that would make it even more realistic aren't part of the simulation - like a very real sense of danger from dense objects at high velocities on random trajectories, battlefield smells, or the fact that you command pixeltruppen instead of real people, with families, friends, personality).

Thanks for the reply.

I'm having lot's of fun, just trying to find a sweet-spot between setting orders and participating 'on the ground' that works for me.

I also play Command: Modern Operations where plotting routes is all you ever do...