kb 2999226 STILL

Dave1967

Hi I thought id give this another go seeing as a new installer for the game has been updated , still having the same issue everything installs fine until the very end . Checks for windows updates and the same error appears . Unable to install KB2999226  missing . Have looked at earlier posts and it seems nothing works .Thought this would have been fixed by now .Glad I only bought 1 month licence .Going to give up on this game ,it shouldn't be this hard .

• Members

Well, like every software package, it depends on certain prerequisites being met, in this case a C++ runtime library, which in turn requires an update of Windows. You are on an unsupported Windows version (Win 7): if the update KB2999226 doesn't install, what are we supposed to do?

We can't fix Windows.

If you can't or don't want to upgrade Windows the alternative would be to install an older version of Steel Beasts, e.g. 3.0 or 4.0, which are still available on our downloads page, and which will work with time-based licenses. They were made for Windows XP (3.0) and XP/7 (4.0) respectively, so I'm rather optimistic that these will work.

Doesn't change the fact that your Windows version is no longer supported, and therefore highly vulnerable to internet attacks. Who knows, your machine may already have been hijacked without you realizing it. Maybe that's what's preventing the KB2999226 update from installing properly.

• Members

I can certainly understand how frustrating it must be. But like I wrote, you could try out version 4.0 with your one-month license. It wouldn't have the latest bells and whistles, but it should work fine (unless the installer, too, throws an error because it needs the same C++ runtime). Failing that, there's version 3.028. Granted, that's somewhat dated but the core principles of SB Pro PE 3 are just the same as 4.2, so it would at least answer the question if you like this type of a game, and might serve as a substitute until a new computer with a current operating system comes along.

• 1 month later...