Loading troops from another platoon

ben

I have been getting unexpected results with troops loading.

I assumed that only troops assigned to a vehicle should board it.

I have a BMP1 with a MountIf condition, it mounts the attached squad as expected but also mounts a separate nearby 2man infantry team who is not connected to the bmp platoon at all.

A similar thing happened with a few lone survivors boarding a truck from a nearby different platoon when I manually ordered LoadTroops at runtime.

Am I missing something as usual?!

• Members

How did you initiate the loading command - from the transporting vehicle, from the squad that was assigned to this vehicle, or from the map screen, or with a scripted load troops at waypoint command?

(Sounded like a scripted load at waypoint command, I just try to be thorought here.)

The "blind passengers", were they never assigned to a transport vehicle?

If not, was their transport vehicle immobilized or destroyed?

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

How did you initiate the loading command - from the transporting vehicle, from the squad that was assigned to this vehicle, or from the map screen, or with a scripted load troops at waypoint command?

(Sounded like a scripted load at waypoint command, I just try to be thorought here.)

The "blind passengers", were they never assigned to a transport vehicle?

If not, was their transport vehicle immobilized or destroyed?

In the first case it was scripted “Load If”to the BMP itself which was on a defend tactic.   The 2man infantry had no vehicle assigned.

The second example I gave, the extra passengers had lost their transport vehicles destroyed, and the loading was don’t by right ShiftU in the 3D F8 view.

I am working on an example scenario to demonstrate this reliably.

Edited by ben

I have something similar happening, it is in a complex scenario but it is consistent. A vehicle traveling along an 'engage' route, stops and picks up infantry that is there to hold a bridgehead, on it's way passed.

It has not happened every time, I think only since I added 'red' units to that area. At least it has been consistent for the last ten or so runs.

Edited by ssidiver

• Members

I guess we implemented it so that any infantry in the vicinity gets loaded, and it's probably unchanged since its introduction 2013.

Not sure if we should change it now, TBH. Maybe some preference settings per user or per scenario, but how much more complexity do we want...?

The more we differentiate functions like these the more difficult learning SBPro becomes for new players.

13 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

I guess we implemented it so that any infantry in the vicinity gets loaded, and it's probably unchanged since its introduction 2013.

Not sure if we should change it now, TBH. Maybe some preference settings per user or per scenario, but how much more complexity do we want...?

The more we differentiate functions like these the more difficult learning SBPro becomes for new players.

I see thanks Ssnake

I attached a scenario to demostrate.

It seems to be around 200M radius?

The problem is, if the new passengers steal seats from the original squad it can be impossible to reasign them to the vehicle!

In order to dynamically change passengers after some vehicles lost in combat It would be great to have the Troops -> Assign  menu item at runtime not just the Scenario Editor

mountingBug1.sce

• Members

I'm not saying that there is no problem at all ... although I do think that if you unload the wrong troops and then initiate the troop loading from the squad's F7/F8 view, it's probably going to rectify the situation. We'll think a bit more about this what can be done without complicating the UI. For what it's worth, it's been registered under bug number 9639.

56 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

I'm not saying that there is no problem at all ... although I do think that if you unload the wrong troops and then initiate the troop loading from the squad's F7/F8 view, it's probably going to rectify the situation. We'll think a bit more about this what can be done without complicating the UI. For what it's worth, it's been registered under bug number 9639.

I think it could be a useful feature if it is fully understood by the user.  For example at the end of a long mission where lots of infantry are fragmented and you could use ad hoc transport to pick them all up.

It would be useful to have some UI element to easily view the assigned and current passengers of each vehicle.

• Members
2 hours ago, ben said:

I think it could be a useful feature if it is fully understood by the user.  For example at the end of a long mission where lots of infantry are fragmented and you could use ad hoc transport to pick them all up.

...the current solution does that already, I'm just saying. More UI means we get to avoid the described case, but at the price of more UI complexity. Which may appear less problematic if you already are a Steel Beasts professional, but the majority of users, it's important to keep that in mind, are not.

12 hours ago, Ssnake said:

the current solution does that already,

Yeah that’s what I meant, its useful but not well known by users and not documented, unless I missed it in the manual or tutorials (quite possible!)

What about when a load waypoint is selected, a light grey circle appears around it indicating the pickup radius?

Edited by ben

• Members

Certainly imaginable, though I'm not sure if it's going to help you much in mission scripting/planning, as you'd need to know where exactly the troops are going to be by the time that a transport vehicle arrives there.

3 hours ago, ben said:

its useful but not well known by users and not documented, unless I missed it in the manual or tutorials

Arguably, the manual and tutorials make no statement that the load command were limited to assigned troops either. Bei it as it may be, I'll take that as a hint that we need to explain some mechanisms better, like this one.