Strykers Medium Infantry Structure & Equipment

Red2112

• 2 years later...

I had a friend Army Guard who fought with these in Iraq. I asked him what he thought of them and he sat back, grinned and said, "Oh I love 'em! They burn a whole rainbow of color when they're hit. Not just orange or red, like Gavins. Just the whole damn rainbow."

This was 16 years ago.

<edit, post thought>

But the thought that the US Army could make so much of a tool that was judged by so many as inadequate really speaks volumes about the motivation, training and budget of the troops. I mean, the good captain I refer to above did 4 tours IIRC and he always came back, as did most if not all of his troops. They weren't always in Strykers, but he did prefer them to Gavins (you can actually sit up in a Stryker) and they were quieter, as long as you stuck to roads.

But I don't understand why they couldnt just us bolt in a few computers into a LAV and use that? Why did they have to hike it up higher?

Edited by iamfritz

• Members

"Gavin"?

There was an airborne general of that name, but his name was never adopted for a vehicle. Some 20 years ago a borderline insane activist started a campaign to rename the M113 as "Gavin", primarily by referencing clueless people who had been duped by him first as circular logic "proof" that the name had already been adopted/everybody was doing it.

Please don't follow that madness.

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

"Gavin"?

There was an airborne general of that name, but his name was never adopted for a vehicle. Some 20 years ago a borderline insane activist started a campaign to rename the M113 as "Gavin", primarily by referencing clueless people who had been duped by him first as circular logic "proof" that the name had already been adopted/everybody was doing it.

Please don't follow that madness.

At least it's not just outright fallacies and information warfare like the hybrid attack on US aeroframe procurement executed by the "Reformers", just a nutso with a delusion.

Well, that Captain (now a Lt Col) and a couple of his vet/Guard buddies in the office called the M-113 "Gavin" a bunch. I'd thought it was just an Israeli designation, but they (Oregon Nat'l Guard) adopted it in Iraq.

Buuuut... now that I think about it, they hated it, so it might have been a troll-nick for it.

Edited by iamfritz

15 minutes ago, iamfritz said:

Well, that Captain (now a Lt Col) and a couple of his vet/Guard buddies in the office called the M-113 "Gavin" a bunch. I'd thought it was just an Israeli designation, but they (Oregon Nat'l Guard) adopted it in Iraq.

Buuuut... now that I think about it, they hated it, so it might have been a troll-nick for it.

The Gavin is a meme. Aerogavin etc.