HESH Is it too powerful?

MO  MO

• Members

I can but warn against any attempt to read more into our simulation results than is justified. All computer models are wrong (and ours is no exception). But some models are useful, and we hope that ours is one of them ... within the limits of applicable cases. Close distances and large amounts of HE are a combination where high confidence predictions are impossible within the constraints of our work, that is, using publicly available data combined with intelligent guesswork. One should not overestimate the protection value of tanks against direct or very close HE impacts, but what exactly will happen in any case is still an open question.

You want large caliber artillery rounds that impact in close vicinity of a tank to have a damaging effect, including desctruction. On the other hand, HESH would ideally create very specific effects despite having a not too small amount of HE filler. But we can't perform an analytical calculation of shockwave formation and how it passes through fluids and solids with the resulting reflections and refractions at edge surfaces. Also, the exact vulnerabilities of vehicles are neither systematically compiled nor public (because, classified)

The current simulation of high explosives and the associated fragmentation effect is a big step ahead compared to what we had before, but it is by no means perfect.

18 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I can but warn against any attempt to read more into our simulation results than is justified. All computer models are wrong (and ours is no exception). But some models are useful, and we hope that ours is one of them ... within the limits of applicable cases. Close distances and large amounts of HE are a combination where high confidence predictions are impossible within the constraints of our work, that is, using publicly available data combined with intelligent guesswork. One should not overestimate the protection value of tanks against direct or very close HE impacts, but what exactly will happen in any case is still an open question.

You want large caliber artillery rounds that impact in close vicinity of a tank to have a damaging effect, including desctruction. On the other hand, HESH would ideally create very specific effects despite having a not too small amount of HE filler. But we can't perform an analytical calculation of shockwave formation and how it passes through fluids and solids with the resulting reflections and refractions at edge surfaces. Also, the exact vulnerabilities of vehicles are neither systematically compiled nor public (because, classified)

The current simulation of high explosives and the associated fragmentation effect is a big step ahead compared to what we had before, but it is by no means perfect.

Yes, the current explosion and fragment simulation progress is obvious

I'm happy to see that progress, too

It's just that Hesh really surprised me, especially for modern AFV

But I also understand that the lack of relevant data may lead to differences in simulation results