List of system requirements for a laptop that can play SB with average 40 FPS and that for the next 5 years

Koen

43 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Something sounds very wrong here. I don't know what you're doing with your computer outside of visiting this forum and playing Steel Beasts. But it takes hardly 20...30 seconds on (any of) my machines.

Yeah, I know. This install is the result of several metamorphosis. It was originally a Win7 installation back in 2015. I was then offered to upgrade for free to Win10 and from that point on, Microsoft attempted more than once to correct some of the errors that occurred with people in a similar situation. I know I should have started from scratch, but I shudder at the the thought of bringing it back to this point again.

• Members

Nine shutdowns cost you about as much time as one reinstallation of Windows. I understand that preserving all the application specific settings are the more painful aspect that will cost more time. I'm a master procrastinator with the migration to my new computer myself. :o

But you know it has to be done.

Just... not today. :o

On 4/5/2021 at 4:09 PM, Koen said:

I bought this:  .../...

HP Gaming laptop OMEN 15-en0014nb (2Z9C6EA)

• AMD Ryzen 7 4800H
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB

.../... and ran a first test, the Hasty Defense-scenario, on default settings.

The result: 10 - 15 FPS 🙂

-> What should I look into first ?

Tx !

Edited by Koen

• Members

The User's Manual lists the graphics settings (roughly) in their descending order of influence on performance. You can open Alt+G and Alt+D simultaneously while you play, and then you can directly observe which settings have the biggest benefit for you.

That being said, on notebooks energy savings settings can always have an impact; background applications such as antivirus software starting a complete system scan while you play (because, reasons); graphics card driver settings. It shouldn't be configured to use shared memory for GPU and the rest of your system... but you never know if it isn't actually set to some idiotic, performance-killing configuration.

Frankly, with an RTX2060 10..15fps is unacceptable on default settings, unless the scenario in question is modified with crazy visibility settings like 11...15km (and even then I'd be negatively surprised). This makes me wonder if Steel Beasts actually uses the RTX for scene rendering. I suspect that for some reason Windows might be configured to use the integrated graphics of the Ryzen CPU. It's definitely worth checking.

12 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Nine shutdowns cost you about as much time as one reinstallation of Windows. I understand that preserving all the application specific settings are the more painful aspect that will cost more time. I'm a master procrastinator with the migration to my new computer myself. :o

But you know it has to be done.

Just... not today. :o

First, make sure all your drivers are updated. Go to nvidia and download the latests certified.

Then, I'd recommend going through one these windows 10 gaming optimization guides, like the one below. Note that there are plenty of these and there are even game specific guides with nvidia control settings.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-optimize-windows-for-pc-gaming

• Members
2 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

First, make sure all your drivers are updated.

In all fairness, the discrepancy in expeced to observed framerate is too big for me to believe that it's purely a matter of driver optimization. It all smells as if the integrated GPU is being used rather than the NVidia card.

3 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

In all fairness, the discrepancy in expeced to observed framerate is too big for me to believe that it's purely a matter of driver optimization. It all smells as if the integrated GPU is being used rather than the NVidia card.

Most likely yes, but to go through all the optimization means that at some point, the user will be confronted with that option with the bonus of added knowledge.

3 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Mysterious: 

* WIN 10: I linked SB to Nvidia RTX

* Nvidia Panel: I linked SB to Nvidia RTX

(and restarted)

* Task Manager: shows that SB runs on GPU-0, that is Nvidia RTX

* but I have 15 FPS

What would be the reason ? 

Am I doing something monumentally stupid ?

(I can upload pics)

1 hour ago, Koen said:

Mysterious: 

* WIN 10: I linked SB to Nvidia RTX

* Nvidia Panel: I linked SB to Nvidia RTX

(and restarted)

* Task Manager: shows that SB runs on GPU-0, that is Nvidia RTX

* but I have 15 FPS

What would be the reason ? 

Am I doing something monumentally stupid ?

(I can upload pics)

Click start and type in Power, open Power & Sleep settings, then additional power settings, then choose High Performance mode or similar.

Open nvidia control panel and post screenshots of your settings.

Thank you all for the good tips.

Indeed it works ... if the charger cable IS plugged in  😵

+ 60 FPS (sometimes + 40 FPS).

BUT if the charger cable is NOT plugged in, it will not use the discrete GPU ...

back to 15 FPS ...

So same as for you, Scrapper_511, 

HP Support Community confirms your advice, stormrider_sp:

Solved: Re: FPS Drops when switching to battery - HP Support Community - 7701264

All laptops will only game at half or less their rating when on battery only. This is absolutely normal.

They do this to conserve battery power and heat, no matter what settings you have in the systems power options.

You can change this to allow the graphics card to perform a little better on battery only by changing the settings in the NVIDIA control panel instead.

NOTE this will still not be as good as gaming on power cord.

HP recommends you always game with the power plugged in. This will prevent your battery from reaching its end of life sooner.

NVIDIA control panel:

• Changing the Global settings > Power Management Mode to Prefer Maximum Performance will force the laptop to always use the NVIDIA card.
  • Or if you use the Program settings tab, you can individually choose what program or game uses full power instead.
Edited by Koen