Someone to import my maps?

stormrider_sp

Hello, hope you're doing all fine. I'd like to try getting some of my maps imported and can't do it myself. Anyone with the latest pro version and some time to play around importing data and trying different things?

I have ready at hand a few polish maps that I made during the past 2 weeks, using top quality vector data and 1m/pixel heightmaps.

Cheers

3 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

Hello, hope you're doing all fine. I'd like to try getting some of my maps imported and can't do it myself. Anyone with the latest pro version and some time to play around importing data and trying different things?

I have ready at hand a few polish maps that I made during the past 2 weeks, using top quality vector data and 1m/pixel heightmaps.

Cheers

How did you do this?

1 hour ago, TSe419E said:

How did you make your maps.

I don't think he did.

I suspect he found the data.

Now he is after someone with a copy of Pro to import the data (and make the terrain map).

Then he'll populate that with buildings, vegetation, roads, water courses, etc.

Edited by Gibsonm

8 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

I don't think he did.

I suspect he found the data.

Now he is after someone with a copy of Pro to import the data (and make the terrain map).

Then he'll populate that with buildings, vegetation, roads, water courses, etc.

Not entirely. Yes, I found the data, right, but I don't need to populate anything. Everything is in there already. And been myself an old SB gold player, I know how to import 8 bit raw format heightmaps, but without shapefile importing capability, it's a waste of time going that way.

More and more, high resolution data is becoming freely available, in particular in Europe. Poland provides it's data for free, albeit behind quite a stiff language barrier and gimmicks. Once you're through and know exactly what you're looking for, it's a matter of collecting that right data, processing with the right free tools and exporting it in the correct format. I spent nearly 1 full week translating technical documents and learning the basic words in polish for likes buildings, roads, lanes, floors, types of wood, churches, chapels and gis nomenclature so that I could access their pages in polish. They have an english version, but understandably, it leads to different data. After collecting everything and testing, I was amazed by the quality of the data. Their vector data for example, is all divided into types of features, and for each layer, they included all sorts of attributes, for example, single family residential buildings with 1 floor, 2 floors, two families, 3 floors, paved roads, 2 lanes, 1 lane, brick roads, gravel roads, dirt roads and trails, types of woods for wooded area, including for example pines, douglas fir, spruce, aspen and so on. After that, what I did was to merge everything and use automation tools to split everything, by attributes, into patterns compatible with SB, for example, coniferous forests, deciduous, paved road 2 lanes, house 1 floor, house, brick, 2 floors, church brick 2 floors, cellphone tower, storage tank and so on. Then I exported everything relevant into their own shps and assigned them with their attributes like road-type, powerline-type, actor-type... I did use some multispectral remote sensing imagery to analyse in order to classify some features, but for these very first few maps, it wasn't really necessary since I intend to simplify and make them all winter maps covered with snow, at first, so things like agricultural land use bushes and ditches are irrelevant. Another thing important is that these maps are meant to be "simulated value" and not "AI fence jumping olympics". It's meant to streamline a workflow with the goal of being efficient and quick, while providing maps that serve the purpose of simulating armored warfare. Things like buildings azimuth* are not much of concern, most of the time. For things that are important, anyone who uses the map, including me, can then modify and improve it under creative commons, their respective AOI (Areas of Interest) at will.

*Buildings vector data are in area type which as I understand, can provide some azimuth information in SB, at least to give it some "variation".

Cheers

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by stormrider_sp

I can probably do some of it for you. As long as you are not in a rush. You would have to group the buildings shape files into categories of SB buildings with maybe some indications of what actual buildings to use. The only bit i couldn't do is import the Lidar data, my internet is terrible and I couldn't deal with downloading and uploading 20gb of data. If I made a base map at 12m resolution maybe DK could import the LIDAR data for you as he has a fast internet connection.

On 4/4/2021 at 12:01 AM, DarkAngel said:

I can probably do some of it for you. As long as you are not in a rush. You would have to group the buildings shape files into categories of SB buildings with maybe some indications of what actual buildings to use. The only bit i couldn't do is import the Lidar data, my internet is terrible and I couldn't deal with downloading and uploading 20gb of data. If I made a base map at 12m resolution maybe DK could import the LIDAR data for you as he has a fast internet connection.

Thank you. I'm in talks with Alfa12, he's going to import it. If you want the source files, I can send you the link. I managed to compress those 20+gb into 4.5Gb total with 7z.

I've not played with importing through SB with buildings as polygons. When I've previously done it it was only point data which was accepted. My own system takes the building polygons and seeks to match the size and aspect ratio of the polygons to a list of building types. 

• Members

Using (primarily) buildings from our object library will allow instancing (which is an important performance optimization). A map that is made all from custom, individial buildings will probably suffer in framerate.

1 hour ago, DarkAngel said:

No farmland, meadows, orchards, industrial areas, commercial areas. There are a lot less buildings than the OSM data has. Not many streams or ditches. No water bodies.

As explained in this post:

I did use some multispectral remote sensing imagery to analyse in order to classify some features, but for these very first few maps, it wasn't really necessary since I intend to simplify and make them all winter maps covered with snow, at first, so things like agricultural land use bushes and ditches are irrelevant. Another thing important is that these maps are meant to be "simulated value" and not "AI fence jumping olympics". It's meant to streamline a workflow with the goal of being efficient and quick, while providing maps that serve the purpose of simulating armored warfare.

The map is a winter map, covered in snow, and no need for generic OSM data since the vector database provided by Poland already has all those. Also, on the AI fence jumping olympics, not all buildings found in the vector database were included. Since I'm exporting buildings as polygons, I want to minimize the amount of overlapping buildings.

BTW, water bodies are there in both polygons and line shapes (2x line width).

spacer.png

spacer.png

52734b8b596a96e61e5d26bb848b.jpeg

Edited by stormrider_sp

10 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

Fair enough but this seems a bad solution. It would be better to make an any season map and then apply themes to it at the mission end.

Fair enough. Don't forget that I'm a lower tier PE user making maps blindly "PBEM" style. Since I can't do it myself, the importing, I can't foresee the results. Once I have the map and can start evaluating what's right and what's wrong, I can then attempt to create new ones with less simplifications.

Your best bet with a map is to start with a generic theme of the type of map you want ( Woodland, desert, tropical, arid etc). Then to tailor the theme to how you want the base map to look. Then if you want things like "Winter", "Autumn", "Summer" etc themes for it create those based on the base theme and upload the themes with the map.