Any idea’s for a map that resembles this terrain ?

Koen

Hi,

Any idea’s for a map that resembles the terrain in the picture below ?

It’s from a John Antal book.

I’ll check the mapslibrary myself, but if by chance anyone has inspiration that would be helpful,

THX !

DD42371F-FC2A-46D3-A2DC-6E8AC8F1CE67.jpeg

Well in the book it’s desert 🌵 (“The Valley of Tears”).

Given Antal’s function at the NTC at that time (XO, 1st Bat, 63rd Armor - OPFOR) I was hoping it’d be a real location @ NTC.

I suspect more and more however, that it’s a fictional location, as I can’t recognise those hills on the NTC-map.

Checking the other maps now, for an alternative. Golan is a 1st possibility.

1 hour ago, Koen said:

Well in the book it’s desert 🌵 (“The Valley of Tears”).

Given Antal’s function at the NTC at that time (XO, 1st Bat, 63rd Armor - OPFOR) I was hoping it’d be a real location @ NTC.

I suspect more and more however, that it’s a fictional location, as I can’t recognise those hills on the NTC-map.

Checking the other maps now, for an alternative. Golan is a 1st possibility.

If you really want a terrain that matches the one on the picture and you cant find something similar in the NTC map, I'd recommend that you download the pro version of L3DT (which is now free) and try to draw the heightmap manually, export to ASC and ask someone to import it for you.

http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/

Cheers

20 minutes ago, Mirzayev said:

Just for fun (while on the subject):

A view of the Whale Gap in Steel Beasts:

SS_13_53_25.thumb.jpg.7314392b54a1e2534396137849028a07.jpg

A view of the Whale Gap in real life:

1845646163_WhaleGap.thumb.jpg.1fb80a3d9b8e7e6353829e2d8a419ef6.jpg

Nice...

Got to check my Bergen Pictures and see If I can do the same there 😉

13 hours ago, stormrider_sp said:

If you really want a terrain that matches the one on the picture and you cant find something similar in the NTC map, I'd recommend that you download the pro version of L3DT (which is now free) and try to draw the heightmap manually, export to ASC and ask someone to import it for you.

http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/

Cheers

Interesting, thx !

(but above my skills & timebudget)

I drew up a crude map in GIMP, gave it some erosion with Wilbur and then imported it into SB as an 8 bit raw image, SB1 style. The map is "unpublished" so you can edit the actual terrain and theme however you like, I just tossed in some different terrain for the hills so it wasn't all the same scrubland. The grid lines are offset a bit and the altitude is way lower as the old maps are only 0-100m, but the relative heights shouldn't be terribly far off.

koen_map.thumb.jpg.f6d9180a2e4ed232d2857c0d7ea20b6f.jpg 

Map 4 - Koen.7z

Edited by Rotareneg

I roughly sketched out the hills and wadi in GIMP and saved as a greyscale .png, loaded that into Wilbur to do various terrain processing things, exported it as an 8 bit .bmp height map file, loaded that back into GIMP, flipped it vertically (for some reason SB1 maps are flipped on the N-S axis) adjusted the levels to get the elevations roughly where they need to be, saved that as a raw file and then used a hex editor to add the width and height to to beginning of the file, renamed the file extention to .hgt, put it on the maps folder where the old style maps are stored (not the new 4.1 style maps,) and then used the import .hgt function in the map editor.

Edited by Rotareneg

14 hours ago, Rotareneg said:

I drew up a crude map in GIMP, gave it some erosion with Wilbur and then imported it into SB as an 8 bit raw image, SB1 style. The map is "unpublished" so you can edit the actual terrain and theme however you like, I just tossed in some different terrain for the hills so it wasn't all the same scrubland. The grid lines are offset a bit and the altitude is way lower as the old maps are only 0-100m, but the relative heights shouldn't be terribly far off.

koen_map.thumb.jpg.f6d9180a2e4ed232d2857c0d7ea20b6f.jpg 

Map 4 - Koen.7z 386.77 kB · 2 downloads

That's magnificent !

Thank you very much, @Rotareneg

And now I have NO excuse anymore not to make this scenario 😄

It will be the first tactical excercise from John Antal's "Armor Attacks - The Tank Platoon"

Still pondering if I turn it into a mini-operation or not.

Actually the second tactical  excercise from the same book is now available in the Downloads as well.

BUT there currently is still a problem with the map (download not possible). Sean is kindly looking into this with eSim.

Maps are still a bit of Rocket Science for me, I'm afraid.

I'll have questions ...

For starters: can I make the wadi much deeper ?

To the point that it's walls are almost like a canal, so no escape for any silly tank commander that would have decided to drive into into it ... 😉

(if not possible, then so be it, I can cut out that branch from the story)

Thx again !

13 minutes ago, Koen said:

can I make the wadi much deeper ?

To the point that it's walls are almost like a canal, so no escape for any silly tank commander that would have decided to drive into into it

Making the wadi 2 pixels wide (or wider) will usually result in this. Also modifying the traction and drag properties of the wadi terrain type in the theme editor (within the map editor) can make terrain very difficult/impassable.

Or using a tank ditch might be more suitable.

Edited by Bond_Villian