Base maps and deltas?

stormrider_sp

• Members

By definition, that's impossible.

A published base map cannot be edited.

An unpublished map package can't be saved as a delta map, unless it was derived from an (already published) base map package.

Also, your question is the perfect illustration why we had to introduce "published" vs. "unpublished" when adding differential maps as an option to conserve disk space.

Just now, Ssnake said:

I suppose so. Haven't tried it myself.

I'd like to have 2 versions of the same map, winter and summer/autumn/spring. Ditches (streams) in SB are not covered with snow like minor roads, so I'd like to have a winter base map with only one terrain detail (grass = snow) and no streams, and a delta map for the other seasons. So the only way to go without doing the same things twice for both variants is to first finish the base map (winter) and creating a new delta/new base map and importing the rest of the shapefiles.

What are the pros and cons of using the save as new delta versus the save as new base?

Cheers

• Members

Save as new base costs vastly more disk space (maybe not in absolute numbers, what's a gigabyte these days?, but in direct comparison its orders of magnitude). There are, technically, edge cases where this wouldn't be the case (e.g. if the map is perfectly flat) but in practice that is of no relevance. Just open a random map package with Delta subdirectories and compare the file sizes between them, and what's in the folder one level up where the base map is.