Map packages and subsequent revisions

Gibsonm

Now that map packages are being hosted in various places and indeed updates to those packages being posted, will the Map Transfer Tool recognise that the version on the server may well be newer than the version on a player's machine and offer to update it?

Or will the player need to re-download updates as required and presumably replace existing map packages?

I suspect the option to update (as opposed to an automatic system) might be useful if say the map author makes a fundamental change that the player may not wish to adopt - or perhaps the update becomes a "delta", since presumably they are minor changes to the underlying package?

9 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Now that map packages are being hosted in various places and indeed updates to those packages being posted, will the Map Transfer Tool recognise that the version on the server may well be newer than the version on a player's machine and offer to update it?

Or will the player need to re-download updates as required and presumably replace existing map packages?

I suspect the option to update (as opposed to an automatic system) might be useful if say the map author makes a fundamental change that the player may not wish to adopt - or perhaps the update becomes a "delta", since presumably they are minor changes to the underlying package?

That's the thing I think. It's not possible to update a published map. A delta or a "new base" are the de-facto updates.

Edited by stormrider_sp