Repeating Triggers

Striker

• Members

Nevertheless, a Penalty Zone might indeed be the solution; it would probably require the inverse logic. You wouldn't check for the player leaving an area, but instead detect that he's endtering a region he isn't supposed to go. In which case a message will appear in his 3D view that he is in a penalty zone and should leave it within the next 30 seconds. If not, from then on every 30 seconds a penalty will be applied. That can be a very light penalty with a very low likelihood if it's intended as a very gentle reminder, or insta-death with 100% likelihood after 30 seconds (and a lot in between those extremes).

If you are trying to achieve a zone that gives a message every time there is/isnt a unit within it, then you will need to use layered EVENTS for these messages.

Example:

1) CONDITION  that checks (continuously) if unit 1/A is in region "AREA" , called "AREA CHECK"

2) EVENT that is watching/waiting for "AREA CHECK"  condition to be true. You could call this "AREA CHECK MSG 1".  This EVENT can have text and audio message for the players.

3) Another EVENT called "AREA CHECK MSG 2" This event is the same, with the addition of checking that event "AREA CHECK MSG 1" is true.

You can 'que' multiple event messages for zones etc in this way, referencing the previous one as a requirement for the occurance of the next...

Ill do a video later!

4 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Nevertheless, a Penalty Zone might indeed be the solution; it would probably require the inverse logic. You wouldn't check for the player leaving an area, but instead detect that he's endtering a region he isn't supposed to go. In which case a message will appear in his 3D view that he is in a penalty zone and should leave it within the next 30 seconds. If not, from then on every 30 seconds a penalty will be applied. That can be a very light penalty with a very low likelihood if it's intended as a very gentle reminder, or insta-death with 100% likelihood after 30 seconds (and a lot in between those extremes).

OK, so on a penalty zone, there's no way to get a message is there? I guess I could play around with that but I don't see any options to do that in the editor.

3 hours ago, Bond_Villian said:

If you are trying to achieve a zone that gives a message every time there is/isnt a unit within it, then you will need to use layered EVENTS for these messages.

Example:

1) CONDITION  that checks (continuously) if unit 1/A is in region "AREA" , called "AREA CHECK"

2) EVENT that is watching/waiting for "AREA CHECK"  condition to be true. You could call this "AREA CHECK MSG 1".  This EVENT can have text and audio message for the players.

3) Another EVENT called "AREA CHECK MSG 2" This event is the same, with the addition of checking that event "AREA CHECK MSG 1" is true.

You can 'que' multiple event messages for zones etc in this way, referencing the previous one as a requirement for the occurance of the next...

Ill do a video later!

I actually like this as a solution. I could do exactly what you say by making them if 1 is true, the 2 can be true, then 3 and so on and so on. No need to do a video for me. I understand the concept. I could do a bunch of them and hopefully the person doing the mission gets the point before they run out of messages.

By the way, I'm really sorry that my communication has been so bad on this. I didn't mean to turn it into a struggle to understand what I was trying to achieve. And I have played around with different options but was running out of patience on it. I've owned every copy of SB since the very original one and I still have the boxed version that I bought from Micro Center in 2000. I found that my M1 Abrams Campaign that I designed has a lot of event and condition problems because there have been a lot of major changes in the simulation so a lot of stuff is broken. I'm trying to fix them so I can post the update. I haven't used the editor for quite awhile so I basically have to learn it all over again.

18 hours ago, Striker said:

I've owned every copy of SB since the very original one and I still have the boxed version that I bought from Micro Center in 2000. I found that my M1 Abrams Campaign that I designed has a lot of event and condition problems because there have been a lot of major changes in the simulation so a lot of stuff is broken. I'm trying to fix them so I can post the update. I haven't used the editor for quite awhile so I basically have to learn it all over again.

Great to have such a long term fan around, 2000 !

And thx for updating your campaign, looking forward to playing it.

SB is a rich and interesting tool to create scenario’s ...

Best !

Layering events is about the only way to have a message fire multiple times if someone enters a penalty zone. I put a sample scenario below in which it fires once any friendly vehicle enters the zone.

It is also worth mentioning that in the current version of Steel Beasts the message "You are in a penalty zone!" flashes across your screen in bright red letters. This screenshot was taken in an offline scenario with realism set to "high." If you just want to warn your player that they are in a place where they shouldn't be, the game takes care of that for you. 

SS_17_49_25.thumb.jpg.5a67a18b30efaf6d568bc34b5a0f624b.jpg

Penalty Zone .sce

On 5/4/2021 at 3:45 PM, Koen said:

Great to have such a long term fan around, 2000 !

And thx for updating your campaign, looking forward to playing it.

SB is a rich and interesting tool to create scenario’s ...

Best !

Yeah, thanks! Not sure what happened to them but a lot of stuff probably got deleted on the events from the patching. They were missing a bunch of important things to make the AI work. I'm going through them with a fine tooth comb this time and testing the snot out of them. I'm almost done and should have them ready by the middle of next week. They include a lot of improvements. I've done a lot of work on the grouping, AI pathing, fixed the loadouts, fixed the repair logic, added sounds. After this I should be ready to put them together into an operation. I also removed some units on a couple because the vehicles had changed and the missions were just way too long. There's still one that's more than 2 hours but they're a hell of a lot more playable now but still challenging and follow the story line like they originally did.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still working on fixing some of the problems. I've given up on trying t make the notifications repeatable but that's OK. It's only in some of the missions so if you get outside the zone you'll get ample warning. I also changed the conditions of the penalty. If you are in a penalty zone it causes main gun damage but only a percentage at so many seconds, so you have time to get back into the zone. I felt that dealing a death blow was really too much. Also, I'm just finishing up on testing everything carefully this time. I wan to make sure that all scenarios work under all possible conditions, so sorry it's taking awhile. They got really broken compared to how they were supposed to work so pass it on to delete the old ones. I'll try to have the new ones ready soon. Thanks for the support!

• 1 month later...

I have the missions done and ready to go. Apologies to anyone wanting to try them out. I did the bulk of the work at the end of 2020 and earlier in the year, but I ended up having an illness (not covid) that put me out of the picture for almost 3 months and I couldn't finish them up till now. Thanks to Volcano, I was able to fix the problem I was having with the events on the last two missions and now all is working fine. They're up on the server now. Please PM me if you run any of them and see a problem. I'll be available to fix them when necessary now.

The new missions have a huge amount of updates and fixes, including sound files, and sounds for coming close to penalty zones. I've attached a list detailing some of the fixes but I'll also include it in the mission zip file.

* All of the missions were optimized for path following. I found that there were a lot of routes that were out of alignment so the AI did some weird things, like trying to turn when not necessary, changing speeds, and stopping completely in some cases. Now, all of the AI units will follow the roads smoothly and respect the speeds that were set for them.

* All of the player units and some of the AI units had their ammo updated. I noticed that because of changes to SB, that the ammo selections were set to odd levels. Now, all of the M1's have a good starting ammo setup based on mid 80's and proper fuel. Also, the Mi-24  Hinds have their ammo set to a more realistic setting that limits their Spiral missiles and rockets to what they would have carried at the time.

* All of the scoring has been fixed as best as possible to have it make sense according to the scenario. Also, all of the "Mission Over" parameters have been set so that the mission will conclude properly.

* All penalty zones where set will not result in the destruction of your engine. Instead, the main gun will get degraded slowly and you'll also get one warning that you are approaching the zone so you have time to turn back.

* I split up the routes of the AI enemy on some of the missions because the groups were large enough in some cases for them to get bunched up, they will now come from different directions in some cases but also follow the routes smoothly.

M1ABT Campaign V3 Changes.rtf

Edited by Striker