4.259 Unsure why the log shows exceptions trying to create multiple maps?

Gibsonm

I did some work today with a saved scenario file that had caused some issues in a previous session.

Basically at the end of an earlier session we had saved the file, in order to continue the next week.

Unfortunately, whilst a scenario file was created it, the application crashed to desktop.

This week when trying to load it, it caused the host to crash. We switched to another scenario and continued on.

Today I thought I'd try and "recover" the file.

It successfully opened in the Mission Editor, I could make some small changes (unbogged a vehicle) and I could save it under a new name and it now loads fine, both in offline and network sessions as host.

This part I was surprised about was the reference in the log to several maps:

[10:29:04,071] CGame ERROR: [LOCAL] Exception trying to create delta map package with path 'C:/ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\(hgt)kookvalley2048[valley]v2 [autocreated base]\deltas\AS Desert (edited)\metadata.mrf' (Could not find base map for delta map!)
[10:29:06,721] CGame ERROR: [LOCAL] Exception trying to create delta map package with path 'C:/ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\Schwarmstedt_Bergen_Soltau (2) [autocreated base]\deltas\Schwarmstedt-Bergen-Munster_summer\metadata.mrf' (Could not find base map for delta map!)
[10:29:06,721] CGame ERROR: [LOCAL] Exception trying to verify map package with path 'C:/ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\Sweden Swordsmandk [autocreated base]\metadata.mrf' (Checksum verification failed!)
[10:29:07,202] CGame ERROR: [LOCAL] Exception trying to verify map package with path 'C:/ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\Wolf junk [autocreated base]\metadata.mrf' (Checksum verification failed!)
[10:29:07,202] CGame ERROR: [LOCAL] Exception trying to create delta map package with path 'C:/ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\Wolf [autocreated base]\deltas\Beedenbostel_autosave_2018-07-13_1633\metadata.mrf' (Could not find base map for delta map!)

I've attached the full log below.

I didn't create the mission, but I had assumed it would only check the map package required for the scenario?

DebugLog.txt

Edited by Gibsonm

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Can you run chkdisk /f on your C drive?

Windows 10 doesn't seem to recognise that from "run". Or do I need to start in "safe" mode or similar?

c:\>chkdsk 😄 /f
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Guess I'm restarting ...

Edited by Gibsonm

• Gibsonm changed the title to 4.259 Unsure why the log shows exceptions trying to create multiple maps?

Still there:

20:26:45,362] CGame ERROR: [LOCAL] Exception trying to create delta map package with path 'C:/ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\Schwarmstedt_Bergen_Soltau (2) [autocreated base]\deltas\Schwarmstedt-Bergen-Munster_summer\metadata.mrf' (Could not find base map for delta map!)
[20:26:45,644] CGame ERROR: [LOCAL] Exception trying to verify map package with path 'C:/ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\Sweden Swordsmandk [autocreated base]\metadata.mrf' (Checksum verification failed!)
[20:26:45,909] CGame ERROR: [LOCAL] Exception trying to verify map package with path 'C:/ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\Wolf junk [autocreated base]\metadata.mrf' (Checksum verification failed!)
[20:26:45,981] CGame ERROR: [LOCAL] Exception trying to create delta map package with path 'C:/ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\Wolf [autocreated base]\deltas\Beedenbostel_autosave_2018-07-13_1633\metadata.mrf' (Could not find base map for delta map!)

DebugLog.txt

• Members

These messages are created whenever the application refreshes the list of map packages (this happens at startup, automatically at certain points during runtime, but also if you press the 'Refresh' button in the map package browse dialogue). Basically, a map package is only 'recognized' by SB if the loading code deems that it is complete and uncorrupted (so that the application can forgo checking everywhere maps are touched, as the assumption is that only 'proper' ones get loaded), and these maps fail that check for one reason or other.

So I do not believe they are related to the scenario loading issue at hand. To get rid of these warnings, simply either delete or move the folders references in these messages out of your map package folder

• 'C:/ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\Schwarmstedt_Bergen_Soltau (2) [autocreated base]\deltas\Schwarmstedt-Bergen-Munster_summer\'
  • 'C:/ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\Sweden Swordsmandk [autocreated base]\'
  • C:/ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\Wolf junk [autocreated base]\'
  • 'C:/ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages\Wolf [autocreated base]\deltas\Beedenbostel_autosave_2018-07-13_1633\'

As to WHY these are all corrupted (or 'unloadable', at any rate) I am not sure, we'd have to check them individually (and if they are too large or if you know they're junk, it might be not worth the bother). Might be because SB crashed while saving the map (apologies if that happened, shouldn't obviously) or maybe some beta/interim version, or if you manually moved/copied a delta map and accidentially put them into the wrong base folder, or something else..

9 hours ago, Retro said:

So I do not believe they are related to the scenario loading issue at hand. To get rid of these warnings, simply either delete or move the folders references in these messages out of your map package folder.

Thanks very much. What appeared to me to be a linage between the scenario and as far as I knew unrelated maps, was my concern.

As for the maps themselves, at some point I'll find a "free" day to work out if they need to be removed or not.