A new player, loving sims

NorseViking

Hey ya all. 

A 45 years young NorseViking from Norway here..

Damn, a buddy of mine recommanded this sim to me.. So i thought i check it out. And i pretty fast got totaly sucked in here from some youtube stuff :)   Looking like an awesome Sim.. Not been readying to much about it, just checked a few YouTube vids..  Gonna see a couple more ofc..   But i guess this is for both Coop play, multiplayer online play?? and Solo play, or am i totaly wrong here now.???   

Anyways, i am really thinking about buy in on this.. A month for first to get a feel for it, if it is as cool and good as it looks like, i will go all in, with that codemeter memory stick and stuff :)   

I just wonder, before i start buy licenses and stuff..  Is there stuff i should know about.?? Any traps to fall in.??      I see its an old game.. But still looks damn good though. How realistic is this.?  Do i need a brand new and a beast of a computer to run it.?   

I run a gaming lap top  with Nvidia, Geforce GTX 1050...    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz ...   Sadly only  8 gig Ram. And an old 1 tb Hard Drive (Hope to upgrade to 16 gig if it supports it, and to a 1 tb Ssd Disc when i can afford it, or a 128gb ssd together with the 1 tb old Hard drive).. :)  

I probably gonna have some questions after i get it installed i bet.. But i try not to ask to muvch, i promise :)  

Thx in advance for an respons or some tips :)    ~BornFree~ ~PeaceAndLove~ ~LiveTheDream~   

Viking-bless from Norway

• Members
9 minutes ago, NorseViking said:

A month for first to get a feel for it, if it is as cool and good as it looks like, i will go all in, with that codemeter memory stick

Consider one-year licenses a viable alternative. There is a pinned thread in this forum ("Which license is for me") that describes the relative advantages of either option.

• Members
12 minutes ago, NorseViking said:

How realistic is this.?

As realistic as we can make it, based on publicly available sources, on a desktop PC. There are obvious limits to what you can achieve when the primary interface is a mouse and a keyboard. The user's manual contains a few appendices discussing the fidelity of the underlying models. I have yet to see other simulation games that offer a similar degree of transparency.

• Members
15 minutes ago, NorseViking said:

Do i need a brand new and a beast of a computer to run it.?

Not if you're willing to compromise on the screen resolution and detail level. With a GTX1050, 4K resolutions are right out, obviously. But you might actually get substantially better performance if you were willing to consider a 1280x720 resolution. I happen to disagree with the default settings for terrain detail. I'd reduce the ground clutter to 10...15% to boost the frame rate, and rather have a higher than 50% setting for the terrain geometry slider to reduce "mountain popping". Other than that, the user's manual describes which of the graphics settings usually have the biggest influence.

A lot of the optimizations that we managed to implement since version 4.0 show the biggest performance gains on more powerful cards. The 1050 is right there where it largely can't take advantage of the various optimizations because it's already bottlenecked in other areas. But that doesn't mean that it's unusable, particularly at 720p resolution.

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

As realistic as we can make it, based on publicly available sources, on a desktop PC. There are obvious limits to what you can achieve when the primary interface is a mouse and a keyboard. The user's manual contains a few appendices discussing the fidelity of the underlying models. I have yet to see other simulation games that offer a similar degree of transparency.

Awesome, awesome :) 

I see, i got a Logitech Extreem 3D PRO Joystick(and a Xbox alike controller) good for driving Dirt and such. But the joystick should be the better chooise i guess. Hope that helps a bit.   And i run pretty tough games on this Gaming-Laptop, so i take my chances that it will work out ;)  And dropping, grapichs settings and stuff like that will help i think. Ahh yeah, thx just read the Screen resolutions replay :)  👍          

(Consider one-year licenses a viable alternative). There is a pinned thread in this forum (Which license is for me)..   I will go through that thread asap..    Thx so much for fast response, and helpfull answers :)  Cant wait to get going.. Looks just totally awesome from what i saw on Youtube..    

If i get stuck on something, i might ask a bit more, but will check forums for answers, and check out stuff before i bother u guys here :)   

Looks like as close to war games u can get.. Cant wait to try, got good vibes on this one.

I hate war, are a very peace and love block✌️ But i love ww2 history, Norse History and playing war ;) hehe 👍

Edited by NorseViking

You might find it will run better if you unplug the Xbox so that SB / windows only needs to worry about the joystick as an input.

Also you might want to have a look at:

https://www.steelbeasts.com/sbwiki/index.php?title=Starter_Pack

and

Also there are various "virtual units" (VUs) across various time zones who are usually very accommodating for new players.