Fullscreen Crash

Wicked

Hello all,

Im trying to get SBProPE fullscreen on a RTX 3090. As soon as I switch from windowed to fullscreen, SBProPE crashes in the display menu with a "not responding" in the taskmanager.  I can move the mouse around but cannot switch back to windowed mode. I have to manually log off from computer using taskmanager.  SBProPE does not write a crashdump? Or where can I find this? In windowed mode SBProPE works after I dragged the window to max of my monitor. 

I have reinstalled and downloaded again, twice. Running Windows 10, latest version, all hardware latest drivers. Other games and simulations like DCS World runs great.

I have checked the forum and I found one post of someone who had also a problem with a RTX 3090 card with fullscreen mode. But could not find a solution for it? Any help appreciated,  meanwhile its Windowed mode only ;)

Best regards,

W.

• Members

There should be crashdumps. In the Windows Start Menu | eSim Games | Steel Beasts Pro PE | Troubleshooting you will find a shortcut to the folder where crashdumps would be found (look for SBProPE.... .dmp files). Please zip them send them to me (Ssnake at eSimGames), along with the URL to this thread.

If after switching to fullscreen mode Steel Beasts no longer wants to start properly, the Troubleshooting folder (see above) contains a shortcut to start it in "safe mode".

Finally, at least as a temporary workaround, there's a command line option to start SB Pro in borderless window mode ("--fullscreenwindow"). The user's manual has details.

Thanks Ssnake.   Unfortunately I do not get a crashdump file.  I also tried the shortcut with debug. Again no crashdump file. Made a shotcut with the --fullscreenwindow command added.  That worked but discovered other problems;  my mouse is offset with the visible pointer, mainly in the popup menu's in the editor or ingame. When using the topmenu, mouse works fine, but as soon I get a popup menu in my screen I have to click like half a centimeter above.

I connected the monitor to my "old" PC with a 1080Ti card and everything works fine. Seems it does not like a RTX 3090 card. At least on my system. Its frustrated I dont get a crashdump file to help me and the SBPro team.  Switching back to my old setup for now. 

Best regards,

W.

• Members

Well, from my perspective your case is interesting because we can directly compare two systems. So we can then hope to understand your case better (and solve it). Please get in touch with me, so I can forward your email address to one of the programmers.

@Ssnake;   Im running SBProPE in  fullscreenwindow mode very stable now.  The mouse pointer is working now as it should.  I tuned a few Nvidia settings in the configuration of the Nvidia tool.  Letting the application choose. 

Fullscreen option still crashes when I choose the option in the Display Menu. So I try to figure out some Nvidia settings,  since it worked just fine with the 1080Ti.

Also, is there a max fps setting in SBProPE?  I notice the fps has a max of 63,XX in a simple mission with small map and lowest map details. In other games/simulations I get 100+ fps at times. Just curious....

Edited by Wicked
typo

• Members

Yes, there is a nominal frame rate cap at 60, based on the theory (back in 2003 when the current engine was designed) that big variations in frame rate were more of a nuisance than a cap of the top rate, especially when using frame-rate dependent mouse control in gunnery.

• Members

Please start SB fullscreen again.  When it becomes non-responsive, right click the task in Task Manager and then "Create dump file.".  This should create a dump of the state of SB and hopefully will point us to the problem.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, mrivers said:

Please start SB fullscreen again.  When it becomes non-responsive, right click the task in Task Manager and then "Create dump file.".  This should create a dump of the state of SB and hopefully will point us to the problem.

Thank you.

Everything is working fine now.  I could switch from Windowed to Fullscreen (borderless) without a crash in the display menu. I only let the application choose (Nvidia) settings. But most (Nvidia) settings are pretty high for the "looks".  I will try if I can tweak some more settings and add step by step.

Before when it crashed I could not Alt-Tab to the Taskmanager for some reason.  Even when waiting somewhat longer as it might need time to load. I could only see the preview and could just read "not responding".  I also recently updated Windows 10 wich could have been a problem with some settings? Not sure though.

Anyways,  thank you all for the help and time !  And its amazing to see SBProPE in full glory with high fps!

Best regards,

W.

Been searching the net and I read that more people have problems with a combi of Nvidia/Asus Rog/Nahimic.  Nahimic services are installed with the Realtek Audio.  It (can) cause problems going fullscreen with your system. Advise here was, uninstall Nahimic or disable it. Just adding this info here, it might help in the future for some.