What if someone paid you to play SB?

RedWardancer

Let's say someone who loves this game as much as we all do, won a massive lottery prize.  That person offered you and others in the SB community roughly $50,000 USD to play SB pro as a unit with ranking structure, training days, campaigns operations, single day operations, and so on.  4-8 hours per day, 3-5 days per week for one full year.  You could be an admin, a trainer, a trooper, whatever.  But this person is in charge and runs it almost like a milsim (military simulation) unit as is found in say, Arma 3.  

Just curious to see who'd do this.  I'm in! 

If i were in that position i would just buy a few hundred licenses and give them out on military sim sites like the DCS forum and sim HQ etc

Most people who try out SB enjoy it. Its getting people the purchase it in the first place. 

It seems people want to zoom around in jets rather then rumble along in 60 tons of armor 

They don't know what there missing. LoL

23 hours ago, RedWardancer said:

Let's say someone who loves this game as much as we all do, won a massive lottery prize.  That person offered you and others in the SB community roughly $50,000 USD to play SB pro

This

but

Without this:

as a unit with ranking structure, training days, campaigns operations, single day operations, and so on. 

But this person is in charge and runs it almost like a milsim (military simulation) unit as is found in say, Arma 3.

Sure.

But then you'd probably be employed by either Ssnake and probably working US hours (which are weird as fuck here in the UK or other GMT based Timezones, Portugal etc.) or some Government agency.

Edited by Hedgehog

1 hour ago, RedWardancer said:

A few of you brought up some valid points on crazy people operating milsims.  

The question is this:  what would YOU do to make it work better?  I've played in a few, but never controlled one before.

Just a few comments from my 25yrs of experience with VUs.

1. Be inclusive, not exclusive

2. Allow initiative, accept ideas

3. Have fun / create an environment of fun*

*Understand what "fun" is to the unit/players in your VU. It may vary based on the game and people.

My terrible experiences:

1. Hazing and taunting new players

2. Exclusivity within a certain select group of players who don't accept ideas outside of their own, and don't communicate with the rest of the group.

3. Rules, rules, rules. So many rules that the leadership isn't even sure what the rules are or why they're in place. And rules restrict the group from fully enjoying the game.

6 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

Just a few comments from my 25yrs of experience with VUs.

1. Be inclusive, not exclusive

2. Allow initiative, accept ideas

3. Have fun / create an environment of fun*

*Understand what "fun" is to the unit/players in your VU. It may vary based on the game and people.

My terrible experiences:

1. Hazing and taunting new players

2. Exclusivity within a certain select group of players who don't accept ideas outside of their own, and don't communicate with the rest of the group.

3. Rules, rules, rules. So many rules that the leadership isn't even sure what the rules are or why they're in place. And rules restrict the group from fully enjoying the game.

Following the first 3 points and avoiding the second 3 will not guarantee the VU will work. But not doing so will pretty much 100% make sure it does not...

Will there be decimation for insubordination or cowards'

All joking aside.

You really can not instill discipline on a online unit,

ultimately all soldiers. 

Need the threat of consequences if you don't follow orders.

5 hours ago, Marko said:

You really can not instill discipline on a online unit,

ultimately all soldiers. 

There will always be the possibility of trolls, but ruining the entire session for your group is a big motivator to do better next time. :) 

A VU is inherently NOT a military organization, as much as some would like to think that they are. Communicating with members who aren't performing is preferable to just doling out attempts at 'discipline.' 

24 minutes ago, Mirzayev said:

There will always be the possibility of trolls, but ruining the entire session for your group is a big motivator to do better next time. :) 

A VU is inherently NOT a military organization, as much as some would like to think that they are. Communicating with members who aren't performing is preferable to just doling out attempts at 'discipline.' 

I agree that was my point.

I have run, and been a member of two VU,s.

Co _operation is the key to a good unit. the C/O for a mission is in charge and that's it.

If you disagree with a order (TUFF )discus it after the mission in the AAR.

What i have noticed the better VU,s rotate the role of C/O

I often look at SB MP games on you tube most SB players are very disciplined and adopt the spirit of a real unit by following orders

Sent down the line from the C/O and X/O.

which in most MP is unusual you very rarely hear cover me.

While somebody's trying to be a hero. LoL