Scenario Wishlist thread for experts and veteran players

Ssnake

i am working on a custom map simulating a section of basra province during the iran-iraq war in 1982; i have planned four scenarios to go with it, 2 from each side, one of which includes the player using a single recoilless gun jeep coordinating with iranian infantry to reduce an enemy strongpoint; if the player's alter ego is destroyed in the game, the match ends immediately, the player will not have the currency to simply jump to the next unit; i hope this is an atypical scenario in terms of scope and type to be fresh, it was also an excuse to use this particular vehicle in a scenario because it is obviously bringing different skills and challenges than using armored fighting vehicles; finally, i like the idea of giving the sense that if the player's vehicle is killed, there is no jumping to the next unit, self preservation is just as much the mission as the explicit victory goals.  the map however is going to take time to create, the main obstacle for easy scenario creation is the map design tools; it is possible to create detailed, interesting maps, but the creation process itself is cumbersome and time consuming

On 6/11/2021 at 2:31 AM, Ssnake said:

Why aren't you making some more for the public?

;)

1. Lack of free time

2. And not easy to find an original scenario-idea

3. Creating the actual scenario is great fun ! But also very timeconsuming, especially the testing !

Here’s an idea 💡:

Create scenario’s in a collaborative effort,

in order to reduce the workload

and to increase the quality of the scenario’s

4 ppl work together:

a) the scenariodesigner:

He gives serious thought 💭 to developing an exciting and fresh STORY, a problem that needs to be solved.

He also creates the MAP

Then he passes on story (briefing) and map to:

b) the BLUE scenariobuilder: 

He builds the blue side

But without any knowledge about the red side, except from his briefing 

=> more unpredictable things happening … a kind of MULTIPLE SINGLE PLAYER combination in scenario building 😎

By reducing the workload of the blue scenariobuilder, he can focus on improving the quality and decisions of the blue units !

c) the RED scenariobuilder: 

Same as above

NB often the red side is static in scenario’s, underdeveloped. 
So this would improve the quality

And make scenario’s PLAYABLE from the red side

d) tester !!!!

He tests at various stages, not only at the end.

Cfr. unpredictable things happening

If 4 ppl work together

=> workload gets divided by 4

To top it off:

Yes, a small financial reward would be positive

Maybe actual users of SB (armies) could deliver the story/problem (a) ?

Edited by Koen

3 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

It does open opportunities though.

What if Blue(or Red) has found the boundaries of two adjoining parties?

😎

1 designer for each of the Red (or blue) allied parties?

Anything goes

The other pertinent issue is who coordinates all this?

Very important

=> the scenariodesigner (a) together with the tester (d)

On 6/12/2021 at 12:26 AM, Captain_Colossus said:

the map however is going to take time to create, the main obstacle for easy scenario creation is the map design tools; it is possible to create detailed, interesting maps, but the creation process itself is cumbersome and time consuming

This is part of the reason i havent been making much lately. I really hope that there are plans to optimise the map editor- specifically the way that hgt operations are handled. As it is now, the load and save times on a map with any sort of road levelling or ramping etc are prohibitive (this may also be due in part to my less than bleeding edge PC).

Time and energy are a precious resource for many/most adults, and as much as i enjoy the process of creating scenarios and maps, and get a kick from playing them in MP, the time cost is becoming too high for me lately.

The editors are the bread and butter of this software for me, and i commend the addition of features and improvements that have come down the pipe over the last few years, i really hope to be able to make the most of it one day.

I have several projects going on with marginal progression and equal amount of success (or lack thereof).  

One is a simple airfield defense mission in Banak, Norway.  The defending Norwegians hold off a Russian air assault followed by an airborne dropped mechanized force.  

Another one is a reconnaissance-in-force of a full strength cavalry troop into enemy territory.

The much larger, far more difficult project is a campaign in Ukraine.  The first scenario involves the UA forces launching an all-out offensive to retake the provincial city of Donetsk from the separatists.  Once that's completed, a retaliatory invasion of Russia occurs all over the eastern border.  I have about 10 scenarios in this what-if campaign.  The first two or three involves regiments in size, but I'm inclined to reduce this due to work overload on the system.  

The majority of my projects simply takes existing scenarios and edit them for my personal use.  

1 hour ago, RedWardancer said:

The first two or three involves regiments in size, but I'm inclined to reduce this due to work overload on the system

This could also prove to be too much for the player/s to handle, especially if there is a lot of infantry in urban areas. The risk of  'over-doing' it is very real with SB scenarios....sometimes less is more :)

On 6/11/2021 at 1:31 AM, Ssnake said:

Why aren't you making some more for the public?

;)

Sure, OK, here you go.

(It's big cos it has sound clips in it.)

The basics:

3 (or 4 Sho't Kals, trigger)

4 x M113AS4s (no thermals)

An FO in a VAMTAC "Ferret" with a, uh, "liberated" DShK (cos why not)

Supply trucks, (If you're careful you can get by with a basic load.) Light Aid Detachment (Not that you'll need it much.)

Takes about an hour - hour and a half, if you have daylight left at the end, there's a secondary objective on a trigger.

You need to run it as a multiplayer and pick the "Player Blue" side (sorry, it just kinda evolved that way.) everything else is AI

(I don't know if eSim have a "Magic tool" to rearrange the party order, but that should fix the single issue by putting "player blue" as the 1st party)

And let the units follow their scripted routes to start off with, when you have refuelled/been told to do so, you can go bimbling off to die/victory as per your skill level.

I am hoping @Ssnake will give it a go :)

Hacks/changes to basic SB functions to make it easier less fustrating for the newer player / improve game play ability

1 Tracks take 15min repair but damages the Suspension (Short tracking)

2 Engine repair after 15 mins "I hit with a hammer and it started working again" or something.

3 Fuel leak repairs after 30s (This one and the engine repair are probably the most "Gamey")

4 Radio Repairs after 2s (because thats how you get told what to do / where to go via events which don't work if the radio is broken.)

5 you get "2 extra lives (tm)" Per Tank & PC (You don't have to use them but they are there.)

If you ask for changes, ask nicely or bugger off, this has taken about 400hrs to get ready.

And no, you can't have the Password.

Oh it is 18+ there's a few curse words in the event text. (But we're all adults here, well, most of us are anyway.)

Go nuts.

571012698_OperationMuppetv1.zip