M60 locks gun at maximum elevation with no ballistic computer range data

Captain_Colossus

the m60 appears to have a bug if some combination of the ballistic computer and rangefinder are removed and tries to acquire targets- the gun will raise to full elevation and fire into the sky; if the damage is repaired and the m60 can acquire a target by means of a computer generated solution, then behavior will correct and return to normal, in other words, the crew cannot seem to manually estimate range and will default to shooting into the open sky; the m60 in this state will maneuver and follow orders with its gun raised to full elevation if the player does not manually intervene from the gunner's position, the computer cannot seem to lower the gun otherwise until the damage is repaired.

context: i wanted to approximate an earlier m60A1 without ballistic computer, by some combination of damaging the GPS/LRF/ballistic computer, the behavior appears. i do not believe any other tank is affected.

SS_16_36_29.jpg

SS_16_36_37.jpg

First:  A solution to this is to not damage the ballistic computer or the rangefinder.  If you don't have a rangefinder the ballistic computer won't get used except manually, which is what would happen in real life.  If you don't have a ballistic computer you will still get no ballistic solution and if you are not doing multiplayer it will not be easy to get a range from it to use with the GAS.  Or you could just use the GAS sight.

Second:  M60A1s did have rangefinders and ballistic computers, they were just mechanical/analog rather then digital/solid-state.  

Edited by TSe419E

1 hour ago, TSe419E said:

First:  A solution to this is to not damage the ballistic computer.  Since you don't have a rangefinder it won't get used except manually, which is what would happen in real life.  Or you could just use the GAS sight.

Second:  M60A1s did have rangefinders and ballistic computers, they were just mechanical/analog rather then digital/solid-state.  

1. that isn't a solution. i want to damage the ballistic computer as a deliberate part of the scenario design - and besides, even if i didn't want to do that, suppose the ballistic computer were damaged in the scenario by taking a hit- then the behavior would appear. the whole point of this bug reporting is that the computer won't use the GAS sight once the ballistic computer is gone- the player can, as i said- the player can manually override the behavior from the gunner's position, but if the player is in the commander's position, or in the F8 observer position, or if it is any other m60 under the computer control, then you have a problem where they cannot fire at any target, they will drive around with their guns pointed at the sky. this is a bug. there is no mistake here. if you haven't seen what this doing give it a try to see what i mean- all the m60s will drive around the map with their guns pointing in the air shooting at the sky, the computer will not use the GAS to sight targets

2. that isn't the point that i am making- the point is to degrade the digital ballistic computer to both simulate more primitive equipment and equipment with poorer crews/maintenance schedules spare  parts, etc, (these are supposed to be iranian m60a1s during the iran-iraq war, which didn't always fare so well and were known to get spanked by iraqi t-62s or t-72s

Edited by Captain_Colossus

well, it may just be the ballistic computer, but in this bug, once that happens, they point their guns at the sky and they become nothing more than targets- they will not use the GAS until the damage is repaired. this is what it looks like - if there was a target 100 m direct front, they are going to shoot up at the sky, and they drive around the map with their guns pointed at the air

SS_16_03_55.jpg

• Members

Like I wrote, we have registered it as a bug, and will investigate the case, then decide what remedy is appropriate. I agree that a disable ballistic computer - even if this may be a rare as occurrence in practice - should not result in completely dysfunctional crew behavior, expending all their ammo in salute shots.