Vehicle clipping

iamfritz

Back in my college days, I wrote a Star Trek Battle simulator. I wrote the AI for the Klingons to seek and maneuver to the stern and/or weak shield of the player's ship to try and dispatch him faster. I was also working on a model for the AI in a tank sim project that didn't come to.

I say this because I appreciate the challenges of writing AI behavior.

But sometimes I just.....

323307444_2021-06-14(5).png

• Members

Can you replicate this?

You know the map, the location.

Vehicles should never clip into buildings (except maybe with the gun barrel. Maybe the unit was spawned inside the building?

They should get bumped  out to the nearest edge, but of course if there's another house nearby I wouldn't expect things to work out swimmingly all the time.

5 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Can you replicate this?

You know the map, the location.

Vehicles should never clip into buildings (except maybe with the gun barrel. Maybe the unit was spawned inside the building?

They should get bumped  out to the nearest edge, but of course if there's another house nearby I wouldn't expect things to work out swimmingly all the time.

This happens to me all the time. Every "Thunder Run"-esque mission I run. I'll get the map name (for this particular mission) today and let you know, but this happens to me in almost every town, small or big.

• Moderators

Yes, that's something else that is known - if the AI gets caught up between trees then it can rarely pivot to where the hull is inside the tree trunk (it should be able to get out of it though). IIRC, it has always been that collisions are handled at hull front and rear to save on resources/performance, but this can cause a small collision object (like a tree) to be pivoted into.