4.265 Going after Australian Trees - again :)

Gibsonm

With the comment in the RN on page 14 about "AU Triple Trunk trees" (sorry the PDF is locked so I can't copy/paste the complete section) I thought I'd have another look at how Australian we can make maps.

The Map Object Catalogue certainly lists them:

1840850927_ObjectLibrary.thumb.png.c2fbdf8ddcdc227c4cb8a31b284ca131.png

But I am still none the wiser as to how to use them.

The list of Woods objects don't list 131 - 138:

SS_11_23_10.thumb.jpg.55569bc7cc923cde3b79ffc0312d1204.jpg

Am I supposed to use "Edit Object Palette" to say replace #8 "Oak 2" with "Gum Tree 1, AU" to get it in the list for "Woods"?:

SS_11_27_22.thumb.jpg.c12a3bf72a38dd0b7489c20abb53af26.jpg

Similarly how do I add 131 - 138 to the list of options under the individual "Tree" menu?

Lastly I understand that once I update the theme for Desert Coniferous (in this example) that all the tress will change, but what happens to the individual trees placed with the "Tree" tool?

Edited by Gibsonm

• Members
6 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Am I supposed to use "Edit Object Palette" to say replace #8 "Oak 2" with "Gum Tree 1, AU" to get it in the list for "Woods"?:

In essence: Yes.

We have more land objects available than the data structures for the tile map allow us to use simultaneously on any given map. Therefore you'd have to build your own palette of objects you'd like to have in your theme. Eventually we'll get around to make a tutorial video for this.

On 6/20/2021 at 5:52 PM, Ssnake said:

In essence: Yes.

We have more land objects available than the data structures for the tile map allow us to use simultaneously on any given map. Therefore you'd have to build your own palette of objects you'd like to have in your theme. Eventually we'll get around to make a tutorial video for this.

OK so that replaces the regions that are currently some other tree type.

Going on from that if someone had used "Oak 2" for individual tress they would be replaced by "Gum Tree 1, AU"?

But apart from looking in the 3D world how do I easily determine which tree type all these individual green pixels are? I sincerely hope its not a case of delete old tree, click to create new tree?

The other one I'd love is the ability to know which theme has been used per map - yes you can export them but you need to create you own name, I don't see an "Info" option under the Theme menu (that may or may not be possible).

• Members
35 minutes ago, Gibsonm said:

But apart from looking in the 3D world how do I easily determine which tree type all these individual green pixels are? I sincerely hope its not a case of delete old tree, click to create new tree?

I think the map editor opens a 3D preview window with Alt+F1 or so, so you can navigate to a location and paint over an unliked tree with one of your choosing. But we may be talking past each other. If you want to convert an entire map and you don't want to limit the conversion to forest tiles, one thing that you COULD try is to look at the original theme and see which object has which palette index number, then build a palette that replaces the trees by putting your desired ones into the exact same palette index position.

Alternative, use the big eraser tool and then the tree spray can where you pick the desired tree types with Ctrl+Click and then spray them on again. Those are the ideas I can come up with right now. Maybe there are more ways, I'll check with the team. But please clarify the exact nature of what you want to accomplish.

• Moderators

Maybe I can help here...

In the palette editor, choose the object number in the drop down list that you want to replace (lets say #12 "Tree 5 -Austrian Pine" in your image). The Palette Index is essentially the number of objects allowed in the current "palette" (54). So, only 54 different objects can be present in a theme at the moment, so things must be swapped out if others are desired.

Once you have the Palette Index # (12) selected you want to replace, then to the right in the Object Type drop down, select the object you want to replace it with, then press Apply. When finished press OK.

Yes, it isn't always obvious which object is what, and it might take a bit of trial and error experimenting, though. But it should be pretty obvious based on the object shown in the little 3D preview window.

Other examples (in your case) would be to swap out all the Eucalyptus, tropical trees with the AU versions.

-----------------------

From this point you can do a couple of things:

1. Save the map, and the palette will be saved into the map's theme. So, whenever you open that map again, the palette and theme will have all the changes you made.

2. You may choose also to save the theme file, this way you can load the theme onto another map which will have all the different objects you have set. The palette objects are saved to the theme. So in this way, there could be (for example) an arid theme for say, Africa, with Acacia trees, and the very same arid theme for some other region, like Australia.