Does loader say "Up" too early?

Lumituisku

In real life there is no way  for the loader to know, if  gun, after chambering a fresh round, is actually ready to fire or not. E.g., as a rule of the thumb, he announces 'Up!"( or 'Ready!') when he  cleared recoil path, disengaged safety and bustle door( if present) is closed; this has nothing to do with gun  being back in coincidence with  GPS LOS.

• Lumituisku changed the title to Does loader say "Up" too early?
  • Members

On the Leopard, the loader would also press the "Arm"button to enable the firing circuit. Wouldn't be surprised if the audio cue is being played immediately as the cartridge is inserted (in zero time...).

Then again, you can have overly eager loaders in real life too.

I started to think... That as you hear on video there is significant delay that is probably caused by network synch issues. And that in this case that delay makes difference to a thing that on normal circumstances wouldn't have been noticed. 

Normally difference between loader saying up and when gun is released would have made no practical difference at all so it probably was easiest to code it to moment when round was chambered. 

However this is a military sim, isn't this? I have heart many times mention of why things are something because of safety procedures of doing things right. 

But as we can hear on video... Network latency can cause this to sound that loader is saying up, before safety is released.

-

And this isn't only thing... There are so many small things Adding to que.. as on topic "bouncing hatches, ramps, and hammerhead" illustrates. Also .. previously months ago I wrote about how i as server cannot rely on seeing same as gunner does when he is firing on target. 

All i hope that future writing of code will be made more rugged and network latency tolerable. Even if things would behave more slowly because of latency.

Perhaps network latency that makes things happen more slowly could be thought as battle fatigue or similar

Perhaps not every customer can have their crew training happen in same place or same country. Because specialization for... Drones maybe or radars?  Maybe there will come new COVID-19 like situation to world where having crews training together would be difficult.

Or some other limitation... Because our world is constantly changing. Climate, politics, nature of availability of what we currently may take granted. 

I have high faith to you guys! 

Edited by Lumituisku

• Members

That's another option of course, but probably ties up more of the vehicle commander's attention. Loading is something you have to do only after you started an engagement, and which point the gunner porobably doesn't need much guidance (depending on the type of engagement, of course). Outside of engagements, I'd prefer the commander to lead the vehicle from above hatch, with binoculars.