Conflicting Call Signs?

BadgerDog

Two questions....

1.  I'm having an issue with my first scenario where I can't seem to get an ATGM to fire with the "computer" set as the control.  I think it has something to do with the LOGIC flow as the "debugger" shows the screen below.  I've looked everywhere and I can't find where I have TWO call signs the same, which I believe that's what the error message is saying?  I don't understand the "-8" number after the "05" number".  How do I solve this conflict?

2. I'm still having challenges understanding the call sign methodology and system used by SB.  Can some educate me with the pic below and tell me if I'm correct in assuming the number on the left side of the unit icon is the COMPANY formation and the number on the right side is the PLATOON formation?

Thanks for any feedback ...

SBProPE64cm_mdSmX9XYlc.png

SBProPE64cm_u36UcfAqxC.png

Edited by BadgerDog

• Members

I can't comment on the specifics right now, but note that "unit ID" and "callsign" are different things. Ideally the callsigns woul be unambiguous, but it's POSSIBLE to mess with the callsign settings to create multiple units with identical callsigns. That is still a user interface nightmare for humans and should be avoided, of course.

"Unit IDs" on the other hand are truly unique identifiers (at least we thought so, until we found that bug), so legacy scenarios where the bug was not yet discovered can have the unit IDs messed up, and that REALLY is a problem because if a unit gets hit, the duplicate ID unit could take the damage even if a hundred kilometers away.

I'm bringing this up to explain the difference between callsign "labels" and what's actually in the can.

1 hour ago, Lumituisku said:

Could it be that there is blue vehicle that is carrying a missile team of that call sign?  That dublicade callsign warning seems to apply to blue side btw. 

No... thanks anyway ..

1.  The error message is the same whether it says BLUE or RED in the drop down boax.

2.  BLUE has no missile teams at this point.

1 hour ago, BadgerDog said:

I don't understand the "-8" number after the "05" number". 

Ok, if the unit ID can be different from a call sign, how to I locate unit ID's instead of what is showing on the mission editor screen? How do I solve this conflict?

... and where is unit 05/-8?

3 hours ago, BadgerDog said:

I'm having an issue with my first scenario where I can't seem to get an ATGM to fire with the "computer" set as the control. 

I solved the first problem.  There must ba a bug somewhere, but I have a workaround that has me back to creating my scenario.

If I set the unit quality to anything EXCEPT Elite or Regular, the infantry computer ATGM unit does not fire, even if the enemy AFV is sitting 100 yards in front of them.

I had my "quality" setting as Militia to match my there RED forces and the unit wouldn't fire.  It also wouldn't fire on Conscript or Untrained.

I still haven't figured out why I have a conflict with the Unit ID's, but that might be out of my control.  This is a brand new scenario (my first) and not a legacy one.

I will keep plugging away developing it and ask questions here, if I may?

Edited by BadgerDog

22 hours ago, BadgerDog said:

If I set the unit quality to anything EXCEPT Elite or Regular, the infantry computer ATGM unit does not fire, even if the enemy AFV is sitting 100 yards in front of them.

I will keep plugging away developing it and ask questions here, if I may?

One factor that may influence this (I don't see the type of ATGM mentioned) but some versions have a minimal range (to reflect the "rather" part of the flight path.

e.g. In real life, the AT-3 has an effective range of 300m - 3,000m because from 0m to 300m the operator is trying to get the missile under control.

I can't recall off hand if these minimal ranges are reflected in the AI's behaviour (i.e. the AI refuses to fire if inside the range envelope as its a waste of a missile) or not.

Certainly there currently is no white segment in the coloured range arc to reflect minimum engagement ranges:

SS_05_53_42.thumb.jpg.2759a38189bbce648e825c1f1687302b.jpg

Also be aware that some ATGMs (and indeed other anti armour weapons) will not fire if located inside a building or similar.

I know Canadians are a hardy bunch but I suspect you may have been taught a while ago not to fire the 84mm Carl Gustav from within a bunker or a building.

If the ATGM is in a bunker (like the FO screenshot above) that may also result in a desire not to give themselves concussion, let alone the signature revealing their position, to an enemy AFV 100m away. ;)

Edited by Gibsonm
typo

Hi Mark .. 🙂

Thanks for responding. 👍

1.  No bunker... that was just a FOO unit that was on the screen I used for expanding the drop down box sequence.

2.  AT4/AT5 Spigot

3.  I don't think range is a factor here. (see pic)

4.  Straight line to clearly visible target (I'm able to use Militia, Conscript and Untrained) in manual mode to engage same target.

5.  I've sent scenario to Nils to see what his team think I may be doing wrong.

BTW, notice how much I've learned from you in our training sessions.  I'm actually enjoying this side of SB a lot, thanks to your patience with this old geezer. 😁

SBProPE64cm_z0P1Rzsctq.png

Edited by BadgerDog