lock up on full screen setting???

Magnum50

Just got a new Alienware PC a couple of days ago, after setting it all up the first game I installed was SB Pro PE... I started it, it runs fine, I go into the settings and change it from window to full screen with the native resolution of my monitor, 1920x1080x32... it goes into full screen mode then stops there. The mouse still moves, but can't click OK, back or anything... can't close it via Alt F4, nor Ctrl Alt Delete either... have to do a hard reboot. Same thing, even after a uninstall then re-install. Game runs in window, but can't get full screen.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

• Members

In such a situation, the first step should be to hit Alt+Wto force a return to the windowed mode. Sometimes, after that switching to fullscreen again works (but no guarantees).

(If you're wondering why we can fix this after all those years - you can't run the debugger if the application is in fullscreen mode.)

If it simply refuses to work, I can but recommend to use the command line parameter --fullscreenswindow as a substitute (borderless windowed mode).

8 hours ago, Magnum50 said:

Thanks... not trying to play at 4K or on a HDTV, it's a PC with a PC monitor at 1920x1080x32.

Will try Ssnakes recommendation.

The scaling problem has nothing to do with what your playing it on only that you have a big screen i run it at 3840x1080 no problems at all unless my scaling is anything other then 100 %

And its just right clicking on the desktop and scrolling with the scroll wheel until its at 100 % so fairly easy to fix

MD

• Members

I suppose it's another topic for a mini tutorial video.

Create a duplicate of the Steel Beasts shortcut on your desktop or other preferred location (still possible under Win 10, but made needlessly complicated).

Right-click, Properties, go to the "Target" line. AFTER the last quotation mark in the path line for the Steel Beasts executable add a space, a double dash, then fullscreenwindow.

In the "General" tab you may want to change the text description for the shortcut. Also, you can pick a different combat vehicle for the icon to make it more distinguishable.

OK, thanks Ssnake... guess I can live playing it in a forced window... still wish I could get it into a proper full screen with no task bar. or at least know why or what is causing this. Still works fullscreen on my laptop. ;) 

Just to share, I made a small video of the problem, locking up on trying to go full screen... will delete it in a day or two, just in case someone wants to try and fiquer it out.

Thanks again...