Target "tagging" and gunner awareness

Lumituisku

38 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

That it does already. He may at time still not be able to engage, but he and your wingmen would be made aware of it.

??? Oookay, here's something odd. As i purposefully tried to use this feature today exactly like that... And wasn't able to make my gunner aware of target that for sure was partially visible to him. 

Case 1 - Naturally he is pretty good at spotting for targets in his search cone. So i had to purposefully turn my tank to face away from target. And then to use tag function. He didn't become aware of target when i tagged it.  He didn't come aware of target before I designated it with periscope. 

Case 2 target was danger close on gunners search area but on low grounds. Gunner was scanning on hill top. I tagged target. He didn't come aware of it before I told him to scan front. 

I suppose... More testing would be okay.... But there is something funny here especially when trying to designate to your own gunner.

I say that because other units seemed to come aware and start to Engage designated targets even when there was barely any line of sight. : /

Question.  I remember having read something of sort that I should press both  ctrl  and shift?   But pressing shift alone marks target? Is it necessary for designation to press both or is Shift enough?  Because pressing ctrl  makes tank assume waypoint on that location.  

1) Feature actually works, when it comes to its original purpose-  spot reports for the user's party.  This is very easy to see, if player's  vehicle is  set  blind.

2) You need to press both SHIFT and CTRL (or whatever key or button is assigned to fire LRF). Easiest way to do that- bring target in to your binoculars view,  so yellow crosshair will be on target. Then press and hold SHIFT( yellow  will turn red), and  while  it still pressed,  briefly tap CTRL.

3) This works in  F8 and F7 eye and binocular views, but not in  CWS, PANO or whatever sight view

4) This does not tell your AI GNR to look or shoot at target detected by you. So it cannot be used reliably  for fire control,  e.g. if gunner is attracted by something else, he will ignore this new target, until you directly designate target (by slewing turret/gun)  or  give order to traverse turret. Same applies to unit of several vehicles, but there is not so much options to actually control section/platoon fires in SB, especially in 3D views. 

4 minutes ago, Lumituisku said:

What's the actual difference with just pressing shift... And pressing both? 

SHIFT alone in context of this particular feature does nothing- note message saying 'Lase to mark position' , which shows up if SHIFT is pressed.

1 hour ago, Ssnake said:

Shift is but a key modifier, in this case to "tag" rather than to designate a travel waypoint for the driver. So hold Shift, hold Ctrl, steer the blinking red mark on the target, release Ctrl.

2 hours ago, Jartsev said:

SHIFT alone in context of this particular feature does nothing- note message saying 'Lase to mark position' , which shows up if SHIFT is pressed.

There is something weird here..  it doesn't work like that for me.    For me it is enough to press shift alone to mark targets    and Shift + ctrl  doesn't seem to do anything compared to just pressing shift alone..  o.O   and i am using default settings.

Also sometimes it just doesn't work at all (to rear? Or maybe because red side is behind password?).  Even when target is clearly visible and no trees are nearby blocking view with ghost branches.  

Edited by Lumituisku

There is something really funny here...  Sometimes..  It is as if I cannot spot targets with tag function (not in any way even when it is clearly visible).  

and then ...  something spots targets that even I haven't or my gunner has not spotted?   

1511745338_Screenshot2021-07-09195934.png.7a1fecf46c0e578e08864305be3b750f.png  I spotted 2 tanks, my tank is facing north..   my gunner hasn't reported anything..  but something spotted those 2 pcs.   

Also in past when doing multicrew.. we have witnessed our tank..  even when fully manned..  spotting enemies from really long distances away (on regular basis hence we switched to use blind vehicles).      Anyways.. my point is..  it is as if..  there is i don't know..  something really funny here.  

How comes I cannot tag targets (in any way) and sometimes those get spotted even when I haven't spotted those as commander, and my crew hasn't reported or reacted to those.  o.O 

And what bugs me is that well.. as I said earlier on whislist. Id wish that tagging target would make MY gunner aware of it, but it clearly  isn't so. 

Then again.. I suppose I appreciate that even when targets are tagged... and marked.. those are not always reacted to because of how the spotting system and "Hive mind" works.  Can't help but to think that this is yet one more shortcoming of the spotting system and "hive mind"

Could it be that Tagging targets is not possible to some direction / orientation of vehicle because... of something invisible in vehicle somehow blocks it? 

Well, AI detects targets, because aside of you  and AI-controlled gunner, depending of vehicle type and model, there are also AI-controlled loader, AI-controlled driver and AI-controlled dismounts present. Then, if you are multi-crewing, then  very likely in most cases there are still some positions left unmanned- usually  loader and the driver(and in real life they would report whatever they are able to see). Then finally, since very beginning of SB,  even if all available positions are manned by human users, then this still does not fully supress detection routines by AI (this one of the  reasons why there is an optional 'Blind' status available).

I use shift + right click. It works fine for me.

You aren't "calling out" the target to your gunner, but rather sending something similar like a SPOT report with it. Your gunner (and the rest of the AI on your team) WILL pay particular attention to the area in question. 

I do this a lot when playing recon on Kanium sessions. Even though we play with map updates off, the AI gunners still "know" that the "report" was sent and start searching that particular area with more interest.