ben scenarios release thread

ben

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Great work on these. I've been making missions for myself in Arma for over a decade now and finally jumped into SB, so naturally the first thing I did was learn the editor.

I saw Smash and Crush played on Revenant's YT channel and decided to DL it just to try it, and now I'm playing through the whole pack in order. Going to keep me busy for a while and I'm definitely going to open them up and study them.

A lot of these kind of sims suffer from a lack of reasonable content that has turned me away from most of them but these really add value to SB IMO. I like how they don't have a crazy amount of gimmicks like AI scripting or anything and you can control all of the units. Many of the missions released for flight simulations particularly are a bit too "story based" or "Hollywood-y" for my taste. These feel more like training scenarios. The balance is also reasonable, although I think a lot of people new to sim type games could find them very challenging, but for the long run this is better. They're not unrealistically difficult though, as many sim missions tend to be when they lean more on the game side and pit a platoon against a battalion.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you been making scenarios for SB and sims in general?

@Arch  Thanks man glad you’re enjoying them!

I agree about storyish missions. I prefer to build a sandbox that feels authentic and give player a job to do and some tools to use.  Players can use their imagination to form a story/big picture for a scenario probably better than I could anyway.

I’ve been making SB content for myself since SBpro was released 18 or whatever years ago and I guess releasing them here since about six years ago.  Used to do Arma2/3 missions and scripting a few years back too.

You’re right SB content is limited, and not many active scenario creators, so please release your stuff at whatever level of quality/polish it’s at!

Happy to help with tips or testing stuff if you want.

11 hours ago, ben said:

@Arch  Thanks man glad you’re enjoying them!

I agree about storyish missions. I prefer to build a sandbox that feels authentic and give player a job to do and some tools to use.  Players can use their imagination to form a story/big picture for a scenario probably better than I could anyway.

I’ve been making SB content for myself since SBpro was released 18 or whatever years ago and I guess releasing them here since about six years ago.  Used to do Arma2/3 missions and scripting a few years back too.

You’re right SB content is limited, and not many active scenario creators, so please release your stuff at whatever level of quality/polish it’s at!

Happy to help with tips or testing stuff if you want.

And I thought I was a veteran. You have almost double time on me.

I've been working on some unit templates for myself (No NVA Motorisierte Schützenbataillon templates? Really?) and some accurate-ish callsigns for OPFOR which I will probably release later and most likely use in some scenarios. I like the mid Cold War so I'm going for that kind of stuff.

I have nothing too interesting made currently, just some arcadey scenarios for doing some gunnery with a friend basically, but I will probably release something, I like this sim the more I try it which is usually the opposite trend for most. Thanks for the offer for feedback and testing and I'll make sure to drop a file your way once I do make something nice.

3 hours ago, Arch said:

And I thought I was a veteran. You have almost double time on me.

I've been working on some unit templates for myself (No NVA Motorisierte Schützenbataillon templates? Really?) and some accurate-ish callsigns for OPFOR which I will probably release later and most likely use in some scenarios. I like the mid Cold War so I'm going for that kind of stuff.

I have nothing too interesting made currently, just some arcadey scenarios for doing some gunnery with a friend basically, but I will probably release something, I like this sim the more I try it which is usually the opposite trend for most. Thanks for the offer for feedback and testing and I'll make sure to drop a file your way once I do make something nice.

Here you go...

NewTemplate MSR-9.7z

NVA MSR 9 Callsigns.7z

Edited by TSe419E
Errors in callsign templates!!!

I approached it a bit differently. Here's a SPW Bn. Probably tons of inaccuracies (Probably mostly in the ranks), but either way, I find this very readable and most of it shoooouuuld be okay. Have to be very creative with naming. EDIT: No I do not know why 3rd platoon in 1 Pz. K is 03. Probably gotta look into that.

MSB_SPW_CALL.thumb.PNG.d51ba0eb0d2e781a094d29f25a14a959.PNG

Apologies for offtopic.

Edited by Arch

3 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

"Aufklärer" are the people who do the "Aufklären", as a teensy-weensy niggle.

I don't know what they call it, but I went for "Reconnoitering" and not "Reconnoiterer" :D. I can correct it if incorrect; should really find some reference. Thanks.

• Members

I'm pretty confident that these callsigns would refer to the type of troops, not their nominal activity.

There's also the potential to use standardized (for Germans) acronyms,

Aufkl for Aufklärer

KpTrFhr for Kompanietruppführer

KpFw for Kompaniefeldwebel

KpCh for Kompaniechef

PzAbw for Panzerabwehr

Vers for Versorgung

Schtz for Schützen

Mrs for Mörser (PzMrs if armored)

3 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I'm pretty confident that these callsigns would refer to the type of troops, not their nominal activity.

There's also the potential to use standardized (for Germans) acronyms,

Aufkl for Aufklärer

KpTrFhr for Kompanietruppführer

KpFw for Kompaniefeldwebel

KpCh for Kompaniechef

PzAbw for Panzerabwehr

Vers for Versorgung

Schtz for Schützen

Mrs for Mörser (PzMrs if armored)

Thanks, I might implement those. Very similar to Finnish military acronyms.