Good Scenarios for plain old Tank jockeys?

cj95

Hi... 

Im looking for good SP scenarios for the fresh second Lt who is barely trusted with his own single tank....and not the command of a freaking Brigade.

That is to say, good scenarios where i can command my tank and dont have to micromanage every tiny platoon on the map just to make sure they are all heading in the right direction.

Im here to drive tanks...not command armies.

This isnt to say I want a Me vs the world scenario like TANKS, but rather where somebody else is handling the )ai) and I just have to worry about my own little tank/platoon.

Thanks

15 hours ago, cj95 said:

Im looking for good SP scenarios for the fresh second Lt who is barely trusted with his own single tank....and not the command of a freaking Brigade.

Have you tried the vanilla scenarios? There a bunch of platoon-level scenarios. 

dont have to micromanage every tiny platoon on the map

I can understand the frustration, but also, there's great reward in learning how to manage more than a vehicle or platoon. 

From the perspective of the scenario designer: There aren't a lot of options to design a scenario that fits just a single vehicle or platoon- there are a limited number of tactical tasks for a tank platoon to perform. You can either conduct a hasty attack or hasty defense. 

I'd recommend my single player operation:

Edited by Apocalypse 31

13 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I for one welcome requests for scenarios with a specific scope.

In the last week I have posted two new small-scale scenarios, Ben has posted three, and Striker has posted a new version of his single-player campaign. You're getting exactly what you asked for: not to mention, I've already reached out to you with two single-player/small scale cooperative CAMPAIGNS.

At this point, I have to ask - What are you doing to promote the guys who are posting scenarios that fit the bill? Our scenarios seem to get lost in the downloads section. We've also made recommendations to better sort the downloads section to make it easier for new players to locate what they want. 

Right now we just have a 4.1 Single Player Section, in which any designer can upload a scenario, despite the size. 

Edited by Apocalypse 31

15 hours ago, cj95 said:

Hi... 

That is to say, good scenarios where i can command my tank and dont have to micromanage every tiny platoon on the map just to make sure they are all heading in the right direction.

Im here to drive tanks...not command armies.

This isnt to say I want a Me vs the world scenario like TANKS, but rather where somebody else is handling the )ai) and I just have to worry about my own little tank/platoon.

Thanks

Apocalypse wrote:

I'd recommend my single player operation:

And I'd second that recommendation...

15 hours ago, cj95 said:

good scenarios where i can command my tank and dont have to micromanage

I personally don't design missions on that scale for a few reasons:

1) Take more time to design and create - having to plan and script out the Blue units.

2) No replay value of the mission as the Blue plan is "on rails" you can't try new strategies.

3) You can still play with a single platoon and have fun with most of my scenarios (as long as you know how to call for indirect fires on infantry).

Try this one playing only as the Tank Platoon..  you will only need to bring in infantry to secure the objective once its clear.

You will have to make a basic engage route yourself, but can spend most time gunning or commanding.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions.   Ill have to try the scenarios mentioned.

While I agree as one person mentioned that its rewarding to manage large armies.....I play several varieties of wargames to do just that... but when I want to drive a tank, I dont want to spend the whole time herding cats to get everyone else in their proper position.  

This doesn't to my mind preclude large scenarios.  It would provide great replayability to have a huge battle and be relegated to one small task, and in the next replay try a different unit on another side of the battlefield.

Anyhow just my 2 cents.  Thanks for input

Edited by cj95

2 minutes ago, cj95 said:

I appreciate the comments and suggestions.   Ill have to try the scenarios mentioned.

While I agree as one person mentioned that its rewarding to manage large armies.....I play several varieties of wargames to do just that... when I want to drive a tank, I dont want to spend the whole time herding cats to get everyone else in their proper position.  

This doesn't to my mind preclude large scenarios.  It would provide great replayability to have a huge battle and be relegated to one small task, and in the next replay try a different unit on another side of the battlefield.

Anyhow just my 2 cents.  Thanks for input

This leaves few options:

1. Railroaded scenarios with very little replaybility that take A LOT of work to make. (Why would anyone do that?)

2. Or joining MP games...there you can play a single tank, while other players run the rest.

Edited by Grenny

Try my campaign missions. The "Moselle Defense" has 4 Abrams, but all the rest only have 2, very manageable. And they're based on the old Dynamix console game so they're kind of old school. Build primarily for fun and nostalgia rather than training though.

Oh, and I forgot to mention earlier that all the missions have randomization. Not crazy random but you can definitely play through them and some events happen differently giving you some good surprises. They'll take different routes depending on decisions you make or spawn in different places depending on which direction you take.

Edited by Striker
added info

11 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

In the last week I have posted two new small-scale scenarios, Ben has posted three, and Striker has posted a new version of his single-player campaign

And I got to say... with a new PC, a new install, and a lost of ALL my 100's of great platoon size+ missions (corrupt flashdrive) and little time for huge operations or missions myself I also prefer the smaller mission types... and Apocalype answered your questions in his quote above I have downloaded and started playing all that he mentioned... exactly what your looking for based on what I'm reading... loving these missions and now following these 3 creators. You should too. ;) 

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

In the last week I have posted two new small-scale scenarios, Ben has posted three, and Striker has posted a new version of his single-player campaign. You're getting exactly what you asked for: not to mention, I've already reached out to you with two single-player/small scale cooperative CAMPAIGNS.

At this point, I have to ask - What are you doing to promote the guys who are posting scenarios that fit the bill? Our scenarios seem to get lost in the downloads section. We've also made recommendations to better sort the downloads section to make it easier for new players to locate what they want. 

Right now we just have a 4.1 Single Player Section, in which any designer can upload a scenario, despite the size. 

There are 45 scenarios in the single player section - nothing is getting lost there.  They were divided up previously into categories, but folks didn't seem to like easy/difficult as categories.  Everyone is looking for something different, so categorizing on just one aspect might not be helpful.  

New files are promoted on the main page, not sure what else I can do to promote them more, other than maybe automatically spawning a thread in the scenario forum?

6 hours ago, Ssnake said:

We have these wonderful badges. Can we create a line for people who rate scenarios and provide feedback?

It think its a good thought, but I don't think special internet badges really mean anything. At least not to me, and I'm sure not for any newbie that joins the forums. 

My comment above was more about highlighting the work of those putting in the work. Why should someone who reviews a scenario be credited with something but not the people who uploaded?

A sce designer will put in hours to get a good mix of a scenario. 

-Uploads to the website

-The SCE will be on the front page for a few days until someone uploads something else

-Then buried in the 4.1 Single Player Scenarios

9 hours ago, Sean said:

There are 45 scenarios in the single player section - nothing is getting lost there

I disagree. The scenarios are getting lost.

If they weren't, then why do we experience the same thing over-and-over with new players asking for small scenarios?

People are inherently lazy and will not click through multiple links.

If its not on the front page then its getting lost.

Edited by Apocalypse 31

Some Ideas to make scenarios easier to find/choose

Reorganise all the built in scenarios, and add more.

A new GUI within SB to allow choosing scenarios with graphics (screenshots etc)  and better categorisation. 

Also, Scenario authors need to make Overview Text that is simple and informative (copying the whole briefing is not suitable). I try to do this with my scenario overviews so the player can get a quick idea of scenario scope when scrolling though the list in SB.

Since most of these questions seem to be focused on what a new player controls, perhaps a method to further classify new 4.1 scenarios in the download section is to organize them by the size of the element that the player is in direct control over. Something like:

Platoon 

Company

Battalion

Brigade 

This can be an optional classification by the scenario author to help further sub-divide them in a manner that is easy to find aside from the description. 

Some cases in point:

Seize Objective Bear (4.265) is a company-sized mission. I know this due to the description. It is also in the very first line so I don't even have to read the full description; I can easily see while scrolling through the full list of scenarios.

US ARMY COMBINED ARMS is a lot more vague, telling me that I have a "small force of US forces." I'm assuming that is a company-sized element, but unless I download the scenario I have no idea based on the description. I have to click on the scenario in question to read the blurb about a "small force of US forces."

Clearing Kandahar is a Platoon-sized mission, but I have to read up to Paragraph III of the OPORD to know this. 

Not picking on any of the authors, but this shows how it can be harder and more time consuming to find the scale of player control in a scenario just by reading the description... assuming that it actually tells you. Sub-dividing by scale would be a fantastic feature to help newer players (and make it quicker to sort through; even experienced players want something simple.)

Edited by Mirzayev

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, Apocalypse 31 said:

I disagree. The scenarios are getting lost.

If they weren't, then why do we experience the same thing over-and-over with new players asking for small scenarios?

People are inherently lazy and will not click through multiple links.

If its not on the front page then its getting lost.

What do you propose?  Some people are always going to ask for advise on good scenarios, rather than reading the descriptions.  

51 minutes ago, Mirzayev said:

Since most of these questions seem to be focused on what a new player controls, perhaps a method to further classify new 4.1 scenarios in the download section is to organize them by the size of the element that the player is in direct control over. Something like:

Platoon 

Company

Battalion

Brigade 

This can be an optional classification by the scenario author to help further sub-divide them in a manner that is easy to find aside from the description. 

Some cases in point:

Seize Objective Bear (4.265) is a company-sized mission. I know this due to the description. It is also in the very first line so I don't even have to read the full description; I can easily see while scrolling through the full list of scenarios.

US ARMY COMBINED ARMS is a lot more vague, telling me that I have a "small force of US forces." I'm assuming that is a company-sized element, but unless I download the scenario I have no idea based on the description. I have to click on the scenario in question to read the blurb about a "small force of US forces."

Clearing Kandahar is a Platoon-sized mission, but I have to read up to Paragraph III of the OPORD to know this. 

Not picking on any of the authors, but this shows how it can be harder and more time consuming to find the scale of player control in a scenario just by reading the description... assuming that it actually tells you. Sub-dividing by scale would be a fantastic feature to help newer players (and make it quicker to sort through; even experienced players want something simple.)

This... I really wish that it would read more clearly what player is directly in control of. It would help soon much. 

So often descriptions are vague and even promising description "of a small force" can mean almost anything from some infantry to company+ 

It is troublesome because...  Each one of us has different opinion and definition of what is "small" or "easy" or "difficult"... Recently i played a mission with friends that i though was very simple and easy..  but to them... It was very challenging and difficult.  I suppose... For me a 3 times larger enemy force (t72s) pushing agressively forward is "easy" but to my friends who struggle to find good cover and lack confidence and get tunnel visioned... That is overhelmingly difficult and stressful to deal with.

So i suppose... Clear definition of what player is in control of. Including type of vehicles... As unknown vehicle even if simple can be much trouble to some.. Shotkal and M60 to name couple notorious examples that new players struggle with.

And of enemy... Approx size of what could be expected and quality / capability in comparison.  Aka... How likely it is that mistakes become deadly errors instead of few more scratches on paint. Wouldn't need to tell exactly... Just to give idea of worst case scenario. 

Also... I really wish scenario designers would include mention if mission has map updates on? And compass or not.  Because those are things that can overhelm new player so easily. But can be things that some are specifically looking for.

1 hour ago, Mirzayev said:

And to answer the original post even more... this mission is my current favorite and the maker did ALOT of work... got to give him credit for that. It's a huge mission but all the units already have there paths and objectives... so if you just want to run 1 tank, or a platoon then you can. If you want to watch the battle unfold as a scout you can, if you want to simply run an AT gun or a Infantry squad, or a Bradley... you can. The mission is complete, it's a full show that you can jump in and take control of what you want.

I understand the posters point... as I get order I can't sit in this gaming chair for more then an hour or so... I like to just get in, run a platoon or whatever, then finish in a timely manner... so there are missions for that, as mentioned. Good Luck.

• Members

For version 5, we're planning to add integrated filter tools to help you search for certain categories of scenarios much quicker.

Of course, automated scenario scanning can do only so much, if the forces you control gradually expand with events, or if they depend on random variables.