Conditional or Event to capture a bridge being blown?

BadgerDog

Title says it all ...

Does anyone know of a "consistent" method to capture through "if then" conditionals or events, that would create a TRUE statement that a bridge has definitely been destroyed, whichI could then output a corresponding TEXT message accordingly?

I use the word "consistent" because it doesn't always work and register that circumstance for me, if I use an enemy vehicle as the trigger (destroyed or immobilized) to capture the condition or event.  I find that sometimes SB code simply randomly misses it. 🤔

There must be an easier and more guaranteed way to do this, or is what I'm using now the only way to do this?

Thanks for any feedback.. 👍

• Members

Blowing a bridge via IED (=demolition charge) could be done by global event, and that event being true could be referenced in other conditions and events, by same or other party. If someone asks for an air strike on a bridge and that is successful, well, I suppose the only way to detrect is would be an event whether a witness unit in the vicinity would be destroyed, or at least have an event whether it was under indirect fire. But of course that's a less precise metric.

Thanks Nils.. 👍

I have tried to set a global conditional and then reference it, but doesn't always set TRUE.  It's hit-n-miss using the destruction of an "enemy vehicle" that sets it off, so I was looking for a more certain way of testing for the event that would be 100%.

I guess I've currently got the best method available with the currently available code options. 🤔

• Members

"Destruction" of a vehicle is a potentially mushy metric. There are of course hard conditions when Steel Beasts rates a vehicle as "destroyed", but the question is how you actually destroy it in the mission. It might get severely damaged to the point where there isn't much difference between "completely mission incapable" and actually "destroyed".

Thanks again Nils... 👍

I think you're right and options are limited.

Even doing "or" testing for "operational", "destroyed", or "immobilized" fails to come up with a TRUE return.

I'd write some code if I had the API's for SB.  😃

Anyway, I'll see if I can rig a workaround ... ;)

2 hours ago, Ssnake said:

OR No of operational vehicles <1"

Interesting idea Nils. ;)

I've been testing for "operational", "destroyed", or "immobilized" ... to be >0, but I had't thought about your "no operational vehicles <1" approach.

I'll broaden the conditional "or" statements and with only 4 [or's] available, I do have 1 left.

Thanks.. 👍

Perhaps a topic for this weekend?

I can't recall off hand, but I think IED's can be tracked.

Perhaps use an IED with surplus capacity (say a bundle of JDAMs) that you know will drop the bridge, and then "If unit X does not exist" where X is the IED.

Once the IED detonates, unit X will no longer exist.

Edited by Gibsonm

7 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

I can't recall off hand, but I think IED's can be tracked.

3 hours ago, Ssnake said:

...hence the suggestion of a "witness unit".

Thanks Mark and Nils. 👍

I misunderstood Nils response and you've touched on what I completely missed in his first reply. 😧

"A witness unit"? I didn't know that an IED could be an actual friendly entity?  I thought Nils meant that I could use a friendly unit to watch the explosion and somehow test that as a conditional boolean expression to that event?

.. but, if an IED could be used just like an SB unit, then that changes things and let's me test "the bridge" with its conditional?

Have I misunderstood once again what you guys are talking about?

Thanks for the continuing feedback.  It's been very helpful in my quest to produce and awesome and realistic scenario, which I wouldn't have even been able to attempt without Mark's training and Nils answering questions with insight. ;)

• Members

Could be ANY unit from any party, that would register the blast (possibly by getting killed, like "witness plates" in ballistics tests). You the define a (global) event that registers the unit's state change, and then reference that event to indicate that the bomb went off.

If you spawn the witness unit a second before the IED goes off to blow the bridge (IOW, the IED condition needs a minimal delay being set), the chance of the unit getting killed by a different cause can be minimized.

It's a kludge... but I'm rather optimistic that it'll get the job done.

11 hours ago, BadgerDog said:

"A witness unit"? I didn't know that an IED could be an actual friendly entity?  I thought Nils meant that I could use a friendly unit to watch the explosion and somehow test that as a conditional boolean expression to that event?

.. but, if an IED could be used just like an SB unit, then that changes things and let's me test "the bridge" with its conditional?

Not quite.

I thought you could, hence "I can't recall off hand" but I did a test last night and was wrong.

What you can do though is as per Nils's response, for example:

a. Green unit (blind, impotent, etc.) "1A" under bridge.

b. Large cluster Blue (or Red) IED.

c. Green event "1A destroyed", true if 1A no longer exists.

d. Blue (or Red) event "Bridge destroyed" satisfied if Green event "1A destroyed" is true.

Detonating the IED, destroys Green 1A and drops bridge (as per earlier make the IED bundle big enough to ensure it drops the bridge), "1A destroyed" event happens.

Green "1A destroyed" event triggers Blue event "Bridge destroyed".

Player gets message about Bridge being destroyed indirectly (via the effect on the 1A witness unit) and without the loss of 1A impacting Blue or Red scoring etc.

Then its just a case of tuning the IED bundle (adjusting its size) so its small enough to drop the Bridge without obliterating several grid squares.

3 hours ago, DarkAngel said:

I don't get it. Why not just use the same logic for the event as you use to detonate the IED?.

This.   Very simple.  Event 1 blows IED and same event then used for bridge blown logic.  It’s an event not a condition.. as it happens only once.

11 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

Not quite.

I thought you could, hence "I can't recall off hand" but I did a test last night and was wrong.

Thanks Mark .. 👍

Maybe this is one of the things we can try with this Saturday's (Sunday morning) training session?

I have a few others to get your help as well.. ;)

11 hours ago, Gibsonm said: