Curved 34 inch (86 cm) monitor for SB ?

Koen

Hi,

I spotted a large curved 34 inch (86 cm) monitor.

It’s as if there are 3 screens next to each other !!!

=> How would it work with SB ?

=> Would SB be using all of the 34 inch and still be showing everything well proportioned ?

Thx for any advice !

https://www.philips.be/c-p/346B1C_00/gebogen-ultrabrede-lcd-monitor-met-usb-c

A53D980C-BC65-458A-8A21-AA6D9B1D9775.jpeg

Edited by Koen

• Members

In principle SB Pro will adapt to any aspect ratio of your screen. I think we have it that we try to fit the sight into the application window without cutting off anything from gun sights. Obviously, this means that you have a circular view in the center of the screen with lots of black margin left and right (if the view was stretched from one end to the other in 21:9 aspect ratio, there's a good chance that certain vital status displays in the gun sight wouldn't be visible, such as the range reading and ready-to-fire light in the T-72's top end (or the Leopard 2's display at the bottom)).

So, in that sense it's "safe" to use ultra-wide monitors.

In the unbuttoned/external observer views, obviously the amount of sky visible will shrink as in these sights the full width of the screen space will be used. So, if there's a lot of targets in elevated locations, you'll have to pan the view vertically more often. But all that is probably tolerable.

The biggest issue is probably that the WQHD screen resolution makes the text and UI elements in SB Pro very small since they are (right now) in fixed pixel size and don't scale. We're working on it, but it'll take a while before you'll see the results. Also, some people reported their mouse pointer disappearing in 4K fullscreen mode; that's where the command line parameter --fullscreenwindow comes into play. In addition, I think you'll learn to appreciate the --UIarea command line parameter to shift the location of the chat/message bar and the control elements to the middle rather than having some elements on the extreme left and others on the extreme right.

It's not super difficult to get this to work but you'll probably have to experiment a little. Since the command line options are only very sparsely documented in the user's manual, we're currently preparing a tutorial video. The gist of it, open the command line in the Steel Beasts program directory ..\release\ and type SBProPE64CM.exe --help.

This opens a message box that lists all the available command line options along with the syntax description.

@Koen,

Hi,

I have an MSI Optix MAG341CQ 34" curved monitor in use as i type with SB Pro PE in full screen at 3440 x 1440, 100Hz.  No issues at all reading text in the turret or anywhere else as far as i  can see?

Not sure if that helps or if you are referring to other in-game text etc?

See screenies below:

sb_screen01.jpg

sb_screen03.jpg

sb_screen02.jpg

sb_screen04.jpg

15 minutes ago, minimi66 said:

@Koen,

Not sure if that helps or if you are referring to other in-game text etc?

I'm referring to reports I've read about:

The initial menu screen

The briefings

The text bar  along the bottom of the screen

The ammunition / damage indicators in the top right hand corner

I don't have a massive screen so I do not have first hand experience of the issue.

10 hours ago, Gibsonm said:

I'm referring to reports I've read about:

The initial menu screen

The briefings

The text bar  along the bottom of the screen

The ammunition / damage indicators in the top right hand corner

I don't have a massive screen so I do not have first hand experience of the issue.

Ok, no problem mate, see the screens below, this is what i'm getting currently in terms of text size and readability etc.  No issues for me but i wear prescription reading glasses when using PC.

sb_screen05.jpg

sb_screen06.jpg

sb_screen07.jpg

sb_screen08.jpg

17 hours ago, Koen said:

Thx @minimi66

For now I resorted to linking the laptop to a widescreen TV 📺

Not perfect (lower FPS, hmm why ?)

Still a BLAST
Because a huge cinematograpic experience 😎

Screenshots from this superbe mission by @Tankriver658

1A952C38-682B-4F2C-932D-8E3B00C0BCE5.jpeg

8BCE38A4-66D9-4B3D-B88F-6EF078FA5224.jpeg

Hi,

Regarding the lower FPS its most likely due to a lot of Wide Screen TV's still only have a Refresh Rate of 30 Hz which limits FPS to around 29 fps.  I think some very recent models have a higher refresh rate or a "Game Mode" that allows faster refresh but i think they are at the more expensive end of the price range?

Maybe i'm mistaken and someone else can elaborate?

The monitor i now have is the BEST one i have ever owned!!  Am going to get a larger maybe 43" curved 120 MHz one eventually.

I can recommend Samsungs 49 inch (120cm vide)

its 3840 x 1080 curved with a refresh rate of 144 its the best 1600 $ i have ever given out last i checked it cost around a 1000 $ 

_EFMLIYpC8j40Zr2jKj1KkHYFNbqcd4G0HFW0s4QejbvsBt_kyZKn7qgPDcnF8fDysnIikXMSpDvevt7PagPc3A7SQFrW6TdE1xcB-KougHcUyIa8S8_fle79bCluAyvVDacsuDR4xSMUNUOGrdSMEIWU7gi6lC1Qz9YwLE2Wqeir78XI_mT1kKKuJlFXG8vpIWoeEW1AcmNWdD5cund4KnAUu8i_ZbY_N243uhF_NBf2hf8WqRsBGu2JJ_xfoE-LEAn1eSn0DaFH7ee3n6BuUekgct53_FV0ZyYxdKv9S2RoeWjWbI6iimBu_iha2QjK4FLQoZ0p1jPjSjVkmkhrS3_BH_tKwzs06i4Mb9dUZbmwePFb6Hx3JImKfKdoPLWKEzbsN8Kc7_gxsrEbQMgw-BZgolv_cT2hJmp0t8qcrAgXdDZG2cQWnPfbyMkh-QvGA02YvsTjMcoZbOZzv8YDM2U5QmL8ZE0uoXOB0GRj4dSTwRKrMlC3VU6IcfhK8YbNXwbmlCjh4oO4885Tp29sejp6IP8n2spz9fCSudpMAu3f_PxSpPX2xCfAN6ZGO0nBVyqgu1wyninF5Nb3g9nm2UwGlRbvE9k-sBAHVDTaDA_w-sJk6iPBBfIrWQL6gmY7o8CE3BjMGO9kZTuHpCw1JGhC1E9Z-JACx9e1EsCiGzttECCMx5XQ1nJIMtPIxSIPAUcEQCckPQZp1qgrKFPirW8=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0

The other screen is a 27 inch monitor and the one above is a 24 inch all driven by a 1080 card i cant even feel if i record at the same time performance vice

Not even when i host the kanium sunday games others might but thats more of a network problem not a screen refresh.

MD

Edited by Major duck

On 8/25/2021 at 10:45 AM, minimi66 said:

Hi,

Regarding the lower FPS its most likely due to a lot of Wide Screen TV's still only have a Refresh Rate of 30 Hz which limits FPS to around 29 fps.  I think some very recent models have a higher refresh rate or a "Game Mode" that allows faster refresh but i think they are at the more expensive end of the price range?

Maybe i'm mistaken and someone else can elaborate?

Aha, didn’t know that (RE low Refresh Rate)

Those more recent “gaming” TV’s are indeed not cheap …/…

See the example given by @Major duck(thx !) or here: 

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-4k-gaming-tv,review-4837.html

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-tv-for-video-games/

…/… but there are some advantages with gaming TV’s:

Next to the obvious fact that they’re not just for gaming but also a TV, their georgeous widescreen could lure the teenagers out of their rooms again from time to time, and back into the family living room 😎